User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think this one might fall into the catergory of distraction which the receiver can inform the umpire that it is a distraction to you. If the umpire agreed and warn the server. I guess it's a fault if the server disregard umpire's warning.

* the above is my opinion, don't have the rule book with me now*

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Originally posted by eggroll
    Guy at my club brings racquet back sharply so that it makes a loud sound when the racquet hits his body. The sound startles you and he hits the serve when you've been distracted. Is this legal?
    hm... is this a backhand service? i can't help but to wonder where on his body does he hit...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha, ha Kwun. He does indeed serve bh and he contacts himself just left of centre on the top of his thigh. The sound is magnified by the fact he gets the strings and frame to really womp his shorts then starts his forward motion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

back to the point Neil made, your service starts when you place the shuttle, only then is the first forward motion of the racket counted. When playing you prepare and then place the shuttle in front of your racket (i'm assuming doubles here) so only the last move of actually hitting the shuttle counts, you can include a backswing if you use one. That is why players get into posotion, place the shuttle and then hit

For the receiver then even if the receiver moves his/her body it is not a fault but if they move their feet it is a fault, the key is description of movement. You can rasie your heel ready to attack but I take it as the same as the serving laws, one part of each of your feet must remain in contact with the floor surface until the server has hit the shuttle. This is at the most loose end of movement interpritation, personally once you have prepared to receive you should be ready without moving until the shuttle is struck.

With Kwun's scenario, we have all done it, it's fun to see someone fall over after loosing their balance but you must also consider if Kwun has spent too long in posession of the shuttle waiting for his oponent to fall over, in competition you can get a warning for holding up play, but not on a club night.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

i notice an interesting point about this part of the rule:

9.1.3 some part of both feet of the server and receiver shall remain in contact with the surface of the court in a stationary position from the start of the service (Law 9.4) until the service is delivered (Law 9.5);

how do we interpret "stationary position"? does that mean no sliding/skidding the sole on the court surface? ie. break-dancing while serving is not allowed.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Dill

With Kwun's scenario, we have all done it, it's fun to see someone fall over after loosing their balance but you must also consider if Kwun has spent too long in posession of the shuttle waiting for his oponent to fall over, in competition you can get a warning for holding up play, but not on a club night.
    yes. yes. i guess on a recreational game, probably not too bad to stretch the law a little bit.

i was having so much fun with it i tried it again tonight. i recoiled, paused, the receiver tried to rush my service so he moved forward one step. but upon seeing that i haven't swing my racket yet, he just stood there. then i was like, oh, ok, if you changed your mind about your position, i will serve long then.

got two cheap points that way. oh boy, i am so bad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It just means one part of the foot/ or each of the feet must be in contact with the floor at any given time until the shuttle has been struck.

Technically sliding should be OK but do you gain any advantage from it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A grey area this it seems, in general I think you would get a let in club matches, however

If the server started to take his racket back before the receiver was looking/ready the receiver would call for let, it follows that if the receiver moves during the phase when he is "ready" , i.e. from commencement of backswing , then it would be a fault.

Further, if the player only had a very short backswing and the receiver moved as he was paused at the "back" the server may commence the serve and the receiver would already be moving and kill the shuttle, this is clearly a fault.

It is the defining of the start of the serve which is the problem, as with the question regarding bringing the racket and shuttle forwards to commence bh serve, clearly at some point prior to the serve the racket will move forward, even if it is only in approaching the "T", but this needs to be clearly separated from the actual serve. In club matches I don't have a rpoblem with people bringing shuttle and racket together as long as there is a pause betwen that and the serve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Dill
    It just means one part of the foot/ or each of the feet must be in contact with the floor at any given time until the shuttle has been struck.

Technically sliding should be OK but do you gain any advantage from it?
    and stationary.

not sliding.

We talked about this before about a high serve in singles where the heel of the rear foot was raised.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2