Weird Stringing Practices?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by donwong, Mar 12, 2003.

1. donwong

donwong Regular Member

Funny way of stringing....

I got my ISO swingpower Ti SS strung at Emmy's, MK, HKG... when i went home i found that there was 1 empty line between the 2nd last and the last horiztonal string. So i rang them up thinking they made a mistake but before i even told them the problem they could guess my question and told me that it increased the power of the racket.... they also said they string all their rackets this way now.... plz excuse my ignorance if this turns out to be common practice nowadays but i have just never seen it before! oh well... any comments? does this method do what the guy claimed?

Cheers.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Emmy oh Emmy....

i don't know about the claim of having more power. i really doubt that.

on the other hand, by having one less string in that location is not going to make the performance any worse. it may even save the weight by a tiny bit. so i would not worry about it.

and AFAIK, Emmy has been doing that style for many years.

3. donwong

donwong Regular Member

Just wondering, I'm HK chinese but i've only recently moved back to hk, can someone here kindly recommend some good stringers here? thanks a lot! btw, i got some BG88Ti at Emmy's but it costed $168..... kinda expensive i know but i couldn't find any other shop that had it and i wanted to try it out.... oh well....

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    try Luxis, i think Luxis is the best stringer i have used. he is not the cheapest, but hey, don't expect cheap and quality at the same time.

you can find info in the FAQ..

5. donwong

donwong Regular Member

thanks kwun.... yeah i guess quality and cheapness don't come together too well (if at all) :D but price isn't too much of an issue since i am not desperately poor nor am i a pro that gets rackets restrung every week or so.....

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah.

if you do re-string your TiSP SS in Luxis in the future, may be you can post your comparison of the stringing quality between Luxis and Emmy. it will be affected by personal preference, but that will still be interesting info.

7. donwong

donwong Regular Member

yes i sure will.... just a thought, maybe Kwun you could devote a section of these forums to a "Price" section and maybe sort them by geographic location eg: hong kong, manilla, taipei etc.... so then users can post their prices here and potential buyers will have an immediate pricing comparison between shops for identical models.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    nah. price changes very often. esp in HK where prices are affected by supply and you will often see prices goes up and down every couple of weeks.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Hmmmm... When I re-strung my MM90 I almost end up the same "style". However, the difference was, I was simply having trouble to put the double strings fit in a gromment. :D

At that time, I was thinking about skip the 2nd to the last cross string, but kinda worried about the tension won't be evenly distributed. Therefore, clam myself down, and took several more tries to finally let the little thing going through.

Wondering what my MM90 will be like, if I did leave it to be that way...

10. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Re: Funny way of stringing....

Hahah...that's a good claim but unfortunately it isn't true. A lot of stringers like to "sign" their jobs and ways of doing so include skipping the last cross string or adding an extra cross string (top or bottom), plus knots (e.g. double knotted or loop on final knot), etc. I have known of stringers who string the whole racquet and then put in a different colour string for the last cross string (top or bottom) and the racquet ended up having 6 knots with the last 2 knots not having any effect (good or bad) unless you constantly hit the shuttle in that area. :)

11. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

That information is probably best left in the racquet review section, whenever Mag finnishes moving all the stuff over. People there mention the price and location quite often there anyway.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Missing a string

That style of stringing was also shown in Yonex catelogues on their racquets way back in the mid/late 80's

13. gengar

gengar Regular Member

retail manager
    yah....i've seen those kind of stringing too and the stringer happens to be a former malaysian national player and it's supposed to gives u more power...at least thats wat he claimed!
    i've nop idea whether its true onot but who am i to argue with him:eek:

14. chewkl

chewkl Regular Member

Stringing with 1 horizontal line left out

Hi all, my stringer learnt a new technique stringing with the 3rd horizontal row left out. This way he says its much better at controling and attack is better. At first I didn't believe him then he showed me a picture from a local newspaper where Ong Ewe Hock also has his racket strung like that, but his is the 2nd row missing. Then he showed me a Yonex catalogue with Peter Gade in the front page, holding his racket with the 2nd horizontal row stringless. For the tension it is 21x20 (or is it 20x21 I can't remember). Have U guys heard of this before???

15. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

It might.. I'm not sure. I've never told my coach to string like that but your stringer has to realize that those are pros stringing like that so they are always going to be hitting the sweet spot. If it's a beginner, there might be a problem :)

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    There was 1 or 2 threads talking about this before. I've also seen 1 or 2 rackets being strung like this. However, never tried it.

17. Ian G.

Ian G. Regular Member

How does it play? Is it better than the regular stringing pattern or worse or no difference?

18. chewkl

chewkl Regular Member

Yodums, my stringer told me the pros have their 2nd horizontal sting missing, but for my "average Joe" capabilities, the 4th string is ommited. The difference is the "stiffness" of the string. Having the 2nd one missing will be too stiff and would require great amount of strength, but the 4th one out should be no problem. That was according to him. I will try my newly strung Cab20 Special with BG66 with the 4th line ommited tonight. Will let U guys know how it feels.

19. chan

chan Regular Member

actually, i have a friend who is missing a string, i cant remember which row,i think its the second, but i thought it was a mistake that the stringer had made. the thing is, she "shares" her racket with her brother (who is pretty advanced), so i guess he asked for that pattern...

20. flipinese_azn

flipinese_azn Regular Member

none
    this is pretty common in SE asia, they leave the second row from the bottom string out...it is said to give more "power" then when its there...im not sure if this is true or not...i cant think of any way that it increases the power of ur shot...well thats wut most are...and my friends ti-10 is also like that...so im not sure...sorry