User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Ashaway bird2

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to try these out as well, been following the thread, and just waiting until production gets back up and these are more available for me to pick in the US.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gordon, how are things progressing with these shuttles? Would be great to have an update.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishta View Post
    Gordon, how are things progressing with these shuttles? Would be great to have an update.
    Hello, thank you for the interest. Because of the success of the pilot launch we are tooling up for volume production. This involves raising money with a share issue and loans so this will take some time. We have raised enough to get started on the new assembly line and this will take up our time for the next few months. Making batches, as we have been, is difficult, time consuming and costly so we will only start up again once we have people available and all the new tooling is well under way. I will give regular updates.

Gordon.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where is the factory that made Bird2?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinichi View Post
    where is the factory that made Bird2?
    Here in the UK.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gordon,

Is this going to be launched in North America in the near future? I would love to try out a tube if it's priced right.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Line & Length View Post
    Also, thanks for being open. There have been others who have set up a dummy account and posted false-positive reviews. It's refreshing to see a developer trying to work with their market.

I wish you well. With rising cost and falling quality of feathers, the business case for decent plastics grows by the day.

I have a question though. Like all plastics, the 'hem' appears to be as thin as the rest of the skirt. Would making it a little thicker improve tear-resistance?
    This is slightly off-topic, but I think that as badminton's popularity continue to grow, the market will become big enough for more innovation such as what Gordon is doing with the Bird2. Maybe there will be a further increase in feather production (possibly higher quality too?).

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Willis View Post
    There are a number of technical manufacturing reasons for the dark grey (some of the early batches were too dark but not black); mainly due to durability additives. Most ceilings are white and research showed that the the flight section gave a large enough area to pick up light from hall lighting and the dark stem section formed a contrast with the ceiling and lights and gave better visibility. The feedback we are now getting suggests that, after an initial reaction to the different appearance, players find it is an improvement on all white shuttles, so we will not make an all white product.

Gordon
    So are you still going to make a yellow version?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blumorrell View Post
    Hi there,

First time poster here but have been a regular visitor.
    I came across this thread after seeing the Bird2's advertisement on Central Sports.

Ordered one dozen on Thursday 3rd Oct, arrived Saturday morning 5th Oct, so very good delivery time from Central Sports there.

Initial impressions from myself and my fellow players - excellent! Best plastic we've played with and emulates the flight path of a feather much more accurately.

HOWEVER, and this one big however... After no more than 30-45 mins of matches and two shuttles broke in the exact same way, as illustrated below in the photos.

A third shuttlecock, also shown, is on its way to breakage at the same point.
    As you can see, the weak point is clearly where the two colours (and therefore two pieces) join.
    Circumstances of breakage? The first shuttlecock died when I played a hard drive from the rear of the court, but the second was just a simple return during a knock-up rally.

Shuttlecock 1

Shuttlecock 2

Shuttlecock 3

All three

I was extremely surprised and disappointed because these are by no means cheap, even when compared to AS-30s or higher. These are supposed to be more economical than feathers...and I paid a whopping £22 (inc. £3 delivery) for one dozen.

PS. There was no obvious loosening of the cork as previously mentioned in this thread.
    £25 for 1 dozen? That's US$41.55 base on today's exchange rate!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't have to look at a feather too closely to see what an amazing structure it is; the chances of emulating it at a reasonable cost are nil. If you could you would still have the lack of integrity that a structure made from 16 pieces tied together with lacquered string has. Most of the design work over the years has been aimed at replicating a suspect structure; feathers are great for flapping and preening but not designed to be hit at 250kph with the frame of a carbon fibre racket. Our focus has been on working out the most weight efficient means of preventing collapse while maintaining durability, and concentric rings, as in our patent, are considerably more effective than longitudinal stem structures. We are working on a number of enhancements which will improve the playabilty still further.

Gordon.
    Once you've perfect your product and expand production, I think you're going to catch the big players' attention.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sgt_Strider, Bird2 has never available in the US as far as I know. Neither were any yellow "tails".

I think the market may not see any new Bird2s until mid year and who knows when the US may see any distribution, not counting small imports.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe only available in UK or EU

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Contacted ashaway and they tell me the earliest I can get my hands on the bird 2 is in September now.. anyone come across any retailers that have these in stock??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New production line

Quote Originally Posted by syahn9988 View Post
    Contacted ashaway and they tell me the earliest I can get my hands on the bird 2 is in September now.. anyone come across any retailers that have these in stock??
    We are sampling the new tools in August and hope to set up the new production line in September. We will be supplying UK only to start with but we will follow on with a fully automated line to cope with worldwide distribution; we have launched an equity sale at https://www.syndicateroom.com/Bird to fund this work.
    Gordon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Shuttlecock performance markings

We are sampling the new tools in August and hope to set up the new production line in September. We will be supplying UK only to start with but we will follow on with a fully automated line to cope with worldwide distribution; we have launched an equity sale at https://www.syndicateroom.com/Bird to fund this work.
    Gordon
    We need much more information on a tube of shuttles. I think the minimum categories should be: Speed; Flight curve (peak & drop);Tumble stability; and Durability.
    Speed, flight curve, and tumble stability are all a direct correlated function of the weight and dimensions, surface area continuity, weight distribution from base to tip, and rigidity. All these attributes can be measured fairly simply in a standard test laboratory in any country. Durability is more difficult as it needs custom made test equipment, although not very complicated. BWF approves the use of shuttlecocks for international tournaments, it costs USD 3000 per shuttle type. My aim is to show that these tests can be simpler and more reliable than tests that involve ‘international male players’ and high speed cameras which are expensive and still subjective.
    I will be continuing with this work and would be interested in any comments. For now my priority is to complete the funding round for our high volume manufacturing processes and get everything working well for the new badminton season.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There's likely no substitute tests or measurements in the lab that can replace an actual real life test.

Just like testing car performance, one can look at all the specs and can guesstimate how it'll perform on paper, but there's no substitute to an actual test drive to see how it feels and performs on the road.
    Last edited by visor; 08-10-2014 at 05:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Qualification and verification

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    There's likely no substitute tests or measurements in the lab that can replace an actual real life test.

Just like testing car performance, one can look at all the specs and can guesstimate how it'll perform on paper, but there's no substitute to an actual test drive to see how it feels and performs on the road.
    Thanks for the response.
    I agree but it is good to have some quantifiable information to start with. We are trying to develop tests which are directly correlated to the play tested characteristics and will publish the research for scrutiny. One of the problems at moment is that, at $3000 a go for a once-off qualification and only a slight chance of a re-evaluation, you can't be sure of what you are buying.
    Gordon.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast