Moving on from ARC10

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Knicknack, May 30, 2013.

1. Knicknack

Knicknack Regular Member

I am currently playing with an ARC10 from Yonex. The racket gives me everything I want, just not a bunch and no thing much in particular. Moving on to the next level, I find myself playing against semi-pro payer, which are way better than the average club player that I've been used to. Long story short: I need a new racket that is faster and/or providing me a harder smash. I am considering the following: ARCZ, VT70-80, BS11 and Thruster TK8000, Kason F9 and C7. I'm not a fan of super stiff racket as my previous MX80 gave me a hard time. Any suggestion/comparison/recommendation?

#1 Knicknack, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: May 30, 2013
  2. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    brave sword seem ok here

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I think the 'long story short' is that you need to get better, not the racket ;) Spend the money on coaching and it will serve you better than a new racket.

Otherwise just get Arc11. But don't be surprised that you still have problems playing against semi-pros!

4. Knicknack

Knicknack Regular Member

Well I can keep up with them no problem but my smash is not hard enough to win points and kinda slow to intercept them mid court. I tried my friend ARCZ in a few games and see the significant improve with my smash/intercept but it's too inconsistent and too fragile. Sure I will get used to and grow better with just time, coaching is just spending more time playing anyway. The ARC11 is so similar to ARC10 that I could not just find the reason to spend $200 for very little improvements.

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

No, it really isn't -- or at least, it shouldn't be.

6. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i agree! if coaching for you is just more playing time, then fire your coach and find a new one.

7. gundamzaku

working professional
    i don't think whatever racket you will end up buying will only give you "very little improvement" because it seems like you're able to keep up with the opponent, and just enhance some of your shots, like a stronger smash. i can see why someone would recommend the arc11 because it's not so different that which will require you a lot of time to readjust to the racket.

it would be different if the feel of the arc10 is just not right for you, but if it's working out fine, it would be best to spend money on proper coaching, the knowledge coaches have will be worth way more than $200 :)

but if you really want something new, how about just dropping the tension of your string maybe 1-2lbs?

8. decoy

decoy Regular Member

or maybe try a new string all together. Either way if coaching to you is just more playtime than I think that is the more serious problem and would probably be the bigger deciding factor than using a different piece of graphite in your hand.

9. Knicknack

Knicknack Regular Member

Coaching is fine, but at this level a consistent double partner is really the key here. Since I do not have a lock-on partner, it is very hard to play against seasoned veteran. I have a coaching session every Sunday so that's why I said another will just be more playing time when my goal is not to go pro. But sometimes looking at how far I've come from nothing to be playing with semi-pro, I just don't wanna give up so easily. It's not that I cannot keep up with them, but moving from being the very best of the group to just an average Joe of this group is kinda fallen off the sky for me :p that's why I wonder how much would a new racket help me out here. I'm really open to changes as my 3 ARC10 have been my to-go for 2 years now, time for some updates with the real world I think? Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'll see what I can do. And for some reason my Enter key cannot give me a new line :eek:

10. decoy

decoy Regular Member

From what you said I think arcsaber is the best option for you from yonex. You said you want more power or more speed and you have to give up on one to get the other. Maybe a z slash like was mentioned before.

11. Knicknack

Knicknack Regular Member

Yes I want thinking the ARC-Z or the Bravesword 11. Another option is Kason F9 but from the review I heard its shot placement is not very good? How's your take on the ARC-FB?

12. varsis

varsis Regular Member

Software Engineer
    You'll sacrifice a lot of power for manoeuvrability with the FB. Ever tried out the Gosen Shiden? I find it almost as quick as the FB at the net while still packing a punch at the rear of the court. The weight distribution / balance is very similar too.

13. Knicknack

Knicknack Regular Member

Sounds interesting but Gosen is not really popular here. It is quite hard to find one actually. I got a hold of the ACR-FB once and it is really light and head light. Gotta be a madness at the mid court repelling all those shots LOL

14. shosasakigamba

shosasakigamba Regular Member

Buyer
    Knickknack, you seem determined to get a new racket. What is the ''semi pro'' who is kicking your but using for a racket? Please say its a cab 8 or something similar.

15. gundamzaku

working professional
    in this case then i think it's better to go to the z slash because i always believe the less change the better in terms of equipment down to the socks you wear :)

using the FB will throw you off because it's so light. but i'm assuming you're pretty good if you can keep up with semi pro, so your readjusting time won't be that long....but you might need to try a bit harder to get the power you need, again, because it's so light.

16. Knicknack

Knicknack Regular Member

Most of the pros are sponsored by Victor, Yonex and Flexpro and the semi pros are sponsored by a cloned brand FORZA that sells clone Yonex such as the AT900P and ARC Saber Z Thunder. Some others are sponsored by Protech and Aadonex. You don't have to be so hard on me like that dude :(

17. Knicknack

Knicknack Regular Member

As I said, I was the cream of the crop in my previous group but just an average Joe here in this so called pro stuff. By no means I am at the top but for the average competitive semi pro I can keep up with them. The ARC-FB is a very interesting racket that carries a unique game style with it, sadly I am working toward a more rounded game. The ARC-Z is probably my next racket though. Interesting enough I had a go with one of my friend's TK8000. Holy mother of God that thing punches HARD! Sadly it's too heavy and stiff for me but the way it generates power is very interesting ;)

18. amleto

amleto Regular Member

forza isn't a yonex clone company. apacs used to do a lot of yonex clones, not sure if they still do.

19. Knicknack

Knicknack Regular Member

No FORZA Denmark is a legit brand. In my country there's a company uses the name FORZA and they sells Yonex clones. Kinda funny though with AT900P and AMORT SPEED 990 is the clone of AT900T LOL

20. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Have you looked at Arcsaber 11?
    Since it's the replacement of the Arcsaber 10