Racket Frame Warp?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by bryamagata, Jun 5, 2013.

Tags:
  1. bryamagata

bryamagata Regular Member

Student
    I have a question regarding my Yonex rackets.

Basically how I test my racket frame for flatness is to use my polished granite countertop, and placing just the head and parts on the shaft on the countertop, and the handle suspended in the air.

Then I press down the middle of the string bed with one finger. And my other hand, I press down around the head frame kf the racket to see if there is any give. If there is give, then that area might be slightly deformed.

I was wondering if this is normal?

If it is, does it affect the racket's performance?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you are assuming that the racket is uniformly flat surface, which is not the case most of the time. you should double check by flipping the racket around to see if it deforms the same way in a opposite direction.

3. bryamagata

Student
    Hi

Yes, I did Flip and check, and some of my rackets seems to be slightly deformed only when checked on one side. Some rackets are slightly deformed on both sides. I am talking about brand new Yonex rackets I bought, not used rackets.

I also checked the frame flatness on my brand new unstrung VTZF, and it is slightly flat on one of the sides.

Therefore I think string tension may not be a direct culprit. My rackets are strung at lower tensions, less than Yonex recommended maximum, ~21-24lbs

4. decoy

decoy Regular Member

The voltric especially would have problems with this because of the bumps on them.

5. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    The best way imho, is to spin the racquet in your hand. A perfectly straight racquet will not wobble and be near perfectly balanced. I say near-perfect because most racquets are inherently very slightly imbalanced from the factory.

EDIT: But to be honest, if you're concerned about how straight the racquet is, unless it is made from a metal, good quality carbon racquets are generally all pretty straight. Any damage should be obvious, such as cracking or warping.

#5 R20190, Jun 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  6. bryamagata

Student
    All my rackets are carbon graphite mid high to highend. NS9900, MP99, Arc5DX, 8DX, NR700RP and FX, VTZF, and Ti10 Ltd