Any rules on who should make line call first on club level play?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by jaxewong, Jun 2, 2013.

1. jaxewong

jaxewong New Member

I have searched the forum and don't find any.

Playing double match in my club, a player always shouts loudly on their shots ("IN"), which landing on my side, .... before my team said anything. His intention is to influence our decision.

At once I saw an youtube video that the professional team complained to the judge about this kind of behavior (other team made a line call to the line judge).

I wonder if there any rule(s) to stop this.

Thanks in advance.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    did he say it before or after the shuttle landed?

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Depends.

On whether it was a hopeful shout (like I do sometimes hoping my shot is in or their shot is out). Otherwise obviously you're closer and would be a better judge of it being in or out.

Also depends on play level, if social, just let it be. If competitive, then I'd say something like "since I'm closer I can judge better".

#3 visor, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  4. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

There are some immature guys that scream YES! when the shuttle lands out or impossible to call. Sucks to play against them because you know when you'll call it out they'll start an argument...

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    put up a sign. do not make line calls unless you are the linesman. ;). lol

6. jaxewong

jaxewong New Member

It happened after the shuttle landed.

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Your opponent is just being a bit of a prick. ;) The rules aren't really relevant here; this is about etiquette.

What's needed is a quiet word about changing his behaviour, perhaps from someone on the club commitee (if you have one).

Another option is to copy his behaviour when playing against him. This can be an effective way to make him realise how obnoxious it is.

If that doesn't work, you can either confront him more directly or escalate the issue formally with the club. Personally I'd start with the former, but that's 'cos I'm an ornery wossname. :D

#7 Gollum, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  8. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

It all depends how you take it, since this is club level. In a professional sense, your opponent is not allowed to influence your call, it is your call. They might yell it hoping it's in or something.

9. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Just don't let it influence your decision. You are calling it right?(no linesman). If he goes crazy after the call - laugh it off, play let or confront him.
    Don't think the rule would cover influencing your own decision.

10. krysser

krysser Regular Member

Well if this was at competetion level, I would comment this behavior the first time it happens, if the behavior continues, I will rule it out if there is the slighest doubt about it being in (I will normally rule it in if there is any doubt).
    If this was just a training match against normal training buddys, then just let it slip, or make a comment and let it go.

I know this can piss someone off, so just flame away ;)

11. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    at the professional level the players can complain about their opponents yelling line calls trying to influence the line judges. at the local level where you're just playing for fun even tho you might be very serious, the people on the side where the shuttle lands should be the people calling it.

when i play, mostly for fun, it's a very polite atmosphere and the opponents are very polite and honest, and sometimes none of the four players on court saw the drop, if it's a shot that i or my partner hit, then i tell them that it's their call. but sometimes even the opponents didn't see the drop and after i tell them it's their call, they would still want to replay the point. :)

the simplest way is to just not play with them. or if you must, tell them it's on your side, your call.

i like this idea :)

then it's your call, don't worry about their wishful thinking.

no, i think it's very logical. of course if it's competition level i would probably get some line judges as well :)

12. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

There is no rule for this in casual play (no officials). It is just considered very poor etiquette whether they are being 'hopeful' or not.

13. gundamzaku

working professional
    you could get someone to be a line judge if that person is willing and hopefully it's not a friend from either side so that the calls can be as unbias as possible, but depends on how serious your "club" is because here we just trust our opponents to be fair and honest and almost all the time they are. then again the people i play with are all friendly and there is a mutual respect.

14. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

Whether your opponent is being 'hopeful' or not, they're being rude & unpleasant. Badminton can be frustrating enough without people like that spoiling it for everyone else.

Personally, I'd ask a committee member/organizer to have a discrete word. That would be the best way to avoid things getting personal. They may not realize how rude it is.

If this becomes a serial problem, then the committee will have to deal with it. You don't want members walking away from the club because of something like this.

Whilst I'd view the clubs that I play for as 'serious', I'd echo the comments above. If you're not sure (or it's close), call it 'in'.

15. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    if no one is sure whether it is in or out, just call let--since it is not a real tournament

16. thunder.tw

Wrong! You assume it is in. Only if you are damn sure it was out do you call it out. Seriously? Such straightforward sportsmanship is really that difficult a concept to grasp?

17. gundamzaku

working professional
    i agree, because ultimately you're trying to have fun and enjoy the game with your opponents. but even during a tournament if it's really close and i'm not sure that it's out, i always call it in, just to give my opponent the benefit of a doubt, and like mentioned above, sportsmanship.

and on a side note, i think someone had a quote on the forum, something about how competition brings out who you really are, especially in badminton for me :)

18. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    strange, I actually agree with everything u said.:p

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Wow. Isn't that a tad harsh? Just because someone calls a let because he wasn't sure it was in or not. What if he had called it out instead of calling a let? ;)

20. thunder.tw

How is that harsh. If you aren't sure, how can you reasonably call it out. Simple sportsmanship dictates you assume your opponents shot is good unless you clearly see it as out. No matter how badly you want to win the point.

So, if he isn't sure and he calls it out, he is a cheater.