Why all the Hate on NanoRay rackets??

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by mms6a, May 14, 2013.

1. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Here is the question: "Are racket choices really THAT important??"

Really, I think technique is more important than the racket choice... With the right techniques, any racket would perform well (even those steel and weight training rackets, but of course you do not want to use them at a tournament lol)... Of course this would apply to mostly high-intermediates and advance/pros as most lower tiered players still lack the proper technique in swing, footwork and wrist strength...

I have seen people in my local clubs where he/she (mostly male though) would have a bag full of high end rackets, from different series and different models... When it comes to actually playing, it is not that impressive, then the person would take a timeout before the next set to switch to a different racket... It is almost seem that the person rely on the racket to do the work...

Some of the recent criticized rackets are NanoRay series... From my search on the forums and internet, it seems that most people dislike this series. Could this be the fact that the racket is hard for general players to wield that gets all the hate? Or could it just be a poorly designed racket?(probably not or else pros would not use these rackets at a risky international tournament.)

I have yet to own a NanoRay series racket, but recently I gathered enough money to replace my cracked APACS Slayer 99... Originally I was going to go for a VT-80 to compliment my VT-ZF, but now I decided to get a NanoRay 700RP or an NanoRay 800...

My question is Why all the Hate on those NanoRay rackets?

Are they really that "Hard" to use?

2. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

I think you're reading too much into it. Of course you should get a racket that suit your style of play. There is no such thing as the perfect racket. Just because some people hate the NR800 doesn't mean it's a bad racket. It's important to have good technique, but you should still get a racket that you're comfortable with. Stop worrying what the pros are using. Go and try out a variety of rackets and find one you're comfortable with.

3. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Seriously not worried what the pros are using... I am also not really a brand loyalist.

But I got curious at all the mediocre to bad reviews on the NanoRay rackets on the interwebs.

NanoRay rackets prices have dropped significantly at different authorized retailers in stores and over the web... This is probably due to the lack of interest and sales...

Now I have enough money to get a new racket, I decided to just buy a NanoRay 700RP or 800 (have not decided on the model yet) just to have a play.

My personal go to racket is still a APACS Tantrum 200, Yonex MP-99, or my Yonex VT-ZF....

Anyways, will report back when I get my racket.

4. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

I used to use a Lethal 70 and always thought if I had a lighter racket like the nanoray I would lose power. Plus, all the bad reviews made me not want to get one. Fortunately, someone at my club had a nanoray 800 and I had a Z slash I never used. We decided to trade our rackets, and now the nanoray 800 is my fav racket. Plus my power actually went up

5. Ashdelsol7

Ashdelsol7 Regular Member

Cad
    i love the nanorays.....i have two 800's. I bought a vt80 last summer and found it so slow to defend with.....much prefer the fast speed from the nanoray.....power is fine from it. I have also used the 700rp and this is a nice racket....not quite as quick as the 800 but still up there.

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

No. Find something that suits you, then get on with playing. If you want to get better, train.

...which is a great way to confuse the hell out of yourself, so that your timing is never right.

7. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher

Indeed you are right on that lol.

8. geubes

geubes Regular Member

I liked my 700fx while it lasted. lightweight fragile frame for a left hander in doubles (2 forehands down the middle) is a recipe for disaster.... 3 weeks it lasted.

I now have a bravesword, similar swing speed but more heavy duty, already clashed and still in one peice.

9. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    Originally I also wanted to try a NanoRay 700/800 racket to see what all the negative fuss was about. But the problem is literally almost no one I can find in my local club uses a NanoRay lol.

The store rackets has no string on it, therefore it would be dry weight. I swing around the frame a littlr, and found it light feeling, and the shaft is bit stiffer than medium, not as stiff as my VT-ZF. I asked the store regarding return policy, they said once the racket is strung, I will not be able tomreturn it.

I really wish we have some Yonex UK coded rackets. All those UK coded rackets, no matter how highend it is, will always come prestrung with BG-65Ti. It would make testing Highend rackets at thr store much more easier, and will not be a hassle to return...

The racket is really not popular here in Canada. Most players who are using Yonex are mostly using Voltric series, ArcSaber series and a portion of them also uses the older NanoSpeed and ArmorTec series...

Well, I decided to buy a brand new NanoRay 700RP (3U) in the old color scheme Shine Orange (mostly because It is cheap) Bought the US- coded racket for $100 from distributor.

To all thr NanoRay owners, Which string does this racket pair well with?

10. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    i don't like or dislike the nanoray line...

i just don't see it as enough of an improvement over the nanospeed line to justify all the hype/marketing/pricing.

which means if i was gonna get a good price on a nanoray i'd bite, but otherwise i'm okay.

i guess 'cause i already have nanospeed i don't feel the need for nanoray. but it's a good line for those who weren't around for nanospeed i suppose.

(someone please correct me if i'm wrong.)

11. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

That's cheap. My NR80 costs $110 US. And it feels heavier than Dunlop Evo even though both are 4U. Wish I have access to distributors.

12. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    You can probably find cheaper retail Yonex rackets on eBay than your local retailers. (Though most of the cheaper eBay rackets are TW, AS or UK coded).

I bought a few eBay rackets at a bargain through the "Best Offer" option a few years ago. It was for a Ti-10 frame only for around $115 with free standard international shipping (came from Taiwan and was TW coded.)

Those retail stores are pretty darn expensive. In Canada, we got MaxSports and SportChek etc and they have very high price tags CD coded rackets. They sell the standard version of Voltric Z Force for $250, and the Limited edition Voltric Z Force 88 for $260 ---- CD coded.

Same goes with Badminton Alley - US coded, a Voltric Z Force is $240 and the VT-ZF 88 is $300!!!!

These retailer prices are rocket sky high.

I bought my standard VT-ZF 4U - CD coded from a distributor for $145 + tax.

I also bought a VT-ZF 88 4U - US coded from US Birdie on Amazon for $190 (no sales tax and free shipping). Shipping took about 3 days from California to New York. I drove down to New York to pick up during the long weekend a month ago. There is very little sticker decals on the limited edition. Also there is a clear coat on top, so the decals will no peel like the standard VT-ZF and the Olympic VT-ZF.

I will receive my NanoRay 700RP frame next week or so. Will test it and hopefully it is decent.

13. Sgt_Strider

Yep. I couldn't have said it better myself.

14. gmksg

gmksg Regular Member

My friend loves the NR700FX so much tat he got 3 of them n sold off his AT900P, AT700, Cab30:)

Ultimately, it's down to getting a racket tat suits yr playing-style n fine-tuning yr strikes as u go along.

15. Sgt_Strider

That's such a silly question to ask. Of course there will be no returns. That's like buying a pair of shoes, go out and walk around, and then return it.

It also sounds like if they were strung, you would buy them, go out and play a few games, and then return it. I would hate to be the person to buy that racket not knowing that someone before had used it.

#15 Sgt_Strider, May 17, 2013
    Last edited: May 17, 2013
  16. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Just to add on top of what the pros are using.

Note, that some of the pros are using customized rackets which look/disguised identically like the retail rackets.

17. Sgt_Strider

lol, it doesn't matter. Contrary to what he said, I think he's heavily influenced by what the pros are using. I love seeing the look of people's faces when they can't hit like a pro or play like the pro. Little do they realize that the racket that they're using doesn't really suit them.

18. Matt

Matt Regular Member

IT Developer
    Lol!! Yes, true. It's the racket, not the player...! :p

It's the player, not the racket!

19. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher

No even If the racket is strung, I will not return it if I like it. Racket is such a personal thing (much like others thing like headphones). One may love and one may hate. And since there are so many differentmodels out here regardless of popularity, you will not see all of them in a club nor will you be able to burrow it. For me swing a dry racket feels way different than swin and actuall playing with a strung racket.

Also, I could not care less what thr pros are using. The remark from the OP was made purely basednon what I SEE in a club, not what I do. I see few low intemprmediate players trying to wield NS9900 and VT-ZF and are pulling off somewhat bad shots with them. I must be sure their shots would slightly improve if using a more flex and even balanced/slight head heavy racket.

Pro players on the other hand can pretty much make consistent shot with almost any CF racket. Their consistency and able to play under pressure is pretty much what make them pros lol.

20. mms6a

mms6a Regular Member

Smasher
    I am aware of that since you can reso the paint job on almost any racket including A grade fakes that "looks" almost like the genuine racket except it does not perform well, though this is from a counterfeit perspective.

I doubt even if thr racket is modified, the bare specs should be still at the consumer model's specs. Afterall, this is Yonex/Victor/etc we are talking about, if the racket under the paintjob is totally new racket, I would count that as false advertisment. Lol

Counterfeits are a different story thiugh.