racket failure at junction of shaft and grip

Discussion in 'Grip' started by carlol, Nov 28, 2003.

1. carlol

carlol Regular Member

entreprenuer
    my racket, a yonex carbonex 15 sp long, just broke. Funny thing was, it didnt break at the shaft or at the head. It isnt actually broken... yet. I noticed that the junction between the grip and the shaft, right after the tapering part has loosened. I can feel it distinctly moving around a bit, and im sure it will come loose any time soon.

This is a weird way for a racket to fail. Is this considered a factory defect?:mad: :confused: I know i cant have it replaced, but im just disappointed for it to fail that way.... it wouldve been better if the head broke while smashing or hitting another racket.

2. iluvthesun

iluvthesun Regular Member

soooo freaky to hear that. i had the same feeling with my ti10 today - the feeling of the shaft coming out of the handle. but i checked again and saw there was nothing wrong with it. i could swear though...

3. carlol

carlol Regular Member

entreprenuer
    i felt that same way before, a few days ago.... i thought it was just me. well, yesterday the feeling of looseness intensified, and i can distinctly feel the shaft moving around when i hold the racket at the tapered end of the handle and flick my racket around.

Im taking it back to the shop, to see if they can replace it or do something about it. Been using this racket for almost a year now, playing 3x/week

4. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

me too i had this trouble with my ti-5. i just put some crazy glue in the hole between the shaft and the handle. You also should take off the grip and check if the screw is in place.

5. carlol

carlol Regular Member

entreprenuer
    screw? i didnt know there was a screw there.... where is the screw located? under the cap at the base of the grip? maybe thats the problem. I was also thinking of using crazy glue on the gap between the shaft and handle, but wanna take it to the shop first before doing that.

Hows your ti-5 now? good as new? were u able to use it already?

Thanks

6. carlol

carlol Regular Member

entreprenuer
    I finally figured out what happed. The tapered coney part (the part with the serial no.), between the handle and the shaft, came off. I just slid off... you can actually slide it up and down the shaft. The shaft is still firmly (i hope) attached to the wooden handle.

What i did was pressed the cone back down towards the handle, applied a lil bit of superglue where the handle and the bottom of the cone met, and then reinforced that with electrical tape. I didnt apply superglue at the tip of the cone, to allow flexing, so it is bascially attached only at the bottom.

I also found the screw you mentioned... i never noticed that there was a screw there. Tightened it a bit just to make sure.

Well, at least it isn't as broken as it thought it would be. Is this a normal thing to happen to that coney part?

:D

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    It's happened to me on several Carlton racquets and one Yonex MP100. Just glue it back on, as you did, but I'd advise you to use two-component epoxy glue after some surface sanding if you want it to last. I doubt the superglue will hold for long. I did this to my MP100 and it's still holding up almost two years later.

8. cvanbui

cvanbui Regular Member

student
    hey guys/gals;

i have the same problem, i even wrote a new post " racket problem" anyway i have the same problem, i own 3 cab and all have the same problem. i was wondering do yonex warranty that kind of problem?

mine crack at the junction of shaft and handle. please let me know if there is a warranty or not, all three racket crack within less then a year of purchase.

9. carlol

carlol Regular Member

entreprenuer
    a crack is a totaly different ball game... i'm hoping that your dealer considers it as part of the warranty, otherwise, its another dead racket.

What happened in my case is that the coney part just came loose.... there were no cracks or any physical damage on the shaft of the racket. The way i see it, the coney part is just a cosmetic part of the racket, and serves no structural purpose whatsoever, excpet somewhere to place ur thumb or hand on if you like holding ur racket short staffed...

hope the damage / defect is covered by your warranty. :)

10. cvanbui

cvanbui Regular Member

student
    i call the shop it is under warranty, however it's pass one year therefore i'm out of luck. The conial part to me is a structural part, because now the shaft tends to move around.

i still favor yonex over others, so i guess it's time for cab 30

11. carlol

carlol Regular Member

entreprenuer
    the way i understand it, its the crack is at the coney part. If the crack is there and u 'feel' the shaft moving, it may be because the crack at the coney part has made it feel loose, but actually its not the shaft thats moving.

The shaft is embedded into the wooden handle, prolly secured by the tiny screw mentioned above. I also felt that the shaft would come loose before i discovered that fact.

When i repaired the problem with my racket, the coney part actually was able to slide up and down the length of the shaft until i glued and taped it to the handle.

Hope this helps

12. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

i've had the same problem.. on two occasions. One with my yang yang tactic 8500 and the other with my ti swing power. The cone on my yang yang literally fell off and slid up and down the shaft, i had to superglue it back and grip my grip over the cone (to be on the safe side). For my ti swing, the cone never came off but instead every time i took a swing, i heard a tiny crack in the cone. As of now, i have the grip gripped over the cone. It seems to be a good "long" temporary solution, haven't had any problems so far.

13. bottleneck

bottleneck Regular Member

sales
    I got the handle coming lose with my Yonex 87VF I bought more than a year ago. It didn't slide off the shaft though, it just moved a quarter to the left and right. I took it back to store to fix.
    Anyway, lousy service, it took them almost 5 weeks to get repared and I think they never sent it to the yonex distributor in Taiwan, I guess they fixed it themself with some glue or something.

Finally got it back and after one game the same problem occured. Took it back again and told them my opinion about how it got fixed. Got it back again and obviously they didn't sent it to yonex either this time. I guess they used a different material (epoxy?) to fix it.

Didn't use it anymore as I bought a babolat racket.

But this is Taiwan, after sales service stinks.

#13 bottleneck, Dec 7, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2003
  14. event

event Regular Member

I had a serious problem with my Carlton Megaflex Ti-1. The shaft was noticeably loose at the junction with the grip. Unfortunately, in my case, it wasn't just the plastic cuff coming loose. The shaft had actually somehow come unstuck from the grip. My dealer sent it back to Carlton and I got it back with the worst grip I've ever seen. It was tiny and the cross-section is almost square. Absolutely no symmetry to the bevels and the bevels aren't even equal width all the way down the grip. I considered trying to redo the bevels myself but realized that that would leave me with a grip about the size of a tootbrush so I decided against it. They didn't charge me for it but I didn't want to send it back a second time because any outfit that slaps together such a poor excuse for a grip can't really be trusted with a $200 racquet. It's only a matter of time before they really mess it up.