Restring

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by baddyforever, Jun 20, 2013.

1. baddyforever

baddyforever Regular Member

nil
    What is the best strings and the preferable string tension for voltric 5?

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

The best string and tension for your voltric 5 is the same as the best string and tension you enjoyed on your last racket.
    The string/tension preference is yours. The racket has no opinion whatsoever. :)

3. Jacob mm

Jacob mm Regular Member

School
    This is not comepletly true, like thicker strings plays better on a headheavy racket with a thick frame. The racket has a lot to say, like if have really repulsive string, you might want to pair it with a more control racket to get the best from both worlds. :)

4. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Or, alternatively, not. Depending on your preference.
    If I listened to the suggested strings everybody else makes, I'd never have found the string I currently use, and which makes my play so much better.

5. TheNotoriousLIG

TheNotoriousLIG Regular Member

Student
    Whatever suits you. Try finding out what characteristics you want from your string and read around on the forum on strings that seem to match. Also consult your stringer, if they are a badminton player or a good stringer, they will have a good knowledge of the strings they stock and their characteristics and will be able to help advise you. You may also be able to make a deal with your stringer so you can try several different strings with a lower overall cost and decide which you like best. Also speak to a coach who knows your game and technique as they may have a good idea of what you may like. Bear in mind, choice of string is very subjective and the best way to really find what you like is by trying different strings for yourself.

6. baddyforever

nil
    i do not worry about the cost. I play with a head heavy raquet. The problem is, i first got my racquet restrung with YONEX NANOGY 99 @ 25 lbs. The results were magnificient. but it lasted for only 2 months, even though i played with yonex nylon shuttles (mavis series). After two months, 2 strings snapped suddenly.Then i tried YONEX BG 65 @ 23 lbs, but after 1-1/2 months, it is also on the verge of getting snapped after the next 2-3 shots i play. I havn`t tried LI-NING strings, so i am asking you people to suggest good strings, as i have an attacking game, strings with good repulsion, n durability no matter what the cost . Suggest strings (string models, as in bg-66 or NS 95) of Yonex or Li ning only beacuse except these, companies like ASHAWAY and KARAKKAL are not available.....

7. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

I don't play with plastics, but 2 months seems pretty good to me.
    If you prioritise durability, get a thicker string and chose a slightly higher tension than your preferred string.

8. TheNotoriousLIG

Student
    Tbh 25lbs with plastics is too high no matter how good you are. The plastic shuttles just crumple and rub against the string unlike feathers with deform a little then bounce off. The rubbing gets worse at higher tensions in my experience, highest I would recommend is 24lbs for plastics and even then I think its a little high. If you liked NG99, then carry on using it. 2 months of constant usage is pretty good for a thinner string like that but if you want more durability then bg80 is great (been my go to string almost exclusively for the past year) with good power and feel, grip is the best (for me) of all the strings I have tried (too many to list). If you just want durability, bg65TI seems popular for that, I can't comment though since I used it for about 2 weeks before I cut it out because it really wasn't right for me at all. I have almost exclusively owned racquets of varying head heaviness from head heavy (MX80) to hammers like the N90 and VTZF and this is what has worked for me so far however I use feathers and I use a technique of short swing and wristy shots except for smashes and net play in my play style so you may prefer something else entirely. Could you tell us more about your play style, preferred game, how often you play, skill level, size, strength, fitness etc.? Would make it a bit easier. Otherwise, try bg80, see how it goes for you. ng98 is pretty good too, little bit slippery (for my tastes) but nice power, nice sound, nice response but softer feeling. Better for people with longer swings I suspect.

9. baddyforever

nil
    my playstyle is wristy (both short and long shots), 80% attacking and 20% defensive, preferred game is badminton only, i am yet to play a district tournament. I play everyday for 3 hours, my height is 6'1" . I am thin, weighing 60 KG`s ( 132 lbs), great level of fitness, and i deliever good Jump Smashes from the back court n play with feather n nylon both. I also want a feedback on li ning strings as i haven`t tried them ever...

10. TheNotoriousLIG

Student
    I meant do u play singles, doubles or mixed mostly? I would be surprised if u didn't play badminton and just owned a racquet for stringing :p I have only tried lining strings once and they felt really weird to me. Some people love them, others like myself find them to strange to play with. I have a friend who wouldn't consider using anything else he likes his so much so I'm afraid I'm not able to help u with that. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Since u like attacking, bg66um, ng 98, bg80p are all generally preferred by power players. Bg80 original is surprisingly powerful imo but has much better durability and grip and holds tension better than all those stated above in my experience but it's a fairly hard string which may or may not suit u.

Bg66um feels great for the first couple of weeks, but I think it dies (loses feel and playability) after a couple of weeks fairly quickly so I don't use it anymore. It used to be my go to, very powerful, nice sound, above average grip, for a thin string durability was pretty good but compared to normal strings it does break quickly.

Ng95 is one to avoid imo, fantastic power and response, and the sound is great, but it frayed too easily and was slightly slippery. I used it in 3 different racquets early last year from two different stringers and was the same throughout all of them. Idk if it's been changed since then but if not then I suggest avoiding it.

Ng98 is a good string imo, very nice power, sound, and control, decent durability, but it is slippery so I don't use it. Getting a spinning net shot is very difficult for me with this string, and controlling slices was much harder than with every other string I have used but if these aren't important shots to you then definitely give it a try. It does drop about a pound within a week or so but it's pretty stable after that. Takes mishits pretty well too and its a fun string. Not too hard, not too soft, certainly worth trying. Since you're pretty tall and slicing consistently with plastics is very very difficult (for me and other players at my level) I doubt you will be slicing very much and you're probably doing steep shots with power so I think this might be the most suitable to try first but I haven't seen you play so it's all guess work on my part.

Bare in mind that 3 hours a day every day is a lot of badminton and for a string to last 2 months with that much play is not likely for much longer as your skill and strength improves it is only natural for strings to break. Using feathers more often may help your strings last longer and I find them much more fun to play with, much faster game, better control, more shots available etc. but don't be disappointed with durability as long as you are getting 4 weeks with that much play time as that is pretty good.

I am only an average player (club standard) so we may have very different opinions and preferences. I am quite short (5'7) and just over 50 kgs so I'm not built at all. I have well defined+ conditioned muscle upper body but some bulk for someone of my size on my legs. My wrist tends to be stronger than many other's despite them being over 15-20 kgs heavier and mostly solid muscle and my smashes come close in terms of power to their's and I'm usually faster around the court too but I have relatively poor consistency, especially on overheads so your opinions and preferences are likely to differ to mine but I hope this helps at least a little bit.