User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    This is an excellent idea.

I think it is best to install the software on a server somewhere, so that different clubs around the world can access it (using a web browser) concurrently.

Another idea is this. The software should allow members to sign up for the events beforehand, so that people and the club manager knows in advance how many people are coming.
    The court queuing software (when it is eventually written) will be available for free download from the github server at https://github.com/Cinnabon/BCQueue, however, it would be run on your local computer. This may be preferable since versions in different languages could be made available for download. Your idea of running it from a browser would be another way to do it, I guess the advantage is that it would not need to be installed, however it would mean paying for a server.

Your second idea for the software allowing members to sign up for events, before hand, would be for a feature beyong the basic queuing at a club. It may be complicated enough just to get that completed. The basic queuing function is just to manage court usage at clubs for the evening.

Someone could then write code or "modules" to do things besides queuing. What specific thing are you thinking of? For example perhaps software for club tournaments? To help someone write the code for that, it would be useful to write out exactly what it should do, giving a step by step description of how you would like it to work. That way a computer programmer can do coding.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bob506 View Post
    The court queuing software (when it is eventually written) will be available for free download from the github server at https://github.com/Cinnabon/BCQueue, however, it would be run on your local computer. This may be preferable since versions in different languages could be made available for download. Your idea of running it from a browser would be another way to do it, I guess the advantage is that it would not need to be installed, however it would mean paying for a server.

Your second idea for the software allowing members to sign up for events, before hand, would be for a feature beyong the basic queuing at a club. It may be complicated enough just to get that completed. The basic queuing function is just to manage court usage at clubs for the evening.
    Of course, putting it on a server would require costs. But you could place ads on it, just like BadmintonCentral!!!!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got the basics of a manual peg board done now (for desktop/laptop - I'm just not convinced tablets have enough real estate for a gui-driven pegboard to be easy enough to use). It's very 'alpha'.

'Features' it does support:

• any number of courts
    • any number of 'up next' queues
    • general waiting area
    • list of unavailable players
    • save/load to file
    • everything controlled manually by drag/drop

to do:
    • restrict choosing players too far down the waiting list
      • configuration

• move winning pair to waiting list before losing pair
      • add way to select winning pair on court
        • add way to identify pairs on court

• add simple 'random pick' auto selection for next 4-some
    • optionally allow score entry
      • save game history

• ui improvements
      • z value stuff
      • multi-select using 'rubber band'
      • readability
      • setup controls
      • add hide/unhide function for unavailable players
      • reduce collisions/hiding of various lists when they are created
    Last edited by amleto; 06-24-2013 at 05:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by amleto View Post
    I've got the basics of a manual peg board done now (for desktop/laptop - I'm just not convinced tablets have enough real estate for a gui-driven pegboard to be easy enough to use). It's very 'alpha'.

'Features' it does support:

• any number of courts
    • any number of 'up next' queues
    • general waiting area
    • list of unavailable players
    • save/load to file
    • everything controlled manually by drag/drop

to do:
    • restrict choosing players too far down the waiting list
      • configuration

• move winning pair to waiting list before losing pair
      • add way to select winning pair on court
        • add way to identify pairs on court

• add simple 'random pick' auto selection for next 4-some
    • optionally allow score entry
      • save game history

• ui improvements
      • z value stuff
      • multi-select using 'rubber band'
      • readability
      • setup controls
      • add hide/unhide function for unavailable players
      • reduce collisions/hiding of various lists when they are created

Sounds great. Here's some ideas that come to mind;

-If the application just automates, and tries to improve the flow of queuing, that would be a great first version to release. Leaving out as much as possible until a later version, might prevent delays. After feedback comes in from clubs using the first version, other features could be added, hopefully by other people, so the work does not get too heavy for anyone.
    - Will you put your code up on github, see https://github.com/Cinnabon/BCQueue, mentioned in post #13, so other programmers can pitch in, and make suggestions?
    - it would be nice if a csv file of club members could be uploaded. That would allow clubs to import their current members list. At our club each member's peg has, first name, family name, gender and skill level. Skill levels are green (beginner), blue (experienced), red (stronger player). This is important for the person picking 3 players for a game. At our club generally we stick to a similar skill level, when possible.
    - How do you manage the queuing. Something like the following I imaging but there may be lots of ways to do it.

