Urgent reply required regarding badminton racket choice please

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Jamie, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Jamie

Jamie Regular Member

Student
    Hello All!

I'm currently playing with a Yonex Ti5 which I feel is not performing very well for me. I got it about 8 months back and have improved DRAMATICALLY since them. I have the chance to purchase a Carlton Megaflex Li F1 for £70 (half the RRP) and am wondering if this would be a good choice.

Points about my game:

1) My drop shots are my strong points - I win most points with these.
    2) I cannot generate much power when smashing, my smashes are pretty weak but are currently improving and I have doubled my power in the last couple of weeks.
    3) My overhead clears lack some power. I can't hit backcourt to backcourt yet but am getting better all the time.
    4) I have a slight problem timing and keeping my eye on the shuttlecock, but again, I feel I am getting better at this.
    5) I am good at serving and winning points on the serve.
    6) When smashing I regularly hit the net: I think this is due to my timing.

Would this racket be a good choice considering the price?

Thank you very much for all your advice!

2. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    improve technique. i've played with the ti-5 before too. i was able to produce some pretty decent clears (some went all the way out) and smashes with it. so keep on improving on technique first.

3. Jamie

Jamie Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the reply. My technique definitely needs improving - I agree.. but the Ti5 just doesn't feel right, whereas it did when I started playing.

Anyone else?

4. shiriblue

shiriblue Regular Member

Student
    what do you mean by it doesnt feel right?

5. TrunkZ69

TrunkZ69 Regular Member

Student
    go find a racket that does feel right.... i don't think our suggestions will help you ge that feeling. just try out a bunch of diff. rackets.

6. Yipom

Yipom Regular Member

If ur gonna guy ur racket off E-bay or some Bidding sites, i personaly think that its better if u actully touch, give the racket some pratice swings, make sure you have the right "feel".....

7. Sandman

Sandman Regular Member

buisinessman
    I have a Megaflex F1Ti but my "feel" on my racket wouldn't exactly be the same as yours. It would be a lot better if you do find a racket that you could try out first before you buy it. All the specs in the world wouldn't help you unless you could actually get to swing the racket itself. Numbers only go so far.

Just in case this would help-- i find the magalfex F1 powerful but not quite quick enough. If your forte is net shots, then I suggest you go for a more control oriented racket like the head-light F3. If you want more raw power, then the head-heavy F2 is the ticket. I simply don't find the even-balanced F1 "even" enough. At 93grams, it feels a bit clumsy at the net. It's a nice compromise though. BUT that's only my opinion and with my abilities. Your mileage will definitely vary.

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I second shiriblue's suggestion and added that as you get better, your preference will change... so it's better to stick with your Ti-5 for now and master the fundamentals first. There's always gonna be a better deal coming along the way in the future, so don't worry about getting a 'good' racquet just yet.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    As u described, seems ur game greatly improved in the past months or so, and still have enough categories to be worked on. Therefore, I think staying with Ti-5 for another several months should be a better idea.

If u can actually feel the difference in ur playing in just several weeks, I think u did not settle down on a certain "form" yet. Therefore, frequently switching from rackets to rackets will waste ur time to get the "feeling".

Also, I think serve requests good technique, experience and consistency. A "better" racket or just fancy tricks won't give u consistent advantage (especially against experienced players) in serve right there.

10. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Or instead of changing racquet, get it restrung.