Carlton RaZoR v1.3

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by RaZoR, May 29, 2013.

1. RaZoR

RaZoR New Member

I'm wondering if this 'prototype' is any good.. I can get it for les then 100$, So I tought maybe it's a good deal because of the recommendation price of 200+$
    Does anyone has experience with this racket?
    Or do you have an better alternative?
    I'm mostly playing double with my friend. I'm almost all the time playing infront, close to the net. I like to play some close action but I also like to play on power sometimes.

RaZoR v1.3:
    http://www.sportsdirect.com/carlton-razor-v1-3-badminton-racket-723110

2. RaZoR

RaZoR New Member

My racket at the moment is a Victor Beryllium 3000...

3. i800Yoty

i800Yoty Regular Member

Hm I have a Razor v1.3, although I don't think it’s a prototype? I have used it, although I haven't used it extensively. It didn't suit my racket preference (slightly stiff and moderately head heavy, currently using a Nanospeed 800) So I may be able to help here.
    I’ll do a little review for you based on my personal experiences, but ask any questions and I’ll try and answer them; I won’t be playing badminton until next moth L so don’t expect any in depth answers immediately.

Okay first off, my style of play is similar to yours: front court, speed, interceptions and drives are my buddies, but I still like to jump smash from the back every now and again.

This racket is headlight as well as light in general so you can expect good manoeuvrability, which it has, definitely one of my faster rackets. So intercepting is good, although if you have a fast swing you might feel it lag behind on net kills due to the mid flex rated shaft. It does cut the air pretty nicely so it’s even more effective when you get the timing right to get the shuttle downwards. In terms of the softer touches at the net it’s fine, but not spectacular; it’s headlight nature means you have to be a little bit more aware and controlled to play tight net shots. Drives are good with its manoeuvrability but the shaft makes it a little inaccurate for me.

Power in overhead is good again, clears are easy and drops are nice. Smashing is surprisingly fairly powerful for its specs. Timing issues may incur where you might hit them flat, but after a while of playing the power is good. I feel a whipping actions gets pretty good power. Hm not much else to say here.

Defence is the racket’s strong point; the flex of the racket gives you a little extra racket head speed to flick the shuttle to the back court. Its manoeuvrability is evident as there were very few smashes that I couldn’t connect with; it’s easy to use in defence and you can comfortably sit back and let your opponents fire smashes at you.

So in conclusion, it’s a decent all rounded racket which strong point is defence as well as handling but performs averagely in power. As a player with front court preference, you might enjoy this racket’s manoeuvrability.

Ooh and another thing, the ‘grommets’ are rather funky too. The strings sit on the actual frame and kind of wrap around the side of the frame, this does make the strings feel and probably play tighter too. Actually, to be fair, I spent a fair amount of time pestering my doubles partners to look at the funky ‘grommets’ ahaha. Anyway that’s all for now, hope I’ve been of help!

4. RaZoR

RaZoR New Member

I'm thinking about the RaZoR 1.3 or this one: http://www.directsportseshop.co.uk/...cket&NavID=515&FromSearchPage=No#.Uacu-T56hs1

5. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

I have a Razor v1.1 and razor v1.2 for sale if they are any good. I tried to to message you but your box is full.