User Tag List

Page 58 of 78 FirstFirst ... 8 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm. Didn't quite know how to phrase it before but Mark has got it right. I played around for 20 minutes with a 3U Z Speed few weeks ago. Unfortunately strung with bg 65 @27lbs. Higher tension and different string than I'm used to.

In short, swings head heavy, noticeably smaller sweet spot. Not too much issue with mistiming. Not sure its noticeably quicker around mid or front court compared to my 3u voltric 80.
    Smash wise, reasonably powerful but doesn't give the same direct hammer feeling / "bang" I got with my voltric 80. Didn't think the smash itself was any quicker.

Most importantly, as Mark said, it just felt dull and muted. Another friend tried it and simply said it didn't feel like anything special.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice review Mark, but I think we should just treat any Yonex racquet with a "Z" in its name as completely different from the rest, almost like a different line - regardless of whether it is called a Voltric, ArcSaber or NanoRay. Just as any VXR's are completely different to other Vauxhalls! lol

I can see your frustration as I sense you feel cheated having waited so long for a NS9900 replacement. But I strongly believe there will be a NS9900 eventually, but this is not it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R20190 View Post
    I can see your frustration as I sense you feel cheated having waited so long for a NS9900 replacement. But I strongly believe there will be a NS9900 eventually, but this is not it.
    I agree! Held off buying a replacement backup 9900 for a while. Maybe it's time for me to stock up on a few more until it's true replacement comes out!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R20190 View Post
    There have been post-Z Arcsabers, so there's no reason to think this will be the last Nanoray.

I can't think Yonex won't get wind of the (mostly) negative feedback on this thing... maybe they'll remember what NR's are supposed to be about and make an NR900...

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yep, Mark. You put it very well.

That's how I felt when I tried it out 3 wks ago. A heavy swinging smash machine that has absolutely garbage feel. Forget about trying to do any accurate touch shots with it.

And the FS listings on the Buy/Sell forum is a good indication of how disappointing it is... yours included.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It just being created for smashing "speed world record" but not all rounder racquet...too bad.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HardSmasher View Post
    It just being created for smashing "speed world record" but not all rounder racquet...too bad.
    You do realize that the way Yonex measured it was not the way it's measured in a real game right?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HardSmasher View Post

lol, agreed

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I pretty much agree with what you've posted there Mark. Nice review. However, I find all of the Z series rackets quirky. In a way, they're not even the top-of-the-line of their prospective lines - they're kind of weird niche-beasts. I think of all the Z rackets though, this is the most accessible for a greater number of players though, despite its quirks.

However, if you want a 300mm fast, light, zingy racket....just get an Mx70. If you want a quirky smash beast, get this.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wondering with racket head frame design (coz I'm busy designing my own for future use), that once you change the profile dramatically to induce some kind of flex, or movement...or if you change the shape of the head dramatically....you're adding so many new variables that you actually can't control them.

Or worse, as with the NRZS, you get this (as Mark nicely puts it) 'jekyll and hyde personality' where the racket works in one way, and one way only, and if you deviate from that it feels like a different racket, or dosen't work as it should.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ In a way, the bend zone thing is nothing new. There have been discussions in the past that a bit of frame flexibility is needed to amplify the rebound effect on the shuttle, just like a bit of flex in the shaft also helps in the same manner. Anyone who has played with a racket with super stiff frame and shaft will know what I mean.

Thus those rackets that use frame strengtheners like Ti or Kevlar at the 2,4,8,10 o'clock positions create such bend zones at the 12,3,9 o'clock positions by making those areas flexier relative to the strengthened areas.
    Last edited by visor; 10-18-2013 at 01:29 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    ^ In a way, the bend zone thing is nothing new.
    In more ways than one - have a look at Head's "Flexpoint" rackets... Yonex aren't first here by any means.

Or worse, as with the NRZS, you get this (as Mark nicely puts it) 'jekyll and hyde personality' where the racket works in one way, and one way only, and if you deviate from that it feels like a different racket, or dosen't work as it should.
    I think I was too kind comparing the NR-ZS's sweet spot as "frying pan vs wok"; it should have been saucepan vs wok. Never have I used such an unforgiving racket in this regard.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maklike Tier View Post
    I think of all the Z rackets though, this is the most accessible for a greater number of players though, despite its quirks.
    I find myself forced to agree here - the AZS has timing issues, and the ZF has a tiny head and a sweet spot the size of a golf ball.

The NRZS wins... but only by being the least inaccessible.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not convinced they do. What I think it does is spread the load over that particular area, which dissipates the 'hot-spots' (stress-risers) within the structure, most of which are caused by the drilling of holes. It doesn't add any perceptible stiffness, it makes the stiffness more uniform.

Of course this is all BS because it hasn't been scientifically tested

Heck, I'm not convinced making 'flex points' within a racket structure anywhere is a good idea - especially if you change the physics of the string-bed. Shouldn't we be trying to make the stringbed stable, then introducing an appropriate amount of flex evenly throughout the structure to facilitate tactility?

I do however LOVE the shape of the NRZS' head. Making it smaller in the way that they have is a great idea, because that's exactly where the aerodynamic gains are IMHO.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark A View Post
    I find myself forced to agree here - the AZS has timing issues, and the ZF has a tiny head and a sweet spot the size of a golf ball.

The NRZS wins... but only by being the least inaccessible.
    Well if I can just pick it up and use it, anyone can

This is the genius from a marketing point-of-view, though. There will be people who tried the Z-Slash, framed every third shot and sold it. They then bought the Z-Force, found it was like hitting the shuttle with a plank of wood, and sold it. And just when they thought Yonex was rubbish, the bring out the Z-Speed.

Smashing within that soft but zesty sweetspot is going to be like a drug for a lot of people.
    Last edited by Maklike Tier; 10-18-2013 at 02:58 AM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maklike Tier View Post
    Heck, I'm not convinced making 'flex points' within a racket structure anywhere is a good idea - especially if you change the physics of the string-bed. Shouldn't we be trying to make the stringbed stable, then introducing an appropriate amount of flex evenly throughout the structure to facilitate tactility?
    I would tend to agree - why use a one-inch patch of 20% softer material when you can just make the entire frame out of 5% softer material? Homogeneity is the key to consistency - just look at the string pattern on the ZSP: hit the middle stripe, and you're fine... miss it, and the next shot is going through you.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too bad you guys havent tried out the 4U version , it feels reaaaaaaaly different

Page 58 of 78 FirstFirst ... 8 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast