cappy75

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by cappy75, Nov 23, 2003.

1. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Yikes! A confession about my dirty little past... it's gonna be toughgoing but necessary to maintain an ongoing self-therapy for my own neurotic problems:D Anyway, here goes...

As of this date, I am 28, on the verge of moving to Burnaby, BC for better or for worse. Graduated three years ago from U of A but got stuck in the grindstone tending family business on campus. Confidence an all time low given the tough job market, I decided to boost what self-confidence I have left with badminton. Miraculous, it worked.

Introduced to the sport by my friends in primary school. Played a little in secondary school but got sidetracked by basketball. Immigrated to Canada with family in '91 and resume casual badminton in highschool. Didn't make the highschool team but managed to practice with team and act as spare. Sporadic playing while I was in university, but I was active nonetheless as I picked up ice hockey and skiing.

Badminton didn't become important to me until I decided to lose weight. Introduced to the U of A badminton club by a good friend, I began to play regularly. As I get better at the sport, I got more involved. I wasn't in a training program, but thanks to guidance from friends and BC/BF, I was able to understand the game better and bring my skills to another level. My baddy skill is currently a little beyond intermediate, can't say that I am advanced player until I could stand toe-to-toe with some of the better players in my clubs:).

Can't really say that I am as fanatic as yonexfanatic:p, my other interests include foreign films (Asian and European imports), jazz and computer games (strategy and RPG).

*wiping drool off my mouth* Now that was a mouthful!!:D

2. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

haha, are you sure? you play more badminton than me, no, just joking:D. into computer games? man, hook me up!!;) :D

3. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

computer games... not much these days.

Wish I could hookup with you for a few games online. Unfortunately, I am still in the stone age... dialup:D

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: computer games... not much these days.

If that's the case, hook me up, too. So, u get another teammate in stone age ---> dialup as well. ;)

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Finally did the Grouse Grind... huffing and puffing all the way to the top in 1hr 13min:eek:. LB: next time you visit VAN... you and me, man:D! I think if I did the climb twice a week, I will be ready for any tournament:p!

Attached Files:

6. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    You, sir, are a better man than me. I'm get up there, but on the gondola! :D

-dave

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Dave,

Is that an invitation?! Just let me recuperate for a month then I will accommodate your request:p! I think you can do it w/o the gondola... bring your wife along, make it a family outing:D! I know you can!!

8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Ok, besides BF meets, we need Grouse Grind Meets (GG) on a regular basis. Anyone interested this Sunday morning? :)

9. wood_22_chuck

Electronics Technologist

I will carry all your stuff, water, powerbar, snacks, change of shirt everything. On the gondola.

No way am I trekking up The Slopes of Hell, or commonly known as Grouse Grind, on foot! :D

Did I mention I'm not the sporty type?

-dave

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Is this the new form of another "torture session"??? :eek:

Man, u sure about the invitation? In case I drop dead on the way, u have to think about how to carry 500lb of "meat ball" by urself. That might make u "get ready for any tourny" just for this 1 trip. :D

11. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    Hey PeteLSD, I go Saturday mornings anyways regularly..... it'll be great to get a group together to go. But Sunday, boy, those of us who go to the Collingwood session after will be completely drained by 3pm...yikes!

Way to go Cappy on the GG!!

Umm...welcome to...umm...*scratch head* *stare at the number of previous posts* ..... to BF?? hahahah :D

12. TTT

TTT Regular Member

Hm..doesn't cappy75 play at both vrc and collingwood?

So his schedule is like:

1. Start playing at VRC saturday night till Sunday morning
    2. Eat breakfast
    3. Do the GG
    4. Eat a late lunch
    5. Time for the collingwood session!

Perfect schedule! Everything just fits into place. haha... :D

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hi Cappy75

Now I'm able to connect the writing to the face!

You look so fair, as fair as Cheung, and I'm tempted to guess that you must have some Hong Kong roots! Come to think of it, not surprising, as there are quite a lot of Hongkongers and Taiwanese in Vancouver the last time I visited in the late eighties.

At 28, you look rather big and strong, certainly about 1 1/2 times my size when I was your age. :D I think I must have been malnourished at that time since I just started varsity and seldom return home for meals! And I was as dark as a Malay and have often been mistakened for one when I take the public bus as a boy.

I think I must have been to the Grouse Mountain (if it is the same one) and your proposed (regular?) run to the top will certainly make you fitter and stronger, at least in the legs! Do you have a suspension bridge in that mountain?

It's Great to be Young!

14. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Hey Loh,

I think that's just me... taking after my father both in facial features and skin colour. I remembered that I could never get a decent tan when I was in Singapore, no matter how long I stayed out in the sun:D. As far as I could discern, I don't have any roots in HK. Most of my relatives are in Malaysia and Singapore. Mom's Cantonese while my dad's Hakka, so unless my great grandparents (from my mother's side) originated from there... I don't see any connection with HK. Born and breed in Singapore, just w/o the citizenship:D.

Er... feel young? I feel really old especially after that trek up the mountain:p! All those extra weight I carry around my hips and legs didn't really helped me at all:(.

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Er... do I really look that insane to you, man:eek:?! I go to both because I really enjoyed the company in both locations:). The calibre of play in those places continues to challenge me and improve my skill all the time. Now let's have a look at your schedule, TTT;)!

16. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Well, it's a mountain afterall:rolleyes: ... rolling a deadweight down the slope is so much easier:D! Heh! Seriously dude! If I can make it up the top w/o having a heart attack, you can do it too. Heck! I bet you have better stamina than me with your insane badminton sessions (pre-game and post-game preparation included;))! We should do it the next time in between baddy sessions!

17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Damn! 604Badder, no wonder you're such a killer machine out front at the net:eek:. I could never maintain that kinda offensive pace intercepting all those shots! Now we all know the secret of the kamakuzi energizer bunny aka 604Badder:D.

Er... dude, you might wanna check out the date on the first post in this thread:rolleyes:.

18. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Nah, no need for extravangance! Just a bottle of water, a backpack to carry it and lots of blind faith. Heck! I didn't even drink until I reached the top. However, it's kinda scary at the top where you're almost face to face with sheer rockcliffs. Every step has to be a sure one, cuz it's a long way down:(.

19. BTC2004

BTC2004 Regular Member

Hey Ming,
    If you can get Dave to go, I will join you guys. Between old age and leg cramps, you may have to carry me, please allow 4 hours for me to get to the top!
    Can you speak Hakka Ming?
    Dave;
    This is a challenge to you, gonna climb GG! Don't forget, I am 49 he!he!

20. wood_22_chuck

Electronics Technologist
    "If you can get Dave to go ...." BWAHAHAHAAAHAHAHA ... no.

"...is a challenge ..." - I concede I lose the challenge. BTC, you're 49 on paper, 22 in physique, 18 at heart.

I'll be your guide. Point straight up and say "There's where you have to go," then I'll hop on the gondola with everyone's gear.

-dave