JChen99

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by JChen99, Nov 25, 2003.

1. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Unlike many ppl here who have all these creative names, mine is lame yet sufficient (I mean... a name is a name rite? dun realli matter if you're called "Bob" or "Hercules" :D
    ps. no offense to anyone named Bob or Hercules :p

Anyway, here's something about me:

History:
    So I was sitting in school one day during my grade 9 year in Middle School (Yes it's Canada here... we have middleschools -_-") and the announcement came on for the beginning of badminton season, and for some reason I was interested and went to it. However, due to bad management of use of courts, bad skills and my personal stupidity, I got my top front teeth knocked out by an aluminum racket during lik the second preactice session (yes... incidents DO happen) while trying to pick up a bird that went astray into the neighboring court. So then looking like a hockey player who just got decked, I was sent down to my dentist. After that, I didn't pick up the racket again until the summer after my grade 11 year. During the summer after the grade 11 year, I started picking up rackets and played with friends, friends from school teams. From them, I learned most of the beginner skills which I still use sometimes today. During the grade 12 year there was no badminton team due to teacher's strike so I never knew how I would've faired in the HS level. 2 years after graduation I've transfered over to a college where a badminton team is still "alive" and soon will start practicing with the team... which I'm looking towards VERY VERY MUCH!!

BF/BC/BR:
    I first found this site as I was searching through the internet for something... which I couldn't remember, and this site came up. It was back when the forum was not as organized as this, and there was no log-in needed to post (during that time Dinosaurs also roamed the earth... o... wait... n/m... that was some other timeline in history :p)

Level Of Play:
    Well... this is hard to describe. I'm somewhere between beginner and beginner intermediate, so I get creamed by anyone who knows what they're doing. However, when I am concentrated, I can usually beat players that are better (slightly better would be a better choice of word actually) than me.

Style of Play:
    My style of play is more on the hard side of things, I like to pound down anything that I think is "poundable" and dont really manage my power as much as more skilled players out there. However, besides playing singles, I can usually manage to keep pounding for hours and hours, so running out of steam is not a concern for me :D

Hobbies:
    Besides badminton... I used to play a LOT of games. However, unlike most people who play a variety of games, I only play strategy games. During my grade 11 year, I managed to climb up to 7th place on ladder for Starcraft, but due to the fact they reset ladder every season, I stopped playing that game after my goal was reached (being in top 10) I also play other strategy games made by KOEI (which is a japanese company that made the "Romance of the 3 Kingdoms" seies and many other strategy games)

I also have a bucket full of stamps and coins/bills collected from around the world, which probably has no value but they look cool so I just keep em :D

Other sports that I used to or still play are Basketball, soccer, tennis, vollyeball, racing (well... running type... not the driving type :p)

I also write in my spare time, anything from Lyrics to Stories to Poems... I enjoy writing as much as I enjoy badminton... probably more (hope that's not a sin here :p) especially when there's slow romantic music playing in the background... mood is soooo good

Unemployed :D

Marital Status:
    SINGLE... lol... dont ask me why this is here... I guess I'm just bored :p

I belive I've come a long way since startring to play badminton, and to some people's surprise, it was how fast I've improved. It's now 2 and a half years after I picked up the racket during my grade 11 summer, and I can execute (not very well, but the point is I can execute :p) most of the more often used shots out there, so for me it's more refining the things I know more than actually learning more shots (except for the backhand of course)

What IFs:
    You know when people talk about their lives... there are always the "What IFs" that come up. Well, my What IF is... what if I had kept playing badminton during my grade 9 year (so basically starting 2 years earlier) would I be better? worst? by how much? But I guess I'll never know... I believe this poem sums up the "What IFs" pretty well...

ps. Holy cow!! this thing took me an hr to type up @@

#1 JChen99, Nov 25, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2003
  2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Cool stuff, JChen99:). I used to play lots of strategy games too. Lots of KOEI RT3K #1 and #3, got #4 but never touched it. RT3K #1 is my fave among the series and I played it almost constantly when I was younger. Conquered China 6-7 times before I got weary of it:D. Also, I was really crazy about Shogun: Total War two years ago and played for months w/o much sleep just to finish the game with all seven Daimyos:eek:. Got Medieval: Total War but have yet to play it:(.

3. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Updates:
    so I played on the college team... this yr. The season was short... but to my surprise I got to play against Timeless. His style is SOOOOO different comapred to when he plays at VRC... i mean... he actually DID move when he was playin for Langara @@ Anyway... season was over very fast... and I kinda miss the training now :(
    Good thing I walked away from the season wif a "Rookie of the Year" award... (aka newbie of the year... as my sis calls it -_-")

I'm actually a coach at Port Moody Secondary for their badminton team. The senior team advanced to the provincials and ended up 7th. It's not first... but no one's complaining :D

Injuries:
    I dont know if it's the fact that I'm always giving my 110% when I'm training, or just because I'm not doing things right, I've had soooo many injuries it's not funny. basically any joint on all 4 appendages are all injured... o well... I hope a summer's rest will be enuff for the injuries to heal.

Marital Status:
    No longer single!? XD

Retirement:
    Last year on the college team (if I do stay for it) then I'm gonna quit competitive competition badminton for life. Still gonna play at B tourneys when I do hav time but I know the competition level will never be the same.

Anyway... gotta run.

peace! :D

#3 JChen99, Apr 16, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2004
  4. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    Lucky you, get to play on a badminton team and got to coach a badminton team, hahaha. I saw you at clearone on Tuesday but didn't get a chance to see you play. :(

5. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Being on a badminton team is fun (except for the hellish drills) Coaching a badminton team is also fun (unless something screws up) As for watching me play tuesday night? THANK GOD YOU DIDNT! cuz I sucked... haha... almost faintet (it got to the point where I was seeing stars during one of the games)... holy cow it was SOOO hot in there. Dont they got AC in there or anything? geez...

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

U r beginner??? Beginner with all the moves and smashes???

Ok, now I should rank myself total newbie as u creamed me in C1. :p

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    U sure u did not play as one of them??? :D

j/k... congrats!!!

8. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    haha... ur not that bad! At least you knew what you were doing (except u kinda got too greedy) whereas I just this the bird blindly and hope it goes over :p

As for playin as one of the kids... YES I SOOOOO wanted to do that... but too many other coaches knew me... so I couldn't :p

9. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    Hahahaha~! :D Yes, I too was very surprised to see you playing for an opposing team! Soooooooo... I actually moved huh? So you're saying normally I'm so slooooow!! :mad: :( :eek: :rolleyes: ;) :D :p Hahahaha~! True, true, I admit I do move rather slowly at times. I'm going to work on losing some weight over this summer! :cool:

10. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    lol... I'm not sayin ur SLOW... lik u were actually pretty fast when u did move... but u usually dont move I guess. (ie in the clip when you played wif LB... he ended up running around the court like crazy while you jus sat at the front :p)
    haha... ur gonna lose some weight over the summer ei... dang... that's gonna make you an even harder opponent on top of that crazy drive you got >< I guess I'll hafta work something out for playin against u nex yr then ><

11. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    LOL... Tournament is very different than fooling around in fun games! ;) Plus I wanted LB to get his moneys worth... no fun if I hit everything. :)

Yeah I hope to lose some weight... I'm almost 200lbs. Don't know if it'll happen though, my metabolism just isn't as fast as it used to be. And I love food a lil too much :p .

BTW, I might not even play next year, I didn't really enjoy myself this season. Or maybe I'll join your team instead! :D

12. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    LOL... I guess LB DID get his money's worth then XD

As for losing weight, if you stay off the junk food you'll b fine :p

OOOOOOOOOOO.... ur comin here nex yr!? Haha... What'll your Langara buddies feel? :rolleyes: lol j/k j/k... ur always welcome to come over! :D

13. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
  14. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    To loose weight you get to eat more vegetables, black rice, sweet potatoes, yam and bran + flax seed meals. So eat three meals of raisin bran + flax seed + unsweetened soya everyday. Cut down on red meat! At our age, animal protein should be 30% to 40% of your diet. :)

15. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    um... not that I know of... @@
    I think it's a different Jason Chen... I never entered in anything at VRC... at least not that I know of anyway @@

besides! Isn't that a masters tourney? I dont quite think I qualify yet... :rolleyes:

#15 JChen99, Jun 26, 2004
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2004