Calling all camera users!

Discussion in 'Badminton Photography' started by Mech10, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Mech10

Mech10 Regular Member

Hi Guys!

I'm new to cameras but wish to purchase one to get decent videos of badminton matches at my local club. I plan to mount the camera on a tripod stand and let it record away.

I'm looking at 2 different cameras but want one that can film without blurring, good image quality basically.

The 2 cameras are:

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ30
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150

http://snapsort.com/compare/Panasonic-FZ150-vs-Panasonic-TZ30

Please give reasons for your answers and try to dumb them down a bit for a novice to understand. Thanks so much for your help, I look forward to hearing from anyone willing to spare me some time.

Thanks!

2. Moonrobin

Moonrobin Regular Member

It really depends on your budget range. If it's under 500 dollars, then by all means get a point and shoot like the panasonic, but if you can go 600-700, you're looking at DSLRs with 1080p video capability shooting at 60 frames per second. The Canon EOS 600D (Rebel T3i) with the included kit lens is good enough for your purposes and it shoots great video at 1080p.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Somehow missed this thread before.

One consideration is the wide angle aspect of the lens. Having a wide angle means you have more flexibility on how close you get to court with the camera.i.e. you don't have to position the camera 30 feet away to get the whole of the court in. Wider is better and probably you'll need to consider 24mm SLR equivalent lens.

My advice is to get a tripod, and borrow other people's cameras. Video the matches and then see if the quality of those cameras is acceptable for you.

As for comparison between the two cameras both are low end. Unless somebody has personal experience of the models, it is going to be hard to make a recommendation.

4. yuki onitsura

yuki onitsura Regular Member

High school English teacher
    The lower end models will usually be sufficient for shooting high frame rate video in good lighting but as soon as the lighting becomes a bit dim, you'll lose quite a bit of quality as the camera tries to adjust for it. The lens itself is a lot more important than the camera body (not to say that isn't important but it's secondary), which is why an entry level DSLR won't cost much more than a high end compact, but the lenses could set you back anything up to a few grand.

Having said all of that, if your only interest is shooting video and photos aren't part of the plan (which is what it sounds like if you're just going to leave it on a tripod), those sport action cams are pretty good. Nice wide angle lens and they tend to shoot at very high frame rates.

5. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

For reference, I got a ContourRoam first gen and the audio capture isn't that great. There's known audio issue with that camera and I don't know if mine is the same issue. For example, when I use it as a bike helmet cam, I can hear the wind blowing really hard, but I can't hear myself talking. Room testing is sort of ok. I read that GoPro Hero cams maybe better but I have no first hand experience.

6. scann

scann Regular Member

IT - Software
    Fz200

Just upgraded this model from my previous FZ28. This Lumix model is the latest from Panasonic. Some Badminton sample videos for your viewing & consideration.
    [video=youtube;2xvKTNTsku4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xvKTNTsku4[/video]
    Slow Motion 100fps HD 720p [video=youtube;Hg1zietKxbQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hg1zietKxbQ[/video]
    Slow Motion 200fps VGA(480p) [video=youtube;gbgSwEzqjZ8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbgSwEzqjZ8[/video]

#6 scann, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I wonder why you aren't looking for a camcorder instead? Had seen this thread already (but wasn't logged on) and that was what came to mind first :D
    Having been looking for a travelzoom these past days I have to say the video quality of many of these compacts (with CMOS sensor) is hardly better than a (high end) cellphone but on a tripod only it should be just fine (and probably noticeably better). Looking at the prices the 150 is in a whole different class than the TZ-30 and having an optical viewfinder means you won't have to leave the lcd screen on whilst recording.
    Whilst browsing around for some topics about compact camera vs videocam the Panasonic LX-7 looks
    like a decent option and cheaper than the FZ-150, with Panasonic and Sony being the brands of choice in the video department (with Sony perhaps leading).
    There really is no need for >15x zoom, unless you are thinking of your own uses besides something that would be useful to shoot some matches with ;). Almost forgot to mention you will need an expensive SDXC memory card if you just want to "let it record away" as the file structure of regular SD cards has a filesize restriction of 4GB meaning limited recording time (afaik). SDXC cards use a different file structure lifting this restriction (much like your NTFS file structure on your PC today vs FAT/FAT32 on oooold ones)

In any case YouTube is a great resource for sample/test videos ...

#7 demolidor, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Demolidor,

The OP said they were new to cameras. ;)

I didn't touch on camera vs camcorder debate because none of us know if the camera footage is of acceptable quality. If it is acceptable on the camera, there's no need to confuse the issue by bringing in an extra variable. Keep things simple first.

(BTW, I do use a smaller camera to capture video footage. Even an iPhone has been used!)

#9 Cheung, Jul 12, 2013
  9. aiexrlder

aiexrlder Regular Member

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Here is a typical example of (C)MOS digicam video quality/performance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2FiZy9QLxY

I am pretty impressed with the Sony HX##V cams though as far as digicams go. Panasonic LX-7 indoor test video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_zR6tVZLz8

What, that wasn't basic :p? I think the filesize limitations are an important point though, you can maybe grab 12 minutes of continuous footage with up to SDHC cards and looking at the prices of SDXC memory cards this week it's about €1 for 1GB

#11 demolidor, Jul 12, 2013
  11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Less impressive here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U2irO7-42w

Of course these, incuding the GF5 mentioned by aiexrlder should all perform better than this when motionless on a tripod shooting only badminton videos (not sure about the focusing performance though in comparison). In short: at the 200GBP end digicam is probably the better overall choice. At the 400GBP end like the FZ-150 a camcorder should (or at least could) be considered.

I'd go for Sony HX20/30V over Panasonic TZ-30.

#12 demolidor, Jul 12, 2013
  12. kaki!

kaki! Regular Member

I mentioned camcorder to a younger crowd once (for recording badminton matches; same topic) and was told so 1999. The 20-somethings only use smartphones...

13. mobin2012

mobin2012 Regular Member

Chemical Engineer
    Hi Folks

I`m going to get a camera for recording footage of badminton playing.

My main goals are as follow on the priority order:

1 Taking good image in action with the regular lights and condition in a training venue

2 Slow-mode footage, again with regular lighting condition

3 recording special and fun footages from different angels like putting the camera on chest etc.

4 4k Video recording of the match

The price range 500-1000 USD

I think these models are the best, what is your idea?

Sony RX100 V 900$

Gopro Hero 5 450$

Xiaomi YI4K 250$

Have you ever experienced such a situation?

Thanks

#14 mobin2012, Oct 31, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you have such a varying set of requirements. but unfortunately, to be good at all those, there is no one single camera that will suffice.

1 Taking good image in action with the regular lights and condition in a training venue

you need a DSLR, although I haven't played with the latest in sensor AF before, you will still get better shots in low light with bigger lens/sensor.

2 Slow-mode footage, again with regular lighting condition

i think the best is RX100 with larger sensor and good slowmo modes.

3 recording special and fun footages from different angels like putting the camera on chest etc.

Hero 5 will be best. obviously you probably don't want to strap a RX100 or DSLR on your chest.

4 4k Video recording of the match

you want a wide lens, but not superwide. the super wide angle of action cam isn't very good. too wide and too much distortion. RX100 would sound like a good choice, but unfortunately the lens is not wide enough.

mobin2012 likes this.
  15. druss

druss Regular Member

Have you thought about the Sony 6300 w/ additional wide angle lens? Bit over budget but very versatile with the various lenses available.

mobin2012 likes this.
  16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I have Sony hdr AS50R

It's good for an action cam.

For hispeed footage, you need to go to wide angle and 720 which is annoying. Actually, the wide angle bothers me more than the 720.

A lot depends on the light in your facility. The darker it is , the worse it is. Far different to images taken outdoors.

For good images taken indoors, a camera with proper lenses are needed. Can be expensive.

mobin2012 likes this.