Restring after temporary warping

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by nutty, Nov 24, 2003.

1. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    Hi guys,

Recently my Slim-10 warped due to the cold weather. I strung it with the BG-66 at 22 lbs since I was afraid to take it any higher, but apparently, after using it for a 2 weeks, I took it out one day and the frame was warped. I panicked and cut the strings so the frame regained its shape but now I am wondering if it is safe to string again. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you do not get it strung, you will not be able to play badminton with it. SOunds like your racquet wil come to the end of it's life soon. Play with it and enjoy it till it breaks!

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    What do you mean by "wrapped":

1. Left and right side become "uneven"?

2. Head becomes narrower -- way too much tension on the cross?

3. Head becomes wider -- way too much tension on the main?

4. Entired "bent"?

Btw, was it strung using 2 knots or 4 knots method?

4. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    I've just had a similar problem on a new mp100 I bought; after I handed in the racquet for what turned out to be a 15min. hasty restring, the frame was noticably narrower. I compared it to my other mp100 and even measured the difference - it was c.0.4cm narrower and c. 0.8cm larger length-wise. I don't know whether the problem is serious or permanent. If I took it back and asked the stringer to string the mains at a higher tension would that restore the original shape without further damage? Given that up till that point the racquet hadn't even been strung, you can guess at the annoyance it's caused.

#4 ynexfan2003, Nov 24, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2003
  5. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    are u sure it's 0.4 and 0.8mm because i doubt it would be visiblely noticeable or do u mean it's was 0.4 and 0.8 cm?

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Well , i don't think you can still use the racket anymore.. try to string it at 19 to 20lbs. Maybe you can still use it.

7. ynexfan2003

ynexfan2003 Regular Member

Part time (unpaid) wine tester
    That was a reply to Nutty?

8. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    check frame for any stress fractures

what was the shape of the warp? did the racquet head spoon (curve out) or was the warpage just to the head shape as yonexfan2003?

graphite heads will return to their original shape, and unless there is some internal stress fracture of damage, should be able to restring without any problem. However, usually a racquet head, once strung will typically not distort further after it has been removed from the stringing machine - unless there is some damage that has occured. string tension may change, and it is possible for such a drastic warpage to occur that the string may have shifted or changed somehow. if there was no change to the string condition, recheck the frame.

the worse case is restring the racquet, and just keep playing with it. if it is already damaged, it should fail either during re-stringing, or soon after with some hard playing. if not, then consider it some freak situation. but the most you will waste is just a string job.

9. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    Thanks for the reply guys. Well, to answer LazyBuddy, the method used to string my racket was a 4 knot method. And by meaning warped, the head of the racket went slightly concave to one side. At the 3 o'clock position, it warped to the left and then bounced back to the right, which is what made the racket head concave. Sorry if the explanation isnt too good, basically, the racket head if you're looking at the string bed face on, one side will look like how a spoon curves inwards. If that makes any sense :confused:

10. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    spooning - dump the racquet... there is fatal damage to the racquet head. don't waste any money on restringing, it's not going to help. the only question is why it would do that while sitting in your trunk. chances are the racquet may have been slightly damaged prior during play, and the cold accelerated the warpage during storage. it would have been likely that during your next playing, the racquet could have failed as well.

start your next thread - looking for a new racquet - any recommendations... :D

11. nutty

nutty Regular Member

Government Officer
    Yeah I guess it's time to retire my Slim-10 for the other Slim-10 that I barely use due to the grip size being too large :D I've also got a Karakal Ti-75 on the way hehe so I should be covered pretty well. Thanks for your input though, appreciate it :)

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's not a problem to my knowledge. I've had it happen before. Hopefully the frame is not too narrow though!

13. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    read the thread on thinning (shaving down) the grip... don't want to waste a perfectly good racquet just because of grip size.