User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Some Controversy around the recent BWF Presidential Election, May 2013

-
    I really wonder if any BCer knows something about the controversy during the recent BWF President Election in May 2013? Well, I read none of the issue here yet I may just overlook it.

Anyhow I happen to come across this matter inadvertently when I did some search for other badminton news.

JUSTIAN SUHANDINATA'S OPEN LETTER

Following transcript was originated from http://justiansuhandinata.com/, unfortunately the said content was already removed, here's the extracted copy from other source with date stamp 10 May 2013 08:38:03 GMT

Dear All Members Association of the BWF

This post is in response to Poul Erik Hoyer’s letter dated April 2013, below you will find the transcript of my response as well as translated versions and the original letter of Poul Erik’s as downloadable PDF’s.

Dear Poul,

Let me start by saying that your circular to members is rather disappointing and it is with some sadness that I have decided it is necessary to respond.

While we are campaigning, we must remember that badminton is greater than either of us and that we must always put the interests of the sport first.
    Badminton will continue to be there, well after the elections and hence we must avoid divisive politics.

That said, I find it necessary to respond to claims you make against me issues in your letter:

● Boycotted” David Cabello’s development efforts:
    ● Tried to remove David Cabello as Development Chair:
    ● Promised to set up a training center in Barbados in exchange for votes:

I realize that you have only been in Badminton administration for two years and hence you can perhaps be forgiven for not fully understanding how the BWF Council or any other international sports organization operates.

Your personal attack on Paisan and myself displays your immaturity in leadership, displays your uneducated personality, displays your heart with full of hate, as none of your claims can be supported by fact.
    I strongly suggest that you either substantiate your claims to our members or issue an apology.

You claim that Paisan and I boycotted David’s development efforts. Firstly, while David is the Chair of the Development committee, the plans thereof are the plans of the council. Shuttle time as a project was discussed for a long time before it was finally approved by council.
    The purpose of a council of 25 people is so that diverse views and opinions can be heard. Each member of the council is allowed to express his or her views and as might be expected, we do not always all agree. Once a decision has been made, we operate by the principle of collective responsibility and we are all, as council members, responsible for the projects that were carried out during our time in office.

During my last 4 years in Council, I have attended and participated in the Development committee, and I request that you let us know, on what basis you claim that we boycotted Shuttle-time.

As I am still a council member, I am not allowed to disclose council deliberations, and neither is any other council member. One wonders therefore on what basis you have made these false accusations.

On the removal of David as chair, let me refer to our constitution clause 19.8.
    The Chairs are appointed by council on recommendation of the President.

Hence at the end of every two years the sitting President has a right to recommend to Council new Chairs for each Committee. Council then debates the issue.

Council minutes will bear witness that neither Paisan nor I brought a motion to remove David as Chair. We therefore request that you withdraw these allegations. It is my opinion that legal action would be even more divisive at this stage but I have not ruled it out.

During this campaign period I have toured many countries and met with very many member association representatives. While I have used this opportunity to share my vision on the development of badminton, I have also and most importantly listened to the needs of our members.
    It is in view of this that I have added as part of my development vision the training centers.

I was not part of the Council which poorly implemented and administered previous training centers, but I am a firm believer in training centers. I have first hand experience having run my own club as a training center for the last 30 years. The centre has produced great champions from a number of countries and has raised the standard of hundreds of players from around the world.

The development of the sport must be addressed from different angles. Today it is no secret that Asia is dominating both the Olympics and World Championships, often with all medals going to Asia.
    The medal spread seems to have a direct relationship with the commercial success of our sport especially TV rights.
    We therefore need a project that can bear quick fruits in ensuring that other continents enter the medal ranks.
    Shuttle time, which also requires a huge budget will do it part in introducing more school Children to join the sport, but without an Elite Development Program producing stars, these young stars will soon lose interest and join other sports like Tennis and Soccer.
    As President of the BWF I would continue with Shuttle-time and even devote personal resources to ensure that the program is successful, but I would run it in tandem with the Training Centre initiative.

