Direct Replacement for Muscle Power 100

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Jinyuan, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Jinyuan

Jinyuan Regular Member

I have been using Muscle Power 100 for years and plan to buy a new racket. Which racket is a direct replacement for it? (I am looking at Arc saber 10)

2. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

I think that it is the good model you are looking at to replace your MP100. The frame doesn't have the same shape but stiffness should be around the same. As for balance I can't say for sure. It's been so long since I played my friend's MP100!

3. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i was thinking about the arc10 as well, then i just remembered that i had played with my arc10 earlie last month and found the shaft medium flex, which is not so on the mp100. when i used my mp100 it was tough because the shaft was stiffer, definitely stiffer than the arc10. of course when i used the mp100 it was still on sale so it's been years. but i was thinking arc8dx, but i have never held nor played with an arc8dx, so i couldn't tell you how it feels, but i know the arc8dx is stiffer than the arc10 for sure!

if i get to play with my mp100 again then i might have a better understand of it, but since i retired it i can no longer string it :(

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I don't think I've come across a racquet quite the same as a MP100. The MP100 was my "go to" racquet in it's time.

My current go-to racquet is the Arcsber 8DX. The 8DX is not quite as stiff as the MP100, but not that far off either. It's closest equivalent is probably the MP99.

In terms of power, the MP100 is better than the 8DX slightly. But in all other areas the 8DX trumps it easily. It is far more forgiving, larger sweetspot, great feel and control and can take high tensions comfortably. It is also faster aerodynamically which is really good for defense and net play.

I would recommend trying the 8DX if you get the chance, but bare in mind that Yonex have discontinued this racquet now so it may be difficult to source.

I don't get along with the Arc10. It feels nothing like an 8DX despite what the specs say. It is an awful racquet in my opinion given the price. The Arc 10 is unforgiving, has a small and low sweetspot and is quite unstable unless you are able to hit it cleanly and well centred everytime.

Another alternative is to try one of the Victor Braveswords. They come in different stiffnesses and balances and in terms of sweetspot position, it is quite similar to the MP100 - which although makes it easier to adapt to (coming from MP100) it is also much faster aerodynamically so may upset your timing a little until you've gotten used to it.

5. mackstine

mackstine Regular Member

I agree with R2.... 8DX is a great replacement, however if you're willing to spend a bit of time adjusting, I've quite enjoyed the Bravesword 12. It took me most of a 5 hour session, but once I got the hang of it, it was so fast and so accurate.... oh dang, I want to go play with it now

I digress....
    Still play with the MP100 often though. it's a great racket, and I'm sure I'll be sad if it ever dies on me.

6. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I'm quite tempted to buy a BS12 myself (I already have a BS-LYD) but was worried the BS12 would be too flexible for me. I prefer stiff racquets usually. BS12 KRP might be an option but that's head heavier...

Wouldn't the BS12 be too flexible for someone coming from a MP100?

7. mackstine

mackstine Regular Member

oh, well if you have a BS-LYD, then maybe you don't need a BS12....
    The flexible shaft does affect your timing, but like I said, if you're willing to put in the time and effort to adjust to it, it reaps great rewards.
    I've also taken a liking to the VT80 - didn't have too much trouble adjusting to that one. it's head heavier, but the new frame is faster, so you should be able to get the hang of using that one pretty quickly.

others..... i haven't tried, but maybe consider the adipower duoforce or adipower tour?
    I'm testing an adipower pro and I like it.... the force is strong with adidas.... :)

8. ericben

ericben Regular Member

I'm looking to buy second hand mp100. Anyone of you wish to sell, please contact me 94565901. Singapore only.

Besides mp100, I'm currently also using Vt70. Bought At900p but I wasn't used to it so I sold it off. I quite like the feel of Arc7 but I haven't played with one yet.

9. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

10. carbonex 20

carbonex 20 Regular Member

engineer
    Apacs Lethal 70

11. Charles Hetu

Charles Hetu Regular Member

Education
    is there anyone selling Mp100, I want to pick a few up. It hasn't been available for sale since when?

12. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    maybe i was wrong, i played with my mp100 and i realized it's stiffer than my arc10, so maybe an 8dx.