Victor Thruster k8000 or Victor Meteor x-jjs

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ShangLin, Jun 6, 2013.

1. ShangLin

ShangLin New Member

Im chosing between these two rackets and im not sure which one to pick.

2. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Nor are we, unless you'd like to offer some more information about your playing style, your current racket and what you (dis)like about it.

You can tell us why you were considering these two rackets as well, if you'd like.

3. ShangLin

ShangLin New Member

At the moment I'm using the Voltric 80 and i usually play doubles, sometimes singles. I just cant get the right angle for the smash using the voltric 80. It goes a bit high over the net.

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

And you think a new racket will fix it? I've got news for you... It's operator error.

5. TheNotoriousLIG

TheNotoriousLIG Regular Member

Student
    A new racquet won't fix that I'm afraid. The usual causes of flat smashes is either arching your back before you smash, not taking the shuttle high enough (ie, commonly people wrongly take the shuttle with a bent arm so they only hit the shuttle about a foot above their heads. I was guilty of this for a long time) and not getting behind the shuttle before you smash. If you don't get behind the shuttle properly you can't reach for the shuttle fully and smash it downwards will all your strength instead of with just your arm+shoulder doing something similar to a slice but so the shuttle goes downwards a little. Spend the money you were going to spend on a new racquet on some small class or 1-on-1 coaching. That will make a bigger difference to your game.

6. swunk

swunk Regular Member

yep, the change of racket wont fix the technique. but playing doubles with 3U VT80 is not really rewarding.
    tk8000 is said to be quite head-heavy so i don't think the transition makes any sense. jjs might be a good choice, actually.

7. TheNotoriousLIG

TheNotoriousLIG Regular Member

Student
    I actually quite liked the Vt80 in doubles. But it can get very tiring if you find yourself having lots of flat exchanges or defensive shots or smashes. The repeated wrist action can become uncomfortable but there are better choices for doubles. JJS is said to be quite heavy from what I have read with a lower bp (correct me if I'm wrong) which doesn't really suit singles. The tk8000 is supposed to be a bit lighter but more head heavy so its better for singles but its also a good doubles racquet. I am basing the opinion on the JJS and tk8000 on what I have read about them so this may not be totally accurate.

But I still believe coaching to fix bad technique is a better way to spend the money.

8. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

Any racket can be used for doubles or singles. The issue is whether or not you are able to cope with the weight, stiffness and so on. Not all of us are playing high paced doubles games like the pros, so in this case a head heavy 3U racket is still usable.
    I had no issues using the Vt-80 except that it was a little slow in defence. The JJS was fine too except I couldn't get steep angles and it felt a little stiff to me and the TK8k to me works very well as does the BS12 and XP70. All of my rackets are 3U.

You just have to pick what feels right to you.
    4U for head heavy rackets are a safe bet for doubles if you think 3U is too heavy for doubles.

9. swunk

swunk Regular Member

it all really comes down to the level of the game... when playing against serious MD opponents who play well at the net, who like to play flat and fast, who put nice smashes on the lifts - i find myself struggling with a very head-heavy racket.
    it all can be done, no doubt, some professional doubles players use head-heavy rackets, although i believe they use 4U versions. but a faster racket just makes life easier working for you, not against. and the smash - well it's basically all about technique, not the head weight.

10. adrian880

adrian880 Regular Member

I would prefer the Tk-8000 as it is more attacking racquet which I think it is more suitable to my style.