Do you read badminton knowledge books?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Tadashi, Jun 22, 2013.

1. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

AE278BB6CBB7487C0FF7AE706177CDE2E45AC583 is my dig
    You play badminton, then you must a quick thinker, otherwise you lose all the time. But how do you know so much?

For instance, do you actively look for tutorials, books, articles, videos (all other than coaching)? What works for you?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

match videos on bwf youtube site :D

especially the slow mo instant replays :cool:

but not all venues have useful camera angles to properly gauge the speed and angles of the shots played, eg the current singapore open and last week's indonesia open are bad. all england is best.

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I'm always interested in new teaching material -- indeed, I spend quite a lot of time making my own.

The most useful stuff for me is not on the Internet (apart from my website, of course, which is brilliant and everyone should visit five times a day ;)). I learn a lot more from a really good coaching conference than from YouTube.

The last one was with Donna Kellogg & Andy Wood (doubles) and Steve Butler (singles). That gave me lots of interesting new ideas.

It's still very useful to watch the pros, as this provides the acid test for any theory. But you need to have a theory to test first...

#3 Gollum, Jun 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  4. rayvinly

rayvinly Regular Member

iOS Developer/Mentor/Trainer/Author
    I can attest to Gollum's Badminton Bible site. I've read most if not all his articles. A lot of what he writes make sense. It helped me to transition from just playing to thinking about the game.

I also found Coach Lee on YouTube to be very good as he always demonstrates the wrong and right ways of different skills.

I've quoted them both many times in my own badminton blog, in which I try to help people improve by observing what players in my club do wrong and make them think about the game more as well as specific things they can start doing immediately.

5. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

Ah I see, apart of visor ... those who naturally are pulled into this thread are those who produce knowledge on their own. Even, rayvinly.can_do_rails(5)

~~~~ ruby
    def can_do_rails(x)
    x.times puts "I do badminton knowledge"
    end
    ~~~~
    ;)

How do you cope with what "readers" expect, even though there are other stuff that are much more important? Say, I know from website stats, people look at articles about rackets and high tension stringing like it would be it, but they seldom watch for "split steps" or other more important basics.

6. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

In other words, does it pay, what works? I see rayvingly is pretty much concerned about cost of acquisition, impressions and click trough rates ... (not to mention about conversion rates) as any content provider should, but how is badminton knowledge market niche doing? That's why I ask ...

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Crikey, is that an arch comment hidden inside some Ruby code?

I suppose it depends on your motivation.

I'm motivated by producing interesting, useful content that helps other badminton players (and coaches). I'm not motivated by scraping the bottom of the Googlebot barrel. ;) Being too mercenary can really cramp your style.

For me, it's pointless doing this unless I'm happy with what I make. If I just wanted money, I would be doing something much more lucrative, like working in a bank.

8. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

my impression is that other sports are far off with their knowledge about their sports, but badminton tremendously trails in that respect ... the only caveat I see is that atheletes are not famous for their "reading"/literacy abilities, so I deduce that coaches aren't that literate, too ... which makes the whole point of doing it pointless.

I mean you have articles and videos competing ... I guess the videos pull the audience, while articles somewhat trail ... , right?

~~~~ is a delimiter for <code> in wiki-styled "markdown," redcloth or kramdown would interpret it and turn it in a) proper html, b) would spicy the text by syntax highlighting - for the latter you give "ruby" as parameter

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Wow. I think you just managed to insult the entire audience of BC. There should be some kind of forum medal for that. :D

I'm a coach and I'm highly literate. There's your first counter-example; there will be many others.

In coaching, I prefer to treat players as intelligent people, until proven otherwise; I am rarely disappointed. Assume capability and adjust as necessary. This approach is also good for disabled people, by the way: generally they don't like being patronised either.

Of course, not all resources are appropriate for all people. A small proportion of players will not be literate enough to understand my articles. Far more will not be able to understand them because they don't speak English.

I wouldn't say "competing". They complement each other. I'm still working out how to make best use of each medium's strengths, though.

#9 Gollum, Jun 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  10. Tadashi

Tadashi Regular Member

"I'm a coach and I'm literate" otherwise you would not write articles about badminton, I suppose. How come that not everybody is doing the same?

11. betazone

betazone Regular Member

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Because it's harder than it looks to create good instructional content. Because it's hard to find the time when you're busy with other things, like earning a living.

But you're right -- I am self-selecting in that sense. Still I don't think it's wise (or correct) to dismiss a large and diverse group of people.

For example, Peter Rasmussen is a doctor as well as a badminton player.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The same reason you or I wouldn't write a book.