1. The application causes the first name of the "Players_waiting" list to blink and also displays a message like "please choose 3 players for a game" in a message area at the top of the display. (this keeps reminding players not to hold things up)
    2. the monitor displays a rectangle, either blank or with 4 names, for each court and for the up-next queues.
      1. available-courts are green colored
      2. busy-courts are yellow
      3. not-in-use-courts are red colored
        4. up-next queues could be white

3. The chosen court is now in play and so its color changes from green to yellow.
    4. When a game is over, players return to the queuing computer, touch their court and choose game over. This moves the players names to the back of the "players_waiting" list. The court is displayed as available by changing to green
    5. Because there is now an empty court, or an empty "up-next queue" the application repeats step 1. If all courts are busy, and all up-next queues are filled, the application would stop the blinking of the first name.

Perhaps the number of up-next courts could be changed during the evening by a manager. If things get very busy the number could be increased, while If things get very quiet, the number could be just 1.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some good ideas, especially csv import/export.

I'm not going to put much priority on colour schemes or flashing wotsits atm, though.

As tweeter mentioned, automation can get complicated quickly. It's much easier to get other parts working and get 'something' out there.

I have been using python with PyQt. If I can be convinced about the usability of this kind of s/w with tablets then I may learn 'kivy' and change the front end.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello there,
    I'm a software engineer, too and this is an interesting thread
    I didn't read all the posts.
    So far as I read - there is already an open source project?!
    What is the main programming language for this project?
    Nice work so far!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tweeter has an existing closed source product.

I think I am the only one who has done any coding so far. I have been using python. At this time I haven't made any code available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pcll99 View Post
    Of course, putting it on a server would require costs. But you could place ads on it, just like BadmintonCentral!!!!
    You would also need a connection to the internet in the hall where you use the software. Unfortunately, I think many sports halls would have poor mobile phone reception and/or wi-fi. A locally installed solution is probably the best bet (in other words, a desktop application rather than a web application).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the other hand, you could have a online data store which would sync with the installed desktop app so you could do further admin tasks online, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello everyone, I know that I haven't posted in a while. Anyhow, I would like to inform everybody about the current progress of the project.

So far, I've been working with a few friends on the project. I've decided to change my mind and instead of making it open-source right away, I would like to develop the core of the program personally before releasing it as an open-source. My reason for this is that as I began programming, I realized I had many flaws and gaps of knowledge which I would all like to personally address instead of having a more experienced programmer giving me the solution, at least for now.

Anyhow, here's a teaser!
    Name:  teaser.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  39.3 KB
    We are not complete yet, but fear not; Progress is indeed being made.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are an inexperienced programmer then you may find that an experienced programmer will want to redo a lot of your project as soon you release it. It would be better to open it sooner rather than later if you do not have any good programmers to help you through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps you're right amleto. I'll be posting my current progress up in a bit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Software is now finally available here http://www.badboard.net
    All feedback greatly appreciated,

regards,
    Tweeter

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi all,

latest update is that I've just released a new version of the software. If you have a previous version installed I'd urge you to download and install this new upgraded version.

I developed the software on windows xp, and there has been some unforseen issues on windows 7 which are now hopefully fully addressed.

Full details on the website,

regards,
    Tweeter.
    Last edited by Tweeter; 08-02-2013 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Typo

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MrHoang, what's the progress with your project? I'm the main organizer for a club here and would like to give your project a go if it's ready.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by llpjlau View Post
    MrHoang, what's the progress with your project? I'm the main organizer for a club here and would like to give your project a go if it's ready.
    Hello llpjlau,
    I'm aiming for a release date of August 9th, so it should be complete in 5 days.

Also, I was wondering, do you guys want a touch screen keyboard implemented into the program, or will you be using a physical keyboard?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally will be testing it out on a laptop, so I won't need an on-screen keyboard (I think the lack of one will also save screen space for other things that matter).

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast