Yonex Nanospeed 100 vs MusclePowe 99 vs Carbonex 8200 light

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by alprausch, May 20, 2013.

1. alprausch

alprausch Regular Member

Hey guys

As I mentioned in the title, I need help in deciding between 3 rackets. Since I have already got all the 3 rackets, money is not a subject. I have the following rackets:

Nanospeed 100 with original string, hardly ever played with it so still pretty new

MusclePower 99, restrung with BG70 pro, I think with a lil hogher tension then the NS100

Carbonex 8200 light, gonna restring it with BG80 at 21lbs I think

My lvl: I have played badminton for like 2 years untill I had to stop 5 years ago. A few months ago I restarted playing weekly. So I'm no bloody beginner, allthough I'd say I'm still in the beginners section, since I do a lot of mistakes and my footwork isn't very good.

What do you guys think would serve me best? Or doesn't it matter at all?

Thanks for any advices
    alprausch

2. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

go with the mp99 :)

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    why bother asking, why don't you just use each racket and play with them with the duration of 1mo each and then compare?

4. alprausch

alprausch Regular Member

@vajrasattva thank you

@gundamzaku I thaught of that too, and I think I'm gonna do it like that. I just thaught that maybe one of these rackets are a total no-go for a beginner (e.g. cuz the carbonex 8200 is too light) and i was hoping for some reviews bout the carbonex since i couldn't find any. But as you said, the best wil probably be to try all the rackets and then decide.

5. milford30

milford30 Regular Member

Do you find you get much power with MP99? That is a very stiff racket and not good if you are lacking technique and power. Less stiff racket will allow you to bend the racket more, which is for beginners if they are lacking wrist power.

How are you missing? not hitting the sweet spot or...?

if i'm not mistaken the Carbonex is oval shaped head, which tends to mean a smaller sweet spot, and since it is headlight, it is hard for a beginner to generate power.

Personally if i'm starting out I would try the nano 100 with bg 65/80 at around 22lbs, if I feel I have enough power. A slightly higher tension means slightly smaller sweet spot but more control since there is less deformation of the string when you hit the shuttle. Then change to MP99 when you feel you have enough wrist power and string that at 22-23lb.

Do try it out and see if this makes sense.

Hope this is helpful...

6. alprausch

alprausch Regular Member

yes, i think im lacking technique and power. my drop shots come pretty good, but the clears ans smashes arent powerful enough. and i miss the sweet pot too often or even hit it with the frame, but i think that just need some more practice.
    thank you, you helpes me a lot. i think im gonna try the ns100 tomorrow with original stringing, if i still have the same problems after a month, i propably will try a new string.

alprausch

7. alprausch

alprausch Regular Member

I tried the NS100 yesterday and it felt... pretty weird, probably because of bounce-back effect. I'll try it again next week to see if I get used to it, but so far I liked the control the MS99 gave me way better then the NS100...

Do you know how to find out with what tension my NS100 is strung? Or does anybody know how high yonex strings their racket?

8. milford30

milford30 Regular Member

I'm not sure what you mean by the bounce-back effect, can you explain this more clearly? How does it feel when you do a net shot/drive? What about a clear or smash? How does it feel exactly?

Given ns100 is a lower end racket, it's expected it won't feel as solid as the mp99.

String tension is lost over time, and the original string will have very low tension due to this loss, temperature differences and reducing shipping risks. There is no accurate way to measure tension after it is strung. You will definitely have problems controlling the shuttle with a very low tension string.

9. alprausch

alprausch Regular Member

I thought thats the effect of lower tension, that the string goes a little further back as the shuttle hits in and then snaps the shuttle forward, which results in more power but less control.
    Hmm i dont know how to explain that... the whole gameplay just feels softer and weaker, althought i don't think that my shots lost any power. At least i can clear pretty well now. Smashes still don't come powerful enough, but i think that's more the technique then the racket.

Okay, well I asked Yonex Switzerland and they told me that the rackets get strung with 9kg, which is about 20 pounds. Does that make a big difference to 22 lbs, as you recommended me?

thanks again

10. milford30

milford30 Regular Member

Sounds like you feel that the tension is so low that a significant part of the power is dissipated by the string, of course the lower end NS100 will not feel as good as a MP99. If you don't plan on buying another racket anytime soon, i'll recommend 22lb with BG80, which is a thinner string, should give you more feedback and solid feel.

The tension and string makes quiet a bit of difference, for me bg 70 feels numb and soft. I go for BG80 for it's feel and it's not as slippery as others. If you stringing is not too expensive giving BG66 a try is a good idea. If you need it to last BG65 is a great choice, I personally find BG80 is a great middle ground, and at low tensions such as 22lb it should last for a long time.

Best of luck

11. alprausch

alprausch Regular Member

Well i think buying a new racket would be a waste of money, since i already have 3?!

ok, that fits pretty well since i've just bought BG80 string for my carbonex, but i think im gonna string my NS100 with it now. So you'd still recommend me to start with the NS100, not with the MP99 although it feels better?

Thanks alot, i really appreciate your help

12. milford30

milford30 Regular Member

MP99 is extra stiff, if you don't know how to generate power, you will hurt your arm and wrist, while still not generating much power.

13. alprausch

alprausch Regular Member

allright, well that would explain the hurt i sometimes got when i tried to smash... i just kept playing untill it disappeared but i dont think thats vry good for my arm...
    thanks again =)

14. alprausch

alprausch Regular Member

... or would you recommend me buying another racket?

15. gundamzaku

working professional
    since you have three rackets, the way to test them to be a bit more accurate is to use the same string stringing at the same tension. unfortunately your cab is an oval head, which means you'll probably drop the tension by around 2lbs to get the same tension and the same frequency on the stringbed. i don't know how easily assessible a stringer is for you, but i would just start with bg65, the basic....see if you notice the difference on each racket. then after maybe a month of using them all, then cut the string and string a new string like bg80 or bg66 or some NBG strings as well :) tension i would recommend the same tension as recommended by others, at around 22~23lbs.

16. gundamzaku

working professional
    since you have the mp99 and cab8200 which are both even balance and your ns100 is head light, if you really must get another racket, might i suggest you get a light weight head heavy medium flex racket, just so you can have all three balance and you can figure out what type of racket balance best suits your game :)

17. milford30

milford30 Regular Member

Depends if you rather spend the money on a restring or new racket, a racket may take quiet a bit of time to get used to. Improve your technique and you can just use your MP99. Don't try to hit it hard, get the technique right first, it's very tempting for people to try to hit it as hard as they can with the wrong technique, so they don't improve much.

18. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I have no idea what the point of this thread is. :confused:

It's a bit like asking what underpants should I wear today? I have three pairs of underpants, and I've been wearing underpants for 2 years although I had to stop wearing them for 5 years. :eek: So I'm no bloody beginner, but I can't decide which pair to wear.

.... just use whatever you feel comfortable with! It's a very personal thing. One person may tell you that elasticated y-fronts may suit you best but you may "perform" better with a g-string? lol :D

19. alprausch

alprausch Regular Member

Actually, i thought the same as i read the thread the day after posting it, just without that underpant thing^^ but i got some pretty good advice from milford30 and gundamdaku here (thanks again).

i think i'll just go with my NS100 now and try to improve technique untill i'm ready for MP99. i still need to figure out my string tension, but that takes time...

20. gundamzaku

working professional

and what is the point of this response?

sometimes people are into certain particular details that they neglect to see the big picture, that's all.