Electro Shock Wave Treatment therapy? (ESWT)

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by aushaw, Jun 4, 2013.

1. aushaw

aushaw Regular Member

Technical Education in Dentistry
    This has been considered as the best method for treating tennis and golf elbow problems along with shoulder, heel and so many more injuries from badminton. I myself have had a few treatments from 2 different countries and found the healing time cut by almost a 3rd compared to alternative techniques.
    I tore my achilles and had severe shoulder problems recently(tore ligaments in rotator cuff) they healed fast and so far so good....so come on....any other peoples responses here about this?

Why is it so exepensive?

2. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Really? First I've heard of it.

Any sources / studies that back up what you say?

3. visor

visor Regular Member

ESWT = extracorporeal shock wave therapy

not electro! ;)

i've seen it used effectively for plantar fasciitis and heel spurs, but not elbow or shoulder tendinitis... for those latter areas, ultrasound and interferential therapy perhaps are useful

#3 visor, Jun 5, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  4. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

I'm doing it for my shin splints (medial tibial stress syndrome), not sure if it helps that much but damn it is painful.
    My physiotherapist says she has mostly been successful with heel spurs using it (100%), but it's not as common for shin splints and tennis elbow, and the success rate isn't as high.
    Also, I didn't know it was expensive. I get my treatment essentially free. Hurray for living in a country with medical subsidy :)

5. kidbadmint

kidbadmint New Member

Can't say why it is so expensive but would guess the machines cost a fortune and is not like you can pick one up at Walmart lol.

The reason why so many RSI are so hard to overcome is because tendons tear and break down, they need a healthy and constant supply of blood. Unfortunately tendons do not get much blood supply to begin with. Perhaps these machines help with that.