Been loyal to Yonex Ti 7 too long now lost ...

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by janshim, May 20, 2013.

1. janshim

janshim Regular Member

Professional Photographer
    Hi. First post and a critical one as it involves stepping out of my comfort zone and seriously considering switching racket. I have been using Yonex Ti-7 for a very long time, for doubles and singles. I'm primarily a singles player and feel the racket, old as it may be, offers a good balance. I have a hard time finding similarly interested singles players for a good game or two, I'm somewhat forced into doubles and find the racket a tad too heavy for quick reflex defense (I am a smasher).

Stepping into a racket shop gives me a headache, way too many options. I am looking for a lightweight racket that doesn't compromise repulsion power (tension on the Ti-7 is 21 lbs). Would it make sense to get a stiff racket or a flexible one to maximise smashing? Feel free to recommend some racket names and models including recommended tension to start with.

2. VictorP

VictorP Regular Member

Student
    You could give the mx70/jjs a try

3. ~~Alfonse

~~Alfonse Regular Member

The Apacs Slayer 88 is a great racket that is slightly head heavy, thus making it smash with ease, it has a mid flex shaft, making it easy to do baseline shots, and even thought the racket is headheavy and flexible, it does not affect the control, the control of this racket is decent compared to other flexible and headheavy rackets. I would really recommend this racket, for those reasons, and also for the affordable price. I hope this helps :D

4. jasonteo

jasonteo Regular Member

Li ning n50 is a very good racket for smashing, designed for Fu Hai Feng. it is also a very quick racket and very light. Can consider giving it a try.

5. janshim

janshim Regular Member

Thanks for the recommendation fellas. I would have responded sooner had I been notified of replies received. I'm leaning towards the Slayer 88 but first I have to find a stockist. There isn't one where I live but heard a shop in the Brunei capital may have some. The n50 is a premium racket I'm not willing to invest. It would be too painful to break one especially seeing how my Ti-7 has received its fair share of collisions head on and survived so many times none of the top grade rackets would. The light and powerful for smash would mean the player has to have very strong arms and precision.

6. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    string tension is generally a trial and error thing even if you're used to a particular tension with a particular racket. that said, i think you should already have a good estimate tension you would like to start with. of course the same string might feel differently on different racket, so you still gotta try it out yourself. if your 7 is anything like my 9 and 10, then i woudl suggest a bravesword because it's even balance leaning toward a bit of head heavy :)

7. janshim

janshim Regular Member

I finally found a store that carries the Slayer 88 and I got cold feet about getting it because I still have unanswered questions such as whether those who have used this before whether vibration is pronounced. Also I notice specs on the web suggest the Slayer 88 handles up to 35lbs tension while it's clearly printed on the racket to handle only 30lbs. Are there different versions of this racket in different parts of the world? Max tension isn't an issue as I'll likely string between 35-38lbs.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Why string at 35-38lbs? Your previous tension was 21lbs.

Your username seems very familiar: Are you the very well known manipulator of light? :)

9. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    give ti10 or arc saber 8dx a try!

10. janshim

janshim Regular Member

My bad, I meant to say 25-28lbs not "35-38lbs"! (I haven't had coffee for over a week). The headlight balanced Ti-7 maxes out at 22 lbs. What are the likely implications if I over torque this racket?

Don't know about well known (I didn't get the memo) but there's a chance I might be the photographer you were thinking of. Maybe you came across this shot of me modelling for the EOS 5D Mark III (then newly launched) AF test shot? :D

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

My friend is a long time ti7 user. He's using a Ti7 for singles and switched to nano 7700 for doubles. He says Ti7 is heavier.

Perhaps you can borrow a Nano7700 to try out. Getting a new racquet is harder than buying a camera. :)

Interesting you can get those shots with a 50/1.4. I'd given up on that lens with the focussing speed too slow. This was with my now defunct 30D.

#11 Cheung, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  12. janshim

janshim Regular Member

The 5D3's superior AF pushes the 50mm 1.4 so hard in AI Servo that I was worried it would explode. Amazing results from a budget lens.

Given a choice, I prefer singles to doubles but it's so difficult to find people who has the energy to share my passion so I usually end up playing doubles where I play the offense to increase my cardio workout (been a jump smasher since secondary school). For strings, I switched from Li-Ning's 0.62mm to Yonex BG66 Ultimax which I've found to have better repulsion and the sound to go with the hit @ 22lbs. If I maintain racket and string, I wonder what I can change to increase smashing power - reduce or increase string tension by a notch?

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Correction: apologies - the Ti7 is more robust than nano7700.

Increasing smash power? Yes, experiment changing tension slightly. The other is changing grip size slightly. For me, I prefer a slightly smaller grip diameter in doubles compared to singles.

I'll revisit the 50/1.4 - 24-70/2.8 II is great...;)

#13 Cheung, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  14. janshim

janshim Regular Member

No apologies necessary. As in this case, mistakes can bring good news as I have encountered first hand. My racket has collided with partner's racket numerous times with no damage other than physical scars from the collision. Proof in the pudding.

I wrap the bottom 1/3 of the handle with an additional layer of Ashaway/Victor grip tape to create a bump so when the thenar (the area after the thumb) feels more connected to the racket for better feel. Also, I'm blessed with no sweat palm so that works well with this game. Everywhere else on the body resembles a leaky pipe so I wear a wristband to prevent the palm getting wet from sweat dripping from my arm.

15. janshim

janshim Regular Member

Since our last discussion here, I have not gone ahead with a purchase. Been busy with work and given so many options has made none the wiser so I just put off getting one. Then everything changed the day I submitted my jump shots to Sunrise. Delighted to be getting a weapon I fear using most — Voltric Z-Force. The heavy head and stiff frame is going to be a steep learning curve in terms of the right string tension to start with etc ..

Image2.jpg