A New Badminton Device - Your assistance please!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by wordy, Jun 7, 2013.

1. wordy

wordy Regular Member

coach
    Hello everyone,

If you are a badminton player, you may be interested in a new badminton device. Please see the following link to a short film showcasing it....

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8YGR9ZD

If you have time please fill out the very short questionnaire too. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

I hope you like what you see. It will be good to hear your feedback too!

Many thanks!

Max - Badminton Coach

2. VictorP

VictorP Regular Member

Student
    This looks impractical imo. Sorry

3. swunk

swunk Regular Member

4. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Except it also helps pick up shuttles?
    I don't train myself/others, so it's not handy for me.

5. phili

phili Regular Member

There is some nice thought behind it. Using a tube as a shuttle holde is nothing new but the way of picking up shuttles looks interesting

6. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

This is an ingenious product, and I love the design. The way it picks up shuttles without harming them is brilliant. Well done. :)

But it seems much slower to pick up shuttles in this way, compared to just bending down and grabbing them. The Shuttle Up can only grab one shuttle at a time.

If you have lots of shuttles in a small area, then you just squat down and stack them by hand. This is much faster than individually gathering them using the Shuttle Up.

If you have a few shuttles that are widely spread out, then the Shuttle Up would be better -- because you can stay upright all the time. It will be faster and more comfortable.

If you have lots of shuttles that are widely spread out, then the Shuttle Up will take ages. The most efficient option will be to gather the shuttles using a clean V-sweeper court brush, and then squat down and stack by hand.

So I feel this product has a narrow "sweetspot" for picking up shuttles. Too many shuttles? Then it's too slow. Shuttles close together? Then it's not needed.

Having said that, I would love to get my hands on one for some real-life experience. :) It also looks like quite a good feeder tube, independently of picking up shuttles.

What we really need is some kind of vacuum-cleaner feeder tube, which sucks shuttles into a wide (detachable) mouth, before magically orienting them comme le Shuttle Up. :D

#6 Gollum, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    as mentioned, the tube isn't new. but i have to agree with the ingenuity on the pick up part. good think on that.

however, also as pointed out, the issue is that it is slower than just sitting down on the floor and stacking them by hand. and i wonder how well it works for shuttles with a few missing feathers.

it certainly saves someone from having to sit on the floor and / or having to bend down.

8. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

But if you have back problems, you're probably not that into badminton (at least playing it).

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Looks like it takes at least 1 sec to pick one up, so if there are 300 shuttles spread out, it'll take 5 min. Not only that, but it'll require extra concentration to make the shuttle orient up, as opposed to just scooping with a v broom all the shuttles to sort into stacks while seated on the ground.

10. paulstewart64

paulstewart64 Regular Member

Marketing Consultant
    Congratulations Max on trying to bring something new to the market for coaches, albeit there are alternatives on the market now.

I prefer to strap my tube rather than hold as you demonstrated. Is this an option with this device?

By the way, how much do you need to create the mould?

Good luck with this Max.

Paul
    www.badminton-coach.co.uk

#10 paulstewart64, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  11. TheNotoriousLIG

TheNotoriousLIG Regular Member

Student
    Interesting product. Its a good idea but I'm unsure if it would sell since it there are similar products already out there. I have also met a couple of coaches who will actually get students to pick up the shuttles while another is doing the drill and stack the shuttles for them so they can go continuously with the drill and also teach the students to be careful with the shuttles and get used to picking them up. Then the students swap and this continues for however many students there are. Certainly younger children benefit from this as they get into the habit of picking up the shuttle so less time is wasted in games with them expecting the others to pick it up. But your product is definitely well thought out and I wish you the best in selling it.

12. rayvinly

rayvinly Regular Member

iOS Developer/Mentor/Trainer/Author
    Interesting! Does it have adjustable length so that players with different height do not need to bend down?

13. wordy

wordy Regular Member

coach
    Shuttle Up Facebook page - updates for Shuttle Up

If you would like to follow progress of this new device please check us out on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shuttle-Up-Ltd-Pick-up-your-game/186664204821583

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

If you are a badminton player, you may be interested in a new badminton device. Please see the following link to a short film showcasing it....

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8YGR9ZD

If you have time please fill out the very short questionnaire too. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

I hope you like what you see. It will be good to hear your feedback too!

Many thanks!

Max - Badminton Coach

14. wordy

wordy Regular Member

coach
  15. wordy

wordy Regular Member

coach
  16. wordy

wordy Regular Member

coach
    Yes, we're looking at having tubes of different length. Would you find this useful?

17. wordy

wordy Regular Member

coach
    Thank you for the feedback and support.

18. wordy

wordy Regular Member

coach
    Nice comments. Thanks for the feedback.

19. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

Many clubs have large squeegees for floors that work very well to sweep the shuttles to one general area (1.5 sq meter). From there its easy to pick up lots of shuttles fast and stack them. If you wanted you could then put them in a tube. Great concept, would love to see it in action.

20. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

Love the concept, my coaches would probably like this. Only problem I see is the size of the tube, but other than that, it seems like a good product!