User Tag List

View Poll Results: Was BWF right to give Lin Dan a wildcard?

Voters
128. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - for the good of the game

    85 66.41%
  • No - he hasn't played for 8 months

    38 29.69%
  • Don't know - I can't decide - it's complicated :-(

    5 3.91%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 35 to 51 of 99
  1. #35
    Regular Member demolidor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    @Hollanti
    Posts
    11,804
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    However hard I try I can't see the connection between Lin Dan and Ivanisevic either yet it is your #1 argument . At least he tried and showed up at tournaments ...

    ... comparing World Championships to regular open tournaments ... -smh-
    ... comparing reserves to wild cards ... -smh-

    Ans yes 70% is thinking with 2 inch wood. If you are so hot for the possibility of LCW vs LD, pass the hat around and put up a million USD for a best of three mano-a-mano .
    Maybe next year Jan Jorgensen will take a sabatical after picking up that $90,000 he wants at the IPL, joined by BoMo and Fischer Price because after all the WC 2014 is in Denmark and it would be a commercial failure if they didn't qualify .

    That said, I am not completely opposed to the home organizer having a wildcard for the WC. It just so happens this isn't the case right now according to the current regulations. BWF stepped up instead and performed a 180 on their earlier comments.

    I also don't blame Lin Dan for taking a break. It makes complete sense after an Olympic cycle and there should be more room for everyone to take a decent break which their hardly is with this calendar. Of course arguably 3 months after the OG is more than enough for anyone ...
    And he is in a difficult position with the WC held in China and him being the face of Chinese badminton to refuse the wildcard (or perhaps they mistakenly thought they were entitled to one from the beginning).

    But it's all behind us now anyway so ... whatever . I am not even going to watch it ...
    Last edited by demolidor; 07-17-2013 at 02:17 PM.

  2. #36
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Badmintonshire
    Posts
    1,623
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
    I voted No.. Simple.. Without playing any tournament for more than 8 months and getting away with the ticket is like jackpot.

    Anyhow, BWF might have taken this tough decision in order to get more sponsors as the tournament is going to be happened in china.

    No probs.. Anyhow happened is happened.. He is also preparing excellently well for the championships (Courtesy: Some of the videos i have seen training very hard in the gym and practicing on the court)..Players Who play world championship for the first time and also who gonna meet him will definitely get a good learning experience.
    I must give a like to what you said though we voted differently.

    .... what you said just like this is another scorpion2..

  3. #37
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    msian, jpn
    Posts
    78
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    what if lindan concede a walkover for chenlong? it might happen.

  4. #38
    Regular Member Loh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore Also Can
    Posts
    12,194
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Badminton: Lin Dan, Chong Wei on world championships collision course

    Published on Jul 22, 2013
    10:15 PM


    HONG KONG (AFP) - Badminton superstars Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei are on course for their latest major title showdown after being placed in opposite sides of the world championships draw on Monday.

    Lee, the world number one from Malaysia, had feared a meeting with his Chinese nemesis in the early rounds after the reigning world and Olympic champion entered the tournament on a wildcard.

    However at a draw in Guangzhou, Lin and Lee landed in different halves of the field, meaning they cannot meet before the August 11 final in the southern Chinese city.

    "Super Dan" has beaten Lee in the last two Olympic finals and in the title match at the last world championships in 2011, when the Chinese ace lifted the trophy for a fourth time.

  5. #39
    Regular Member kelana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Parmir Mountains, Silk Road
    Posts
    3,093
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Thumbs down Blame it to the draw!

    Quote Originally Posted by honeong View Post
    what if lindan concede a walkover for chenlong? it might happen.
    Blame it to the draw... it should have put LD vs LCW in the 1st/2nd/3rd round for the sake of every one thus removing all the doubts and other insidious forethoughts

    It will be interesting to see if a poll is raised here querying "is it better to have LD vs LCW in the 1st/2nd/3rd round i/o the current draw?"
    Last edited by kelana; 07-25-2013 at 11:48 AM.

  6. #40
    Regular Member nokh88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    8,667
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Another poll?
    Followed by long and boring verbosity posts by LD fans?
    Let them compete first, then talk.

  7. #41
    Regular Member kelana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Parmir Mountains, Silk Road
    Posts
    3,093
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    [QUOTE=nokh88;2117197]Another poll?
    Followed by long and boring verbosity posts by LD fans?
    Let them compete first, then talk.[/QUOTE]

    In fact it's my first wish to have LD vs LCW compete first, then talk... incl. all the insidious forethoughts

  8. #42
    Regular Member M3Series's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    KL, Malaysia
    Posts
    373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    BWF allows the abuse of wildcard just for the sake of commercials. End of story.

    It's too obvious and you guys arguing upon LD's qualification which I have no doubt he can defend his title once again. It has nothing to do with qualification, attitude or skipping tourneys.

    It is BWF's main agenda to make sure badminton is not underrated sports anymore than it is. Therefore, do the math......No LD No Viewers.

    Because of this purpose, I voted no. Just my 2 cents .

  9. #43
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    came from the SAR
    Posts
    3,975
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Until now, i had agreed with BWF granting wild card to LD. It was a commercial decision, since LD vs LCW (in the final) is what everyone wanted to see.

    But my view is now changed. I think BWF's decision was short sighted. You can't rely on LD vs LCW forever. Younger players need opportunities.

    Just look at WS. With ZN and XXF retired, new and young players have emerged (from within or outside China). It was good for the WS discipline.

    If LD and LCW continue to dominate (for the next one year or two), it would not be good for the sport in the long run.

  10. #44
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    San Jose, California
    Posts
    1,645
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Out of the 64 MS entries, how many of them people will pay to watch? I bet no more than 10. Even thought LD is not ready, this is just an easy decision for the organizer to get wild card to LD.

  11. #45
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,816
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    Until now, i had agreed with BWF granting wild card to LD. It was a commercial decision, since LD vs LCW (in the final) is what everyone wanted to see.

    But my view is now changed. I think BWF's decision was short sighted. You can't rely on LD vs LCW forever. Younger players need opportunities.

    .
    Might as well try and milk it while it lasts. There are young players coming up yes, but show me a match that even comes close to the quality/excitement of watching LD V LCW match. A lot of matches it looks like players play 50% after watching LD/LCW constantly diving etc different class. The younger players can't come close to that. Even chen Long not in the same league as LCW just been trained to beat him solely.

  12. #46
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    came from the SAR
    Posts
    3,975
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craigandy View Post
    Might as well try and milk it while it lasts. There are young players coming up yes, but show me a match that even comes close to the quality/excitement of watching LD V LCW match. A lot of matches it looks like players play 50% after watching LD/LCW constantly diving etc different class. The younger players can't come close to that. Even chen Long not in the same league as LCW just been trained to beat him solely.
    Just look at Women's Singles. If XXF and ZN didn't retire when they did, LXR, WYH, WX, WSX, Saina, etc would not have emerged, and we would not have witnessed the rise of LXR and the epic battle and rivalry between LXR and WYH in 2012.

    If LD and LCW retire now (or sometime within this year), I am sure someone will come from behind and become the archrival of Chen Long.
    Last edited by pcll99; 08-02-2013 at 12:19 PM.

  13. #47
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    214
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Cmon guys the organizer needs stream of money that LD provided.. Commercial, tv, ticket sales, etc.. My point is, if you guys are the organizers you would've done the same stuff..

  14. #48
    Regular Member craigandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,816
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    Just look at Women's Singles. If XXF and ZN didn't retire when they did, LXR, WYH, WX, WSX, Saina, etc would not have emerged, and we would not have witnessed the rise of LXR and the epic battle and rivalry between LXR and WYH in 2012.

    If LD and LCW retire now (or sometime within this year), I am sure someone will come from behind and become the archrival of Chen Long.
    There is a big difference in what you are saying though. In WS I thought watching a XXF and ZN is similar in quality to watching LXR/WYH same same for me. But watching a LD v LCW match is like night and day when watching any other younger players v themselves.
    Last edited by craigandy; 08-03-2013 at 09:01 AM.

  15. #49
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    KL & Sg
    Posts
    5,315
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Was BWF right to give Lin Dan a wildcard?
    They have the right to. For whatever reason.

  16. #50
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    [0,0,0]
    Posts
    497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qidong View Post
    Out of the 64 MS entries, how many of them people will pay to watch? I bet no more than 10. Even thought LD is not ready, this is just an easy decision for the organizer to get wild card to LD.
    So then why bother having qualifications? In fact screw it why bother with the matches lets just have a draw and submit it round by round to online polling.

    I don't agree with your argument. What you are arguing is a condemnation on the game of badminton. The idea that it is so weak that its appeal rests on the shoulders of a single player is I hope, untrue.
    Last edited by thunder.tw; 08-05-2013 at 02:43 PM.

  17. #51
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    [0,0,0]
    Posts
    497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hcyong View Post
    Was BWF right to give Lin Dan a wildcard?
    They have the right to. For whatever reason.
    Blah blah right blah blah. Yes I hear a lot of about rights but, as the governing body doesn't the BWF have a responsibility to the integrity of the game? Don't they have a responsibility to the players ensure that all players compete on a level playing field where the rules for one are the same for all? There is no greater failure of responsibility on the part of any government or ruling body than the failure to adhere to its own standards and rules.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •