User Tag List

View Poll Results: Was BWF right to give Lin Dan a wildcard?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - for the good of the game

    85 66.41%
  • No - he hasn't played for 8 months

    38 29.69%
  • Don't know - I can't decide - it's complicated :-(

    5 3.91%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 99
  1. #1
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,198
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Lin Dan WILDCARD to the 2013 World Championships: Yes or no?

    Should be nice to have a little poll about the topic.

    Please refer to the other thread for continued discussion.

    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/126864-LIN-DAN-got-wild-card


    This thread is NOT meant to be the discussion thread so subsequent discussion posts here may well be deleted.
    Last edited by Cheung; 05-20-2013 at 12:43 AM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,568
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    so, the latest poll shown;

    Badminton lovers - 3
    Malaysian - 1

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Citizen of The World
    Posts
    17,048
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    so, the latest poll shown;

    Badminton lovers - 3
    Malaysian - 1
    Friend, I always enjoy your sense of humour, both the subtle ones as well as the sharp,pointed ones. The other guy whose humour I miss is maxout who we've not heard for a long time.

    Frankly, to me, this poll is unnecessary and serves no purpose, the more so when we already have a thread to discuss Lin Dan's wild card.

    My reasons are two. One, personally, the answer has to be a resounding yes, no two ways about it; of course, this is arguable and debatable as I can only speak for myself. Two, it's purely academic now as BWF , the world governing body, has already officially awarded the wild card and they are authorized to do so,perfectly legitimate. It's not like they quickly held an EGM to pass a new rule for it, even so it's legal provided they've the referendum for it.

    Don't forget, MAS BAM as host in 2007 WC issued 5 wild cards to themselves; now CBA as host is unable to do so because the rule has changed and they have to depend on BWF to do so based on their own merits.

  4. #4
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,568
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    Friend, I always enjoy your sense of humour, both the subtle ones as well as the sharp,pointed ones. The other guy whose humour I miss is maxout who we've not heard for a long time.
    I've never been more serious in my entire life! except this one.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Citizen of The World
    Posts
    17,048
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Hi Cheung, my apologies, please don't be mistaken, I've nothing against the poll and have already voted yes. Thanks and sorry for expressing my views here.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Citizen of The World
    Posts
    17,048
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanY View Post
    I've never been more serious in my entire life! except this one.
    Ah friend, shouldn't you add an emoticon such as or or anything you like so that I don't have to second-guess your subtle point? It's getting a little too nuanced for me - you're a master of offbeat humour, my admiration for you.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    4,216
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I just voted "Yes". It's now 11:2:1....

  8. #8
    Regular Member nokh88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    9,045
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Should be nice to have a little poll about the topic.

    Please refer to the other thread for continued discussion.

    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/126864-LIN-DAN-got-wild-card


    This thread is NOT meant to be the discussion thread so subsequent discussion posts here may well be deleted.
    Referring to the bold text, why is post #3 still not deleted?

    Still there are some members who can't read and understand simple English.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Citizen of The World
    Posts
    17,048
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Regarding my post #3, at most the last paragraph constituted a discussion of the topic, the rest are merely casual views of the poll in general, not the subject matter as such. I trust the moderators will take a liberal,enlightened and open-minded approach to minor transgressions, if any.

    Imagine someone taking upon himself to police the forum with his intolerance,narrow-mindedness ,self-righteousness and veiled personal attacks. Frankly, I don't know whether to laugh or be annoyed. I respect and trust the moderator's broad-mindedness and sensibilities.

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,198
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Answers to some questions.

    a) regarding deletion. Although the mods are wonderful and talented persons, they are not telepaths nor do they have the ability to know what is going to be written before being posted (like in the film 'Minority Report'). The original poster gave a lot of leeway using the word 'may' (which was quite deliberate).

    b) usefulness of the poll? It does give a snapshot of opinion, though it does have limitations. It's principle advantage is one person, one chance of voting. There may be multiple and vociferous posts in protests by only a very small number of protestors giving a skewed impression.

    c) we don't always produce a poll. Only for those very interesting topics. This particular question helps verify whether we, as part of a wider badminton community, think BWF are doing the right things.

    D) timing of the poll? Is it too late? Our original thread did contain a discussion that might have helped change people's minds on the matter.
    Last edited by Cheung; 05-20-2013 at 11:54 AM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,568
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Answers to some questions.

    a) regarding deletion. Although the mods are wonderful and talented persons, they are not telepaths nor do they have the ability to know what is going to be written before being posted (like in the film 'Minority Report'). The original poster gave a lot of leeway using the word 'may' (which was quite deliberate).

    b) usefulness of the poll? It does give a snapshot of opinion, though it does have limitations. It's principle advantage is one person, one chance of voting. There may be multiple and vociferous posts in protests by only a very small number of protestors giving a skewed impression.

    c) we don't always produce a poll. Only for those very interesting topics. This particular question helps verify whether we, as part of a wider badminton community, think BWF are doing the right things.

    D) timing of the poll? Is it too late? Our original thread did contain a discussion that might have helped change people's minds on the matter.
    may be, may be, may be some people don't understand simple English.

  12. #12
    Regular Member AlanY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,568
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    Regarding my post #3, at most the last paragraph constituted a discussion of the topic, the rest are merely casual views of the poll in general, not the subject matter as such. I trust the moderators will take a liberal,enlightened and open-minded approach to minor transgressions, if any.

    Imagine someone taking upon himself to police the forum with his intolerance,narrow-mindedness ,self-righteousness and veiled personal attacks. Frankly, I don't know whether to laugh or be annoyed. I respect and trust the moderator's broad-mindedness and sensibilities.
    Justin, this one is for you

    never a big fan of those icon thingi. i believe this is the 2nd time i used them since i joined BC 4-5 years ago.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Citizen of The World
    Posts
    17,048
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Answers to some questions.

    a) regarding deletion. Although the mods are wonderful and talented persons, they are not telepaths nor do they have the ability to know what is going to be written before being posted (like in the film 'Minority Report'). The original poster gave a lot of leeway using the word 'may' (which was quite deliberate).

    b) usefulness of the poll? It does give a snapshot of opinion, though it does have limitations. It's principle advantage is one person, one chance of voting. There may be multiple and vociferous posts in protests by only a very small number of protestors giving a skewed impression.

    c) we don't always produce a poll. Only for those very interesting topics. This particular question helps verify whether we, as part of a wider badminton community, think BWF are doing the right things.

    D) timing of the poll? Is it too late? Our original thread did contain a discussion that might have helped change people's minds on the matter.
    Thanks, Cheung, for your clarifications. Your point (b) is excellent, I agree with it totally; my bad for overlooking this important and useful purpose as there are those who don't or seldom post but may be interested to vote anonymously.

  14. #14
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,198
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin L View Post
    Thanks, Cheung, for your clarifications. Your point (b) is excellent, I agree with it totally; my bad for overlooking this important and useful purpose as there are those who don't or seldom post but may be interested to vote anonymously.
    Thanks Justin.

    We try not to be pedantic about posts. There are certain areas which are off-limits: we are much more strict on politics, religion and discriminatory profiling.

  15. #15
    Regular Member undeadshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    马来西亚
    Posts
    8,336
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I voted yes and I am Malaysian

  16. #16
    Regular Member chris-ccc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    26,817
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Arrow Reigning title-holders to be given the opportunity to return to defend their titles

    .
    I voted 'YES' because all reigning title-holders should be given the opportunity to return to defend their titles.
    .

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    antartica
    Posts
    745
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I believe LIn Dan will win the title this time.... I just watched the All England 2009 MS final again, .... and looking at the other matches involving LCW, LCW just lacks that long reach, height and power that LD has over him.... if LD trains as hard as LCW , LD should win this WC'13 tournament ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •