Grip collapsing, floppy shots

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by giant_q_tip, May 28, 2013.

1. giant_q_tip

giant_q_tip Regular Member

Hey guys,

So I'm trying to get my basic grip right. I hold my basic primarily with my middle,ring, and pinky finger; with thumb on the flat side of the racket, and index finger opposite of the thumb.

Now, my performance is inconsistent. I feel comfortable holding the racket though. Very very comfortable. I feel like I can do anything with the basic grip. It's just a feeling unfortunately.

I have an idea on what to do while playing, but then my shot hits the frame, or is sliced.

I keep thinking that I am holding it way too loose. But I am not sure if that's even truly the case.

Any advice?

Also I found this drawing from an old thread. When you hold the basic grip, should the racket touch this part of your hand?

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8465&stc=1&d=1113447418

I've tried holding it that way using the same concept as above. Hand is relaxed. 3 fingers primarily grip the racket, with thumb and index opposite of each other.

But, I feel less flexible with my shots. HOWEVER, the grip doesn't collapse and my shots aren't floppy, perhaps because there is support from that part of the palm.

But is that correct? Should the racket touch or not touch that part of the hand?

Thanks guys!

I seriously feel like if I can just figure out this small part of the technique, I can improve my performance by a huge margin!

#1 giant_q_tip, May 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
  2. dontmakeme

dontmakeme Regular Member

student
    It can touch the big fat part of your hand aka the middle of the red circle. However it shouldn't touch the V gap between your index finger and thumb. Reason is because you get gap so that you won't choke your grip. If you choke your grip alot it will hurt alot. Anyways there should generally be a gap near your palm as well. Not exactly sure why but thats how I learned to use it. Probably also for choke grip as well.

Anyways your slicing problem, you just have to adjust your racket face(pronation), so that you can hit the shuttle directly(squarely.....).
    If you want a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVC5PVJyPQ this probably shows you why.

Hope that helps.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

perhaps you're overthinking the loose grip technique?

for any power shots (smash, clear, drive), your grip must be firmed up just as you're about to strike the shuttle in order for proper and efficient transfer of momentum or kinetic energy, and also so that your change from loose to firm grip can make use of your so called finger power

4. giant_q_tip

giant_q_tip Regular Member

Hey thanks! Thats actually one ofthe videos that confuses me.

When hes showing the grip, the racket doesnt touch the middle part of the circle in the diagram.

When i hold my racket, i always have it not touch that red circle. Is that the reason why my grip collapses?

Heres another video where the player holds the racket without touching that area

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=HCGndnk8gXQ

#4 giant_q_tip, May 28, 2013
    Last edited: May 28, 2013
  5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    a picture is worth a thousand words.

6. alprausch

alprausch Regular Member

7. alprausch

alprausch Regular Member

8. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I reckon that the grip shown in that video is not quite right. I think it's too much of a "finger tip" grip -- he's created too much space in the palm. Actually, it looks like the racket handle is slightly too small for him.

Of course, it could be exaggerated for the purposes of demonstration (not always a good idea, but I sympathise! ;)). Also there is some room for personal variation in these things, and maybe that very loose grip works for him.

Also the grip looks better during some parts of the demo than others. It's not easy to demonstrate these things! And let's not forget that grips change a lot during a stroke.

That actually looks better to me.