Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MP33 looked out of place to me too.

I would have expected it to be between the MP24 and the MP99,
    and for stiffness to be MP33 > MP27 > MP24

Not being up-to-the-minute with Yonex products I don't know which of all those are Long.

Cooler, does your stiffness test take into account that a short racquet will seem stiffer than a long racquet?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

cooler. i see. i see.

i am sure cooler's measurement will no doubt generate a lot of interests as it is the first objective and quantitative measurements we've seen.

however, while we do so, i like to applaud cooler for being the 'guy of action', who actually took the time and effort to make all these measurements for everybody.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Neil Nicholls
    MP33 looked out of place to me too.

I would have expected it to be between the MP24 and the MP99,
    and for stiffness to be MP33 > MP27 > MP24

Not being up-to-the-minute with Yonex products I don't know which of all those are Long.

Cooler, does your stiffness test take into account that a short racquet will seem stiffer than a long racquet?
    last question first. Yes, i did normalized to each their own length, that is why i showed relative stiffness, not absolute nor total stiffness.

That was the purpose of going through the rigorous testing so that we subjective human being can see the racket specification objectively. Yes, normal logic would lead us to say mp33 performance to fit within trend of other mp's numerical model naming convention. However, if we apply this logic to the MP88, then MP88 stiffness should fall between MP99>MP88>MP77 but this is not the case. MP88 is more flexy than the beginner racket mp24. I'm sure most of you out there had felt the mp88 and it has a very flexible shaft.
    Last edited by cooler; 12-01-2003 at 04:03 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2003 racket head balance point

Thanks Kwun

As the second part of this thread, the table shows the racket head balance point of the 2003 yonex rackets (from mp24 upward). Since each racket has difference length, i am showing the result in term of relative head heaviness or tippyness. Yes, some of the result may alarm you but that's how the data came out. All actual measurements are to 0.5 mm. No, i did not use my index finger as the fulcrum. The width of the fulcrum used was 0.5 mm, similar to a dull knife.

0 means balance similar to a 3U cab20M
    negative means relative percentage head lighter than a cab 20M
    positive means relative percentage head heavier than a cab 20M
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by cooler; 12-01-2003 at 04:23 AM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

with the 3 factors, weight, head balance and total length of the racket, we have sufficient data to measure the static head heaviness of each racket. cooler, can you calculate the head heaviness for us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great stuffs..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by cooler
    Yes, normal logic would lead us to say mp33 performance to fit within trend of other mp's numerical model naming convention. However, if we apply this logic to the MP88, then MP88 stiffness should fall between MP99>MP88>MP77 but this is not the case. MP88 is more flexy than the beginner racket mp24. I'm sure most of you out there had felt the mp88 and it has a very flexible shaft.
    My expectations weren't based on the numerical naming of the racquets, but from Yonex's graph of whether each racquet is more for Singles or Doubles, and Offense or Defence. And then just comparing similar weight racquets, which is why I didn't mention MP88.

Maybe what we are seeing with the MP33 is because it does not have the Ultimum-Ti shaft, whereas the MP77/99/100 do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

neil, Utimium Ti doesn't dictate shaft stiffness. MP88 has Utimium Ti shaft as well.

That is the whole point of my exercise, to bypass generalized terms like extra stiff, stiff, Med stiff, Med, Med flex, flex. It's different from year to year, brand to brand. MP88 and MP33 are i think very misundertood rackets. In yonex's chart it catergorized as a double racket and yet pros that i know who uses mp88 are peter gade, mia audina and ardy wiranta. I dont know yet any pros who use mp88 for double. Of course i dont know all the top players out there so i might missed some pros who do use mp88 for double.

Last weekend i went to see the Jr national qualifying competition. The most common racket used by the U19 was the MP33. Of course common doesnt mean 50% or more like the shoes (shb89). It was more like 10%. Second was MP99. The rest were other yonex, forza, victor, black knight, etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by kwun
    with the 3 factors, weight, head balance and total length of the racket, we have sufficient data to measure the static head heaviness of each racket. cooler, can you calculate the head heaviness for us?
    I didnt understand this question. I thought the table had showed how head heavy each racket compared to the cab20M. Ex. the balance point of AT700 is ~ 6% further up the racket than a cab20M.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by kwun
    also notice in the chart, if we take out the data point for the mp33. we have the 2U racket being the stiffest, then the 3U, then the 4U.

the MP33 just seems to be sitting at the wrong place.
    that is not a sound conclusion. there are 3U MP100, 2U MP99, 3U cab22/cab20 Power, 3U MP88 out there which i havent got hold of but i'm confidence that their stiffness are comparable to each of their 2U's counterpart.

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast