User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Time for an update.

I still continue the physio.

The physio is still able to find a lot of tense areas of muscles.

I do stretching regularly even when not on court.

I am much, much better.

I still feel a twinge in the muscle so I pace my smash strength judiciously going for technique (better body rotation) rather than power. All other shots are fine.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this plagued me for the longest time too! and it was a vtzf 4U at 27lbs, bg66um that triggered the sharp pain in the elbow that had never happened to me before.

i shifted to cope with it by moving towards fast racquets that were whippy and arm swing based, couldnt smash without the pain coming in for months.. its frustrating because of the doubles groups that i play at sometimes when your partner shouts.. SMASH!! and.. you give a half hearted weak smash and dirty looks are shot at you etc..

its probably some kind of "ultrasonic" damage, usually some super hard impact vibration that travels down and terminates at the elbow

in an attempt for the body to naturally repair itself i took quite a bit of fresh milk, half a litre before bed regularly.. it finally went away a few weeks ago.. the thing that helped the most was not playing the injurous shots i.e. very hard back hands at full extension where the elbow joint can be hurt, smashing less. increasing grip size was the most helpful, right now i play with slightly bigger than g4 than my former thinly gripped g5. it feels big and clumsy, not as nimble as a smaller grip, but with it I can smash comfortably right now with no more pain! and i hope it stays that way....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's been almost a month since I got this injury and nearly 3 weeks of total rest without playing. I felt much better and did not feel any pain when I tried to swing my rackets on various speeds and positions at home, so I thought las Saturday was a good time to I pick up my gears and give myself a try on the court. Before this, I went to see a shinshe (traditional chinese doctor) and I got a session of waxing, "deep tissue" massage and accupuncture.

First, I stretched my lower arm following the video on Cheung's post earlier and after that I wrapped my elbow with a Bauerfeind EpiTrain which is supposed to support the elbow joint and reduce any pain caused by golfer's/tennis elbow.

Started with a couple of slow strokes during warming up, I did not feel any pain or discomfort when I hit the shuttle before it passed me. Forehand drives and backhand clears were smooth with only just a bit self-hesitation to put more power on the shots.

The real test came on the first MD game of that session and I played it mostly with standing at the front court as much as possible. Whenever I moved to the back court, I played slow drop shots and follow in forward to go for a rotation and my partner moved closer to the baseline to cover the rear court... I thanked him for the understanding !

After a few points, my hesitation went down and I was carried on by the game. I started to unleash more power, then the pain started to appear when I tried to do a stick forehand smash where the shuttle was at the further right of my standing position so I need to flick my wrist and pronate my right hand more. After this happened, I noticed the pain was gradually getting worse and very obvious when I do forehand drive with my right arm fully stretched sideways at the shoulder level.
    I did not enjoy the session at all and most of the time I was frustrated in deciding what kind of shot that I was to execute and whenever the pain occured, I lost focus on the next shot. I was totally beaten off by my own minds.

The day after, I felt a mild pain on my inner-elbow when I woke up in the morning but the pain was gone after a few repetitions of stretching. I went to visit the shinshe again to do the same series of treatment, this time he told me to go back to a total rest for another 4-6 weeks and the treatment should be continued once a week within the period

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vajrasattva View Post
    increasing grip size was the most helpful, right now i play with slightly bigger than g4 than my former thinly gripped g5. it feels big and clumsy, not as nimble as a smaller grip, but with it I can smash comfortably right now with no more pain! and i hope it stays that way....
    This came across my mind that I was decreasing my grip size by wrapping one thinner overgrip just a while before I got this golfer's elbow injury. Should that be related somehow ? Or the thicker grip provides better shock absorbing so it help to reduce the impact on the elbow ?

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just want to make sure we're talking about the same thing.
    Golfer's elbow (medial epicondylitis) vs. tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis).

Due to biomechanical forces, golfer's elbow occur due to repetitive forceful forearm pronation, ie. smashes.
    Whereas tennis elbow occur due to repetitive forceful forearm supination, ie. backhand shots.

Name:  tennis-and-golfers-elbow.gif
Views: 3335
Size:  48.2 KB

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are the golfer's elbow exercises I have been doing so far :

• Wrist stretch (3 x 20secs)
    • Eccentric wrist flexion (3 x 15 reps) weight gradually increased
    • Eccentric wrist extension (3 x 15 reps) weight gradually increased
    • Grip strengthening - squeeze a gyro-force roller ball for 5 mins (3x daily)
    • Forearm pronation and supination strengthening (3 x 15 reps) weight gradually increased

Details and pictures can be found over here :
    http://www.summitmedicalgroup.com/li...tis_exercises/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinner grip size engages your forearm muscles more frequently than thicker grip size. If your grip is not relaxed to begin with, it will worsen your tendonitis. If you want to improve shock absorption, lower your racquet tension.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Went full out tonight on some demanding games. Practically no reaction from the area giving me a problem. Didnt change grip size. I guess it would help if I could actually hit the shuttle properly after a long layoff. Plenty of mishits on the smash.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Went full out tonight on some demanding games. Practically no reaction from the area giving me a problem. Didnt change grip size. I guess it would help if I could actually hit the shuttle properly after a long layoff. Plenty of mishits on the smash.
    You need a 675mm racket for more reach instead of the 665mm one that you're using.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    You need a 675mm racket for more reach instead of the 665mm one that you're using.
    Was using a 675mm for the night...

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Was using a 675mm for the night...
    Now which cab 20 is 675mm?

I still think your injury was due to the harsh vectran feel of the bg85. Especially when you're used to your nbg98. Have you tried zm62/65? Great repulsion and yet medium feel. None of the vectran shock.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not yet. Doing a bit of equipment testing

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

About time you tested out newer rackets.

Adidas Adizero? Arc FB? NR750?

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Shh, patience is a virtue

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to hear that !
    Seems like another month or so for me to go along

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still feel a twinge in the muscle so I pace my smash strength judiciously going for technique (better body rotation) rather than power. All other shots are fine.
    Mind to share a bit more about the body rotation part ? Before I learned to use forearm pronation, I used to smash by rotating the whole arm with my shoulder as an axis together with a snap of the wrist during impact.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quixilver View Post
    Mind to share a bit more about the body rotation part ? Before I learned to use forearm pronation, I used to smash by rotating the whole arm with my shoulder as an axis together with a snap of the wrist during impact.
    http://http://www.badmintoncentral.c...g-how-to-smashFu Hai Feng turns his body. I wasn't doing this very well before. I had unwittingly slipped into a bad habit of just using my shoulder and arm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2