String tension is driving me crazy!!!

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by SSSSNT, Jun 20, 2013.

1. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Okay, not really but I've been wondering why is there such a gap between recommended string tension and what people actually string at. I understand string tension isn't that big a deal but can we perhaps ponder a little bit about it.

If you see here, ashaway recommend 12-18 lbs for beginner, 18-20 lbs for intermediate (which I assume most casual players are at) and 20-25 lbs for advanced.
    http://www.ashawayusa.com/BadmintonTip8.php

If you see here, Coach Paul Stewart recommend:
    Beginner – 17lbs-19lbs
    Intermediate – 18lbs -20lbs
    Advanced – 20lbs-22lbs
    County/International – 23lbs – 25lbs
    http://badminton-coach.co.uk/272/wh...badminton-could-be-doing-more-harm-than-good/

In my area, the normal stringing tension (using machine) is 27 lbs!!! That's the tension they will do if you don't specifically ask for a different tension. What the holy cow is that?

In Badmintoncentral, I've seen absolutely no one recommend/use less than 20. Maybe there's some but it's very rare. 24 lbs seems to be more or less the norm here. That's international player level according to the website above. Are those sites extremely outdated or not accounting for tension loss or something cause I must be missing something. :confused:

2. vajrasattva

vajrasattva Regular Member

u must be from an asian country..?

3. swunk

swunk Regular Member

the tension u should use seriously depends on your wrist action, on the conditions u play in, on the shuttles u use. For example, when I play with feathers like RSL classic tourney, temp around 25 degrees C and use tension less then 25 lbs on mains - I hit out a lot, even from baseline to baseline. If i play with green plastic mavis shuttles, i'm more comfortable with a tension of 21-23 lbs.

4. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

I'm not really asking what tension is right for me. I'm just interested with the different information out there. Obviously a reputable company like Ashaway and Coach Paul Stewart isn't going to just spew out false information but so many people nowadays use 25+ lbs of tension. What gives? Are those information outdated or are the people wrong to use such high tension (even though they feel it's right)?

5. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

Just cause someone says that they have theirs strung at 27lbs doesn't mean it is true. Lots of different variables are involved.
    Such as the machine/method used and so on.
    I have 1 racket at 23lbs and my other 3 at 24lbs.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

that's why vajrasattva asked which country you're from... if europe or north am, then the colder drier climate requires slightly lower tension, as ashaway and paul recommends... simple as that

7. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

[​IMG]

8. joyping

joyping New Member

if europe or north am, then the colder drier climate requires slightly lower tension [​IMG]

9. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

I own a stringing machine and string my own rackets, I typically string in the 24-26lbs range (depends on string and racket flex), I've tested my machine so know it's accurate. Talking to the players at my club, of those who know their string tension I would estimate, after playing with their rackets, their actual tensions are typically 2-4lbs less than stated.

Of the few I used that were shop strung at a supposed tension of 27lbs, I would say they were all in the 22-24lbs range. I don't think any of them were tighter then an old string job I had at 24lbs.

So in my experience the 'real' tension numbers are a lot closer to those stated above, especially when you take into account they're a recommendation to cover both sexes. (the high tensions I quoted were all from men).

edit: I play for a club that's local league, mid table, mid league standard. i.e. advanced players on the scale above

#9 HappySachs, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  10. visor

visor Regular Member

You can always check the frequency to see the relative tension.

11. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    LOL! I dont think folks got what you were asking!!!
    So, to answer your question (to the best of my knowledge)... the companies always recommend a little lower because that is the suggested (not always optimal) and safest tension to use but do people actually follow that! Absolutely not! It is like the speed limit; even when it is written speed limit is 60 MPH, most people drive above it! But just because City/State knows that people drive above the speed limit, they are not going to increase the speed limit! Because then there is no end to it! All they can do is... recommend this is the safest speed you can drive but its up to on how fast you want to drive! Will there be consequences - heck yeah! But that risk is entirely up to you to take!
    Did that make sense?

12. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

It's kind of different with speed limit. Unless we're talking about racing and ask "during turning what should be the speed for an intermediate driver". Now that would be kinda similar.

The question actually was which one is right? If I am an intermediate players, do I go 18-20 lbs or 24-27 lbs (like many people would suggest). That's a very large difference. One of them must be more right than the other.

But Visor provided a good answer I think. It's about the climate and ashaway and Coach Paul lives in the UK which has dry and cold climate. Also further confirmed by this article: http://www.ashawayusa.com/BadmintonTip4.php.

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

But note that durability is the only concern mentioned in that article, when explaining why players in different climates choose different string tensions.

For many players who are keen enough to restring their rackets, durability is not a significant concern -- certainly not enough of a concern to dictate the string tension they choose.

So apart from durability, do strings perform significantly differently in different climates? If so, what is the difference and why does it happen?

I would be surprised if it could account for the massive difference in recommendations between "18-20 lbs vs 24-27 lbs". I suspect this is attributable more to a difference in opinion (and differences in stringing / measuring the tension).

I also think that article is very outdated:

14. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    There's a couple factors:
    - Climate
    - The information can be outdated. Nowaday's better racquets and techniques allow for higher tension usage
    - There is a very high amount of players who use tensions that are too high for them because they want to be more like pros. Higher tensions usually give a better feel when hitting the shuttle right, but it doesn't mean that the shot is better.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    those tension recommendation from Paul is what is the norm back in the 80's.

in the 80's, some people were still using natural guts and BG65 just came out.

these days string technologies have advanced leaps and bounds, strings are able to take much higher tension.

however, what yan.v says is still true, we hear a lot of people (amateurs) trying to go up to 30+lbs. in reality, that's too high for them. even myself have gone through that phase and nowadays i am back down to 24lbs.

if you have been stringing at 26+lbs, 28+lbs (true pounds, not done by some kids on a crank, but by real experience stringer on a electronics machine), try a lower tension next time you string. it will be an eye-opener.

16. Mike1337

Mike1337 Regular Member

As well as the above factors, it will also probably depend on whether you play feathers or plastics, as with feathers, higher tensions tend to be used.

17. ckyew

ckyew Regular Member

Whatever Kwun said^^:p.

I've also been through that route and is now back onto 25-26 range and is very happy with it.

For those who think that their feel with suffer with their tensions dropping, try using a stiffer/thinner (ie, Zymax 65, etc) string at lower tensions will almost recreate the same feel as thicker strings at higher tensions.

18. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Paul wrote that in 2009. Why would we assume his tension recommendation is similar to what would be written from the 80s? :confused:

Also, what would be your recommendation be like?

19. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Ashaway's tips are definitely wrong.

Paul's article is about right. Here's what I recommend to customers:

Beginner – 18lbs
    Intermediate – 20lbs -22lbs
    Advanced – 22lbs-24lbs
    County/International – 23lbs – 26lbs

The numbers aren't much different than theirs. Keep in mind that here, beginners and intermediate players almost exclusively play with plastic shuttles.

This is something I find particularly true for most people:

20. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

The Ashaway article is over 10 years old!