Finally, the Council has had a lot of success in many areas, but I must point out that a division in Council based on Continental affiliation could have a negative impact on our processes and debates.
    Hence the reason that my campaign for President is centered on forming a team that will serve World badminton as opposed to advancing regional interests.
    Your ill-advised defense of David, without having been privy to Council deliberations shows a tendency towards regional interests. You also assumed that by promoting training centers, one must necessarily be against shuttle time or any other development initiatives.
    As shared in my vision, I will aim to increase the revenues of the BWF to ensure that more resources are available for development projects.

For badminton to become the Number One Sport in the world we need to have the game widely played in each region of the globe and each region needs to be producing champions.

Referring to your accusation regarding Barbados training center exchange with the votes, again displays your real low quality character, without any facts or evidence in your hands you were able and “brave” to conclude something which you are not sure about the truth.

Paisan Rangsitkipho agrees entirely with my remarks. These allegations have absolutely no foundation in truth. They cast doubt on the integrity of myself as well as Mr. Paisan and they also undermine the integrity of the BWF and its Council. You should either produce evidence to substantiate your claims or issue an apology to all concerned for distributing a libelous letter.

Thank you,
    Kind regards,

Justian Suhandinata

By Yuppy Suhandinata | May 7th, 2013

Here's the original pdf copy of above transcript in English, French, Spanish, Russian and Arabic plus Poul Erik Hoyer's letter, all are full intact, untouched at all - 345,133 bytes: http://bit.ly/10YtKvg

May 20, 2013
    Justian: Poul-Erik Did Black Campaign

Justian Suhandinata have failed to become President of the BWF (Badminton World Federation) in the period 2013-2017. But, that gentleman, who was born in Bandung, West Java, 1946, deserves to get thumbs up.

He was the first to congratulate him on the victory of his rival, Poul-Erik Hoyer, in the Annual General Meeting in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, on May 18. However, there are other things that should make Indonesia proud of.

"Long before the election, Poul-Erik was doing black campaign against myself. He spread things that are not true about myself," said Justian through short message to smashyes in the late of May 19.

He further responded by sending the evidence and facts of that black campaign carried out by Poul-Erik. It was sent out in five languages: English, French, Spanish, Russian, and Arabic.

"He (Poul-Erik) remained mum and apologized. But, I still lost," explained Justian.

After being failed to get elected as the President of BWF, he would again take care of his own club, Tangkas Specs, and prepare the next generation of administrators.

"Since I was abandoned by PBSI as well, he he he, sorry just joking," laughing Justian.

The failure of Justian to rise up as the number one figure in the BWF denies him to trail the path of Ferry Sonneville who led IBF (now is BWF) in 1971-1974. (*)
    from online translation of following article: http://smashyes.blogspot.com/2013/05...-campaign.html

And following is an excerpt from a blog so-called "MALAYSIAN SPORTS"

"A coup was conducted to remove a legitimately elected BAC President in March, underhand tactics used to prevent legitimate delegates into the BAC AGM in Taiwan and culminating with the defeat of an Asian candidate in the race for BWF Presidency.

All in the name of Asian solidarity, something that the Malaysian media was guilty of over playing when it was clear that Asian disunity was the margin of defeat when votes were tallied in the BWF Presidential elections."
    Read the full article here:
    http://ssdhaliwal.blogspot.com/2013/...s-on-wall.html

Please feel free to add any information that one may have about the election process. It happened that behind the scenes it's indeed a very tensed contest and involving lots of manoeuvres incl. the controversial actions!

