User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Luckily there are not too many of these rude guys on the court.

This is our tournament rule in our international youth tournaments (national teams level), when there are no line judges in the first rounds:
    - in general the player on which side the bird lands makes the call
    - if the opponent disagrees the players have to find a common call or let
    - if no agreement is found, the game has to be replayed

This means that the player who leads the game will more likely tend to accept a point in disadvantage if the alternative is to restart the game.
    Interesting observation: most diagreements happen in girls singles
    Last edited by Hagen; 06-25-2013 at 04:13 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hagen View Post

This is our tournament rule in our international youth tournaments (national teams level), when there are no line judges in the first rounds:

This means that the player who leads the game will more likely tend to accept a point in disadvantage if the alternative is to restart the game.
    hahahaaaaa... funny

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i've never called a let in any games i've played, if it looked close and my opponent called it out, then i will tell myself, gotta place it cleaner next time, in singles and doubles. there are times, like mentioned above, when i smash straight down the line, i have a better angle to see if the shuttle was out or not, and if it's out but my opponent calls it in, i would still call it out. just because i hate knowing the fact that i know for sure it's out, but i get a point anyway, it's not the right way to win in my honest opinion.

i do like the ping pong idea tho

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy crap! If I played in a competition under that rule I would never lose a match. If my opponent hit 18 points with any kind of lead over me I would find away to dispute every line call after that point. It's an idiot rule and the final call should go to the receiving side I can't see how that is a worse option than replaying the game.

As I've said before, my comments are for casual non-competitive play. If you are finding yourself using lets in such play you are being way too uptight about calling lines. I hate people that try to win casual matches with their microscopes and their lawyers rather than with their racquets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thunder.tw View Post
    Holy crap! If I played in a competition under that rule I would never lose a match. If my opponent hit 18 points with any kind of lead over me I would find away to dispute every line call after that point. It's an idiot rule and the final call should go to the receiving side I can't see how that is a worse option than replaying the game.

As I've said before, my comments are for casual non-competitive play. If you are finding yourself using lets in such play you are being way too uptight about calling lines. I hate people that try to win casual matches with their microscopes and their lawyers rather than with their racquets.
    Ah, yes, I forgot to mention that if a game is being replayed, a judge is present for the rest of the match. So, sorry friend, you would still lose
    And please be a bit careful calling it an 'idiot' rule - your suggestion is worse than our rule, because if the receiving side has always the right to make the final call, we would give all a$$holes a better chance to cheat and annoy the good ones.
    Regarding non-competitive games I would not play with those people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, yes, I forgot to mention that if a game is being replayed, a judge is present for the rest of the match.
    Well I can't read your mind can I?

So, sorry friend, you would still lose
    Er.. I wasn't actually being serious.

And please be a bit careful calling it an 'idiot' rule - your suggestion is worse than our rule, because if the receiving side has always the right to make the final call, we would give all a$$holes a better chance to cheat and annoy the good ones.
    Regarding non-competitive games I would not play with those people.
    As you presented it was/is a dumb rule which can still be exploited in numerous ways and is far from fair. For example if I am losing but, I see that my opponent is running out of steam all I need to do is dispute a line call and have the game start over.

In competitions where the organizers choose not to have line judges present, the receiving player is still the one to make the final call. As I mentioned earlier, the opponent can still challenge the call but final say goes to the receiver. Wouldn't giving the players the option of requesting a line judge at any point be better than replaying a match? Your rule is so bad that I actually consider allowing for a let a far better option. Nothing makes a bad idea look better than a horrible idea.

Anyways, you are talking about competition badminton which is a different circumstance altogether (there is actually something at stake).
    Last edited by thunder.tw; 06-26-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That is truly astounding! No line judges at a national level tournament? That's like asking for trouble.

Surely a more sensible solution to this issue could be arrived at? I seem to recall that in such cases, other players used to be "recruited" for line-judge duties -just 2 operating at diagonally opposite corners.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    That is truly astounding! No line judges at a national level tournament? That's like asking for trouble.

Surely a more sensible solution to this issue could be arrived at? I seem to recall that in such cases, other players used to be "recruited" for line-judge duties -just 2 operating at diagonally opposite corners.
    You have no faith in the honour system ? You'd probably be surprised then how little argument there is (although they say the danish have a habit of abusing this )

And he said international youth tournaments, like Langenfeld and even the German Junior Open (and Dutch) . I think it is quite common in Europe to have no line judges in the early rounds ...
    Last edited by demolidor; 06-26-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's pretty common not to have line judges at this level.

and yes it's true, danish players don't discuss their decisions. if they call "out", they mean out. you have to know that and adapt accordingly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3