The art of being deceptive

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by protomedea, Nov 26, 2003.

1. protomedea

protomedea New Member

Have a look at the attached mpg, it's a clip from a match between Liem Swie King and Zhao Jian Hua. Some of you might already have this file - I uploaded it along with some other old matches when badmintovideos.com was still fully free.

Can anyone explain to me in plain english - what is it that makes Jian Hua's return so deceptive? Is it the perfect timing, his body movement, or he's just THAT good at it?

Click here to download the file.

ps. don't worry about the size - it's only about 1 MB.

2. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    If you are interested in the deadly art of deception go to badders.com and read the article by Martin Dew Hattens.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Early preparation - a bit difficult to see but he prepares his racquet early and just holds it waiting to hit with forward motion only.

He's used that stroke early on in the match and played flicks so Liem SK is maving for this shot.

4. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Yes, what is refered to as positive deception. If you take the shuttle high then you give yourself more options, that is why when people are taught properly to play all the preparation for forehand shots is the same so you keep the oposition guessing till the last possible moment, and make your shot based on their positioning or their moving before you hit.

I do have to say the most deceptive guy I play with (BB) has virtually no backswing until he hits the shuttle and at that it is minimal. All his shots are good and consistent but his racket is always in the same place ready to hit so you don't know what to expect.

5. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    its mostly in the wrists

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    no, it's mostly mental.

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Knowing when to use it is just as important.
    Here it looks like ZJ totally read LSK that he even turn his back after his shot to show how much confident he had in this stroke.

8. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    oh crap, my bad
    what i meant was having powerful wrists play a big part if your going for the deceptive clear, to reduce the back swing before you strike the shuttle.

9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Anyone else find it annoying that in that clip it changes to camera shot of LSK just when he is about to serve? I am always trying to watch ZJH foot movements, but by the time it has moved back then the point is over.

By the way where did you get that footage from? Any chance of getting some more of it? Havent seen any footage of ZJH playing aside from this.

10. protomedea

protomedea New Member

@Dill: Thanks for the link - will have a thorough read a bit later.

I personally think it has a lot to do with early preparation, like what Cheung said. The momentum starts when he moves his left foot forward, and because his racket is held so high he has plenty of time to do other move afterwards. ZJH demonstrates this kind of return plenty of times during the match and even when LSK was able to return it back he already misses one or two footsteps because of the deception.

@Jamesd20: The clip was taken from 1982 All England Men's singles first semi final match. I own the original material which was converted from my friend's vhs. Like I said earlier, I uploaded it to badmintonvideos.com along with other older matches a while ago - guess you missed it. I can share it to you but I don't own an ftp - can only do through any p2p networks or irc.

11. Bor98

Bor98 Regular Member

When was this match? Looks like it is the All-England around the early/mid 1980's? I think LSk was fooled by Zhao rush, maybe anticipating a push. Zhao is such a fast player and a cocky one as well. I remember Zhao flexing his shoulder after a smash to Frost in an All England final. Speaking of Frost, I think he is the most complete modern player. The strokes, the whip smash, the net play, the stamina, the patience and the never say die attitude. Too bad he can't quite figure out Yang Yang.

12. Bor98

Bor98 Regular Member

Oops! sorry did not see the post by Protomedea. Was writing the post then went out for dinner @ 6pm without submitting it.:eek:

13. Dill

Dill Regular Member

The 80's was a time of great deception and indeed the great Martin Dew was one of the very best of that era, but more importaintly he was not the only one. There were many players around at the time that never played in major tournaments who could make you look very silly when playing because of their racket skills.

Definatley a lost art!

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    true true true. nowadays we see some pros trying to be deceptive, sometimes it works, sometimes they screw up. but success or not, their skills are definitely not as smooth as the great Zhao. the great Hendrawan is the only master in recent era who managed to fake pretty much everybody out and even he isn't as smooth as Zhao. we bow to ya.

15. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Are you sure that wasn't 1985 ?

James, I have Han Jian v Morten Frost and Liem Swie King v Zhao Jianhua downloaded from badmintoncity.com (as was). I can get them to you on CD sometime.

16. protomedea

protomedea New Member

My bad - it was 1985 :)

17. quagmire

quagmire Regular Member

graphic designer
    heres another great deceptive shot by peter gade. i just got this off kazaa, wish there were more tho. i really have to try this tomorrow.

peter gade's deceptive shot

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you examine many club players, you will see examples where they arrive at the shuttle planting their feet, then pull back the racquet before they play the forward stroke for shuttles at a similar position.

My coach trained me to pull the racquet back earlier in time, hold the position and then play the forward stroke timing so the leading foot lands simultaneously on to the ground when the shuttle is hit. It wasn't easy to change the stroke in the beginning.

1) it seems to aid this shot of deception that Zhao so demonstrates

2) the shuttle is struck a little earlier so the opponent feels like having less time.

19. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

From watching WC2003, when Xia Xuanze comes forward to play a net shot he quite often gets there early, has landed in his lunge, but then seems to "sink" into his lunge a bit more as he plays his shot. I think this extra body movement adds to his deception.

20. protomedea

protomedea New Member

That's been posted before - but I think the concept is a bit different from what ZJH demonstrates in the clip.