Last edited by kelana; 05-24-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: link fixed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And of all possible places, why did you post the topic in INA Professional Players sub-forum, if I may ask?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kelana View Post
    -
    It happened that behind the scenes it's indeed a very tensed contest and involving lots of manoeuvres incl. the controversial actions!
    Welcome to the politics!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdpanther View Post
    And of all possible places, why did you post the topic in INA Professional Players sub-forum, if I may ask?
    Just confused where to put such news category... and since it involved a reputable figure from Indonesia, i simply put it in that sub-forum. Now it's moved to its appropriate place, thanks admin.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Scandinavian extraordinary expertise in politics

Quote Originally Posted by Jagdpanther View Post
    Welcome to the politics!
    Yesss, REAL-LIFE POLITICS, even in the highest places of SPORTING institution... whereas "unconventional tactics" were not taboo either, and passed on safely perhaps to be viewed as a political acumen

Well, next time when we all discuss about the athlete's ethical conducts, just keep in mind this kind of things!

Nonetheless I do realize that those core Scandinavian countries: Denmark (population of 5.6m), Sweden (9.5m), and Norway (5m), regardless of their relatively tiny sizes, are outstanding in the today's world with their extraordinary expertise in politics matters they are generally quite versed in politics!

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We are verging into territory that is not allowed on this forum. Please keep the discussion within bounds and preferably in context of the persons and the organisation, or the thread will be closed.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

more controversies:

http://www.sports247.my/2013/05/a-presidential-snub/

A presidential snub?

Sports247
    Poul-Erik Hoyer was no where to be seen on Sunday. AFPpic
    THE Sudirman Cup 2013 came to a close yesterday with the usual result – China standing tall by winning their fifth consecutive crown and ninth overall.
    What was unusual was newly elected Badminton World Federation (BWF) president Poul-Erik Hoyer of Denmark, his newly elected deputy Gustavo Salazar Delgado from Peru and BWF secretary general Thomas Lund of Denmark conspicuously missing from the final and prize giving ceremony.
    No one from BWF were able to say why the top three guns didn’t show up, but there was speculation it was a snub to the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) and Badminton Asia Confederation (BAC), who supported Indonesia’s Dr. Justian Suhandinata in the fight to become BWF president. China were also said to be in Justian’s corner.
    Hoyer’s absence made nonsense of his statement immediately after the election in which he preached for unity in BWF.
    Hoyer, who is also Badminton Europe president and 1996 Olympic gold medallist, was also alleged to have said Malaysia is not a safe place.
    Efforts to know the reason behind Hoyer’s absence proved futile, but sources within the governing body have expressed their surprise and disappointment with their newly appointed president’s absence.
    Datuk Seri Mohd Nadzmi Mohd Salleh.
    Meanwhile, Datuk Seri Mohd Nadzmi Mohd Salleh, who is the president of BAM and BAC, was caught by surprise when none of the top three BWF officials showed up yesterday.
    “Well, to be honest I am not sure myself, because he (Poul Erik) told me that he was going to be here,” Nadzmi told sports247.my
    “He had explained he had something on, but he was definitely going to be here for the final.
    “I was, however, informed by one of the BWF vice presidents that Hoyer had some urgent matters to look into. So I really don’t know. Even the deputy, was not around.”
    When pressed if he thinks Hoyer’s absence was meant as pay back for Nadzmi’s and Asia’s support for Justian, the Malaysian said he hoped it was not the case.
    After fighting so hard to win the hottest seat in badminton, it is indeed sad Hoyer, a great champion on the court, saw fit to skip the final of the world mixed team champions.
    We doubt FIFA president Sepp Blatter would ever miss a World Cup final.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just realized that both the President and the Secretary General come from the same country. What a surprise... wonder if in the past this kind of executive lineup --that both the highest posts come from the same country-- does happen.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

BWF: There was no snub

28 May 2013
    http://www.sports247.my/2013/05/bwf-there-was-no-snub/

Excerpts:

...Reacting to that speculation, Secretary General Thomas Lund explained that, due to an unavoidable clash of circumstances, neither new BWF President Poul-Erik Hoyer nor new Deputy President Gustavo Salazar Delgado were able to attend the tournament finale.

...“Knowing they would not be around, BWF made provisions for other top officials such as Geraldine Brown, who is the continental vice president for Oceania and Liu Fengyan, the continental vice president of Asia to represent BWF at the Li-Ning Sudirman Cup final.