panhandle grip discussion

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bigredlemon, Nov 26, 2003.

1. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Re: panhandle

Lots of girls at my club hold the racquet panhandle during smashes... and their smashes are pretty hard! (Angle not so good though... i think it's easier to get a steeper powerful smash using the vgrip.)

2. panhandle

panhandle Regular Member

badminton/volleyball promoter
    Re: Re: panhandle

Lot's of players play panhandle, especially beginners or players that have never been taught. Panhandle smashes are hard if you have muscles to back it up!!! Supposed to play panhandle as a net attacker in doubles. You're right about the steeper smash with VOS grip.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: Re: Re: panhandle

Can't agree more than this. I am another example. :)

4. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Using this method of smash is well taught nowdays, it is refered to as stick or flat smash and is a better way to smash more often, used primarily in doubles. Instead of using a full preparation and expending energy your preparation should have your racket at just before the 12 O'clock position and using your forearm to get the power you smash with minimal follow through. Your racket is in a good position to return whatever comes your way and if you need to smash again you are almost ready.

The only difference as the name might suggest id that the smashes tend to be flatter in trajectory than the traditional full smash with the body turnetc.

The technique can also be applied to clears although you do need to have a strong arm.

5. panhandle

panhandle Regular Member

I'm known to be dangerous at the net in doubles as I have flat, rapid shots...opponents know not to play the quick drive game with me at the net as I usually end up winning most of those rallies. I am good at blocking or cutting off a lot of shots too. I was told by a scottish coach that some top players play panhandle, but they don't admit it. They try to teach only the VOS grip as only certain people can play with the panhandle well.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes, panhandle grip is not well taught or understood. The pros do use them in certain strokes and situation. For those havent tried it, give it a try.

7. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Can you name the Scottish coach? If not can you PM me

8. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

yes, panhandle can be used in different situations..one of my coaches told me to try it for net kills...i still am not accustomed to the technique

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    if we say a normal grip is 0 degrees and a pure panhandle is 90 degrees, then i think a 30-45 degree grip is often useful at the net. mind you, such a grip is quite agile and you can still use a lot of fast finger movement to whip on the birdie.

however, i won't advocate a 90 degree pure panhandle. to me that's too restrictive.

10. Dill

Dill Regular Member

What you describe is what is used to be known as an advanced grip, it is now known as a universal grip. This consists of, if you hold your racket with the flat edge that corresponds with the side of your racket fitting into your V shape which many text books use as a reference you turn the racket 1/8 th of a turn clockwise so the smallest flat edge is in line with the V of your hand, so instead of looking at the narrowest face of the racket you now have a slight angle in the playing surface.

It was the usual grip of players because they could play any shot using this without having to change their grip and therefore concentrating on movement and placement.

11. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    In most badminton classes we are taught to hold the racquet using the VOS grip, but as we know that is the basic grip and does not mean that you will use that grip at all times.

You have the pan handle (frying pan), VOS, backhand grip and the universal grip and you use them as needed but I do believed that most top players use the universal grip as Dill alluded in terms of its versality.

BTW, Kwun, you should spin this discussion out onto a different thread ;D

12. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    so is "VOS" and acronym or something? I know the V-grip and know that VOS is universal grip.

-dave

13. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

after playing more attention to my grip this evening, i just discovered that i used the panhandle grip for *ALL* of my high forehand shots (above neck). I guess maybe that's why i'm having trouble with fast drives (lag from switching grip makes fast returns harder.)

What grip is ideal for drives? Any pics of this VOS grip? Not sure what you're talking about.

As for splitting the thread, I second that motion.

14. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Yes split it because we have just taken over someones introduction!!

If you are clearing and dropping using a panhandle then the safest bet is you are punch or attack clearing, dropping - well some people play drops like this but I think it is better to use the proper grip and pronate the forearm because the shuttle flys of the strings better and thats why you need the proper technique.

If you are trying to slice it using a panhandle the motion is completely different and your opponent "should" be able to read your shot earlier and your wrist should be locked as in a more pushing or slapping motion. But don't get me wrong there are very good players who use the panhandle grip and play very effectivley with it but it is just the difference of levels, there is always someone better than yourself regardless of how they play or what they use.

It's what makes the game so versatile and playable!!

15. panhandle

panhandle Regular Member

For fast drives at the net you are supposed to use panhandle. VOS means V to Opposet Shoulder. Index and thumb make a VOS.

I keep my panhandle grip the same for all my shots except the backhand is proper or normal.

PANHANDLERS are deadly at the net!!!!!! :D

16. panhandle

panhandle Regular Member

My panhandle slice has the same motion as a VOS slice, plus I even have a reverse slice which is very deceptive. A lot of top players can't read my drop slice or drop shot and hate playing against me. It's hard to explain, but better for someone like Winex West Can to explain it's effectives as he plays against me and has heard talk about my game with others.

And as for the Scottish coach question from an earler post, his name is Alf McGuire. He's currently NCCP Level 4 coach here in Canada and conducts clinics for other coaches. Older gentlemen over 45 years I think.

It would be my honour to play against all of you so you can see how effective I am. I am confident my panhandle is strong...even if I lose, I think you'll have respect for what I can do.

I even have this tight cross court net shot from the forehand to backhand side using panhandle (can catch shuttle high or low), even easier from the backhand side to forehand (which some of you probably have) using normal or proper backand grip.

Kind of funny that my INTRODUCTION is getting a lot of action!!! :D

17. panhandle

panhandle Regular Member

What happenned to all the action on this thread after it got moved here? :(

18. andymcg

andymcg Regular Member

Software Engineer
    In my experience you use whichever grip is required to get the racket face square onto the net. For example, so on the forehand side you will use the panhandle grip when the shuttle is directly in front of you (most likely at the net), a standard or universal grip when the shuttle is slightly in front or to the side of you and when the shuttle is far behind you, you will need to use a backhand grip. This will enable you to use the full range of shots from each position. Try playing a cross court shot when the shuttle is far behind you in the forehand corner with a standard grip and you will see what I mean! You need a backhand grip to get the racket face square to the net.

19. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Exactly Andy, and corresponding on the bhand side you use "backhand " grip with shuttle in front through to panhandle with shuttle behind you.

Its really simple and yet apparantly not understood, I think a lot the problems stem from the names, "forehand" "backhand" . When you start saying use a forehand grip on the backhand side it gets confusing.

20. Framerate

Framerate Regular Member

IT-related
    I´d like to se some pictures of different grips cause I´m not sure I get it right.