Rules for badminton.......

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by simonf90, Nov 28, 2003.

1. simonf90

simonf90 Regular Member

I'm confused about the rules of badminton................:(

At the start of the double game,the service serve at the right court,if he win,then he have to serve at the left court,right???
    but how about if he lose???

2. simonf90

simonf90 Regular Member

I'm totally confused about the relationship of serve/receive and left/right court........:(

3. quagmire

quagmire Regular Member

graphic designer
    im still a newb so if im wrong someone pls correct me, heres my understanding so far...

at the start of a doubles game, if the serving side loses the rally, they dont get a second serve, they dont rotate and the service goes over to the other side.

whenever the service goes over to the other side, it is always served from the right side of the court. the receiver is always the one on the opposite diagonal end of the other court.

only the serving side when winning a point gets to rotate.

if for example the first service is lost on the right side of the court, the second service is done by the second player on the left side and vice versa.

it would be easier to understand if you watch a doubles game played. hope i made sense.

4. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    In a doubles game, each side get two opportunities to serve (per player) except for the very first serve of the game. So, if you are starting the game and serving, you only get one serve (unless you keep winning the point). Once you lose that serve, service goes to the opposition which will have two serve (one per player). After the opposition loses their serves, then service reverts back to you and your partner. This continues until the end of the game.

At the beginning of the service, you will start from the right court. If your team wins the point, you will serve from the left (alternating each time you keep your service). If you lose that point, your partner will get to serve (from the right court). Think of it this way, if you start the game from the right court, then at every even point (i.e. 2, 4, 6, ...), you will be on the right court and on the left court on every odd point.

Hope this is clear enough for you.

5. simonf90

simonf90 Regular Member

so how about if I lose when the point is odd number???my partner have to serve at the left side or right side???

thx for helping ;)

6. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Let's put it this way. Scenario: you are serving to start the game (from the right court) and won the point. So now, you rotate with your partner, to serve from the left court (score is 1 to 0 in your favour) and your partner is on the right court. You loses that serve. so now serve goes over to your opponents who will get two serves and start by serving from their right court (to your partner). Let say you won that serve so they get a second serve with the second player serving to you (from their left court). You win that point so serve comes back to you and your partner. Now the score is still 1 to 0 but now, it's your partner (being on the right court) will serve and once that serve is lost, it will be your turn to serve (depending on when the first serve was lost), you will serve from the other side of the court from where your partner had served before loss of the first serve.

Your team will always start your first serve from the right side.

7. simonf90

simonf90 Regular Member

ic........:eek:
    really thanks Winex West Can
    :)