User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ashaway bird2

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jchowdhury View Post
    Thanks! Is there any plans to change the Black base of the skirting and change it into white?
    I think the black-and-white is a good idea, myself - you'll get good contrast no matter what colour the ceiling and walls are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there,

First time poster here but have been a regular visitor.
    I came across this thread after seeing the Bird2's advertisement on Central Sports.

Ordered one dozen on Thursday 3rd Oct, arrived Saturday morning 5th Oct, so very good delivery time from Central Sports there.

Initial impressions from myself and my fellow players - excellent! Best plastic we've played with and emulates the flight path of a feather much more accurately.

HOWEVER, and this one big however... After no more than 30-45 mins of matches and two shuttles broke in the exact same way, as illustrated below in the photos.

A third shuttlecock, also shown, is on its way to breakage at the same point.
    As you can see, the weak point is clearly where the two colours (and therefore two pieces) join.
    Circumstances of breakage? The first shuttlecock died when I played a hard drive from the rear of the court, but the second was just a simple return during a knock-up rally.

Shuttlecock 1

Shuttlecock 2

Shuttlecock 3

All three

I was extremely surprised and disappointed because these are by no means cheap, even when compared to AS-30s or higher. These are supposed to be more economical than feathers...and I paid a whopping 22 (inc. 3 delivery) for one dozen.

PS. There was no obvious loosening of the cork as previously mentioned in this thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we haven't seen this before, it is obviously a problem with the conditioning of a batch of Stem mouldings, not the joining process or the design concept as thousands have lasted well without damage at this point. contact central to arrange returns, we will look into it straight away.

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by blumorrell View Post
    Hi there,

First time poster here but have been a regular visitor.
    I came across this thread after seeing the Bird2's advertisement on Central Sports.

Ordered one dozen on Thursday 3rd Oct, arrived Saturday morning 5th Oct, so very good delivery time from Central Sports there.

Initial impressions from myself and my fellow players - excellent! Best plastic we've played with and emulates the flight path of a feather much more accurately.

HOWEVER, and this one big however... After no more than 30-45 mins of matches and two shuttles broke in the exact same way, as illustrated below in the photos.

A third shuttlecock, also shown, is on its way to breakage at the same point.
    As you can see, the weak point is clearly where the two colours (and therefore two pieces) join.
    Circumstances of breakage? The first shuttlecock died when I played a hard drive from the rear of the court, but the second was just a simple return during a knock-up rally.

Shuttlecock 1

Shuttlecock 2

Shuttlecock 3

All three

I was extremely surprised and disappointed because these are by no means cheap, even when compared to AS-30s or higher. These are supposed to be more economical than feathers...and I paid a whopping 22 (inc. 3 delivery) for one dozen.

PS. There was no obvious loosening of the cork as previously mentioned in this thread.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ashaway need to fix this problem right away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey,

Got basically the same problem as blumorell.
    Another shuttle's plastic base (black part, inside the skirt, where other manufacturers glue their company sticker) literally broke.
    Will post some pictures asap.

I'll contact you guys via email.

------

Other than that, players from my club (including me) found the shuttle very satisfying to play with.
    As it's mostly Asians I play with, they still prefer the touch and feel of real feathers, but all admitted that the bird2 had something very pleasant to it -ranging from the flying behaviour to the looks (visibility) and sound.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone used these in the US? If so, where are they available? I'm looking to test some against the 2000 shuttles that we use. I'm also really more interested in yellow variety than white, but I'd like to test them even if all that's available at the moment is black/white.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool stuff. is there a reason why synthetic shuttles still use a skirt and not single synthetic "feathers"?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dominikk1985 View Post
    cool stuff. is there a reason why synthetic shuttles still use a skirt and not single synthetic "feathers"?
    Perhaps cost and durability? Either too costly or the durability creeps closer to feathers, offsetting any advantage of "feathers" flight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...ic-shuttlecock

I'm assuming that since this hasn't gone global is because it's either
    a) Didn't work out because of cost or durability
    b) Mizuno don't distribute their badminton stuff worldwide

Quote Originally Posted by dominikk1985 View Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Stem section breakages

Thank you for the feedback. We have identified a small batch where the stem mouldings were embrittled during processing. They could fracture anywhere, not just near the interface ring. We will replace any broken in this manner. New stocks, to be delivered shortly, should not have any problems. Please bear with us, it is early days in the life of a new concept and it is a big task to scale up production for the increased demand.

Quote Originally Posted by -s!Gm4- View Post
    Hey,

Got basically the same problem as blumorell.
    Another shuttle's plastic base (black part, inside the skirt, where other manufacturers glue their company sticker) literally broke.
    Will post some pictures asap.

I'll contact you guys via email.

------

Other than that, players from my club (including me) found the shuttle very satisfying to play with.
    As it's mostly Asians I play with, they still prefer the touch and feel of real feathers, but all admitted that the bird2 had something very pleasant to it -ranging from the flying behaviour to the looks (visibility) and sound.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mater View Post
    Perhaps cost and durability? Either too costly or the durability creeps closer to feathers, offsetting any advantage of "feathers" flight.
    You don't have to look at a feather too closely to see what an amazing structure it is; the chances of emulating it at a reasonable cost are nil. If you could you would still have the lack of integrity that a structure made from 16 pieces tied together with lacquered string has. Most of the design work over the years has been aimed at replicating a suspect structure; feathers are great for flapping and preening but not designed to be hit at 250kph with the frame of a carbon fibre racket. Our focus has been on working out the most weight efficient means of preventing collapse while maintaining durability, and concentric rings, as in our patent, are considerably more effective than longitudinal stem structures. We are working on a number of enhancements which will improve the playabilty still further.

Gordon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't wait to try them out, Gordon! Anyone in BC (British Columbia) got the Bird2 from the local stores and tried the new batch?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any ideas where I can get hold of these? In UK, and Central Sports have them listed as unavailable.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Havent seen it here. Is it already available in Asia?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishta View Post
    Any ideas where I can get hold of these? In UK, and Central Sports have them listed as unavailable.
    Supplies are restricted at the moment until we have tooled up for larger volumes which will take some time, so we just sell in UK through Central Sports for the time being. They are out of stock temporarily while we ensure there are no more brittle stems out there. Should be available in a week or so.

Gordon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Willis View Post
    Supplies are restricted at the moment until we have tooled up for larger volumes which will take some time, so we just sell in UK through Central Sports for the time being. They are out of stock temporarily while we ensure there are no more brittle stems out there. Should be available in a week or so.

Gordon.
    Update:
    We found some contamination in our remaining batch of material. Unfortunately the suppliers are out of stock until the end of November which will mean several weeks before we can start up production again. We hope to avoid these problems of batch production next year when we should have everything in place for continuous production. We are presently raising capital with a sale of shares in the company. Should anyone be interested in investing, contact Nick Goode at Ashaway.

Gordon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hi,

We "HAD" been using them in a small club I run in Hertfordshire for the last 4-5 months since they were introduced. A member gets them direct from Ashaway although just ordered some Mavis 2000 from central

We loved them (both boys and girls) as they provided a little more weight and flight more like feathers.

I say "had" as we have stopped using them due to the high breakage level.

We did get a few breakages as already mentioned but we had more where the white and black parts separated. I got fed up using super glue to stick them together. We had a few where the cork became loose and fired off!

We rarely had to throw them away due to normal plastic wear before a breakage.

So we LOVED them but failures occured to often (6 in one 2 hour session with mixed company) BUT BUT BUT it all seemed production related. So, reading this restores our faith and when production issues have been sorted , we will return.

Andy

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast