Can a thinner grip reduce "snap" in a shot?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by dbswansea, Jun 23, 2013.

1. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    I've recently reduced my grip from a normal grip and an overgrip to just taped wood with 2 overgrips and I was wondering if something as simple as this would result the lack of power I'm currently experiencing?

It's becoming highly frustrating.

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

A change of grip size can most definitely have an effect on power - I think it has to do with how hard one can "squeeze" the handle at the moment of impact.

Try putting an overgrip on top of your normal grip and see if that's an improvement over your usual setup - it might well be.

3. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    Thanks Mark, I'm just back from the most frustrating badminton session in a while. It was like biting someone with no teeth.

4. Dave1011

Dave1011 Regular Member

Reducing grip size has helped create more power for me but unfortunately seems to give me more shoulder pain the day afterwards. It's worth trying out different combinations of grips if you can on two of the same racket. For me Karakal PU super grip wrapped with hardly any overlap straight onto the wood works best. I hope you manage to find out what works best for you.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Thing is, now you'll never be able to tell how much the grip was having a "reverse placebo" effect:). Once you've got it into your head that the grip size is responsible, it'll stay there!

6. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    Hopefully then, a thicker grip will help. Otherwise I'll lose my mind more than I was last night.

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I would think it's down to the finger technique you employ. Then you need a period of adjustment and during this period, it's only natural to go backwards for a time.

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I may be about to succumb myself... two rackets, one grip is 3 1/4", the other is 3 5/16" - one sixteeth bigger - and I can tell the difference. Curse my OCD!

9. Hagen

Hagen Regular Member

Banker
    Lack of power can have various reasons. I also tried out different grip sizes, but in total there is not much you can do against aging :eek:

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I can do this as well;) this should be one for the badminton fanatic thread.

11. swunk

swunk Regular Member

i can tell the difference but i dunt experience any power issues changing from one to another... also when i changed from yonex g4 with an overgrip to a smaller victor g2 with an overgrip (which is like yonex g5) - i found that both my power and control improved.
    maybe you've just tired your wrist and shoulder with a lot of recent play?

12. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i can tell the difference, and have played with different grip size, usually with G4 with one overgrip is the best thickness for me, i used to have two overgrip with half overlap which results in 4 layers and it's great for power but my control is off because my wrist is no as flexible, and the thickness with just G4 and no overgrip is too small that i can't generate as much power. my victor superwave35 has an orginal grip size that is a tad smaller than yonex G4, after putting an overgrip on it, it's still smaller, but an extra overgrip will be too big, so i generate less power, plus, the shaft is stiff....sigh!!!

13. meteor

meteor Regular Member

There are many factors to consider: how big are your hands, type of racket you use hh or hl.
    One possible explanation could be that you thend to clench the handle when you smash. This forces you to "lock" your forearm muscles and therefore produce a weaker pronation "snap".

14. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    Just an update to this, I used an RKEP G11 over the normal grip to make it a bit thicker and he power is back and I was back striking fear into the people on the other side of the net :)

15. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Looks like everybody has their own optimum... just need to find the top of one's individual "bell curve":).

16. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    Maybe when I re-grip next time I'll do a 50/50 on thickness and have it thinner at the top for my front of court play and thicker down the bottom for back of court work.

17. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    you will swap grip sizes as you age. A natural progression. ;) It can go either way for some.

Mine tends to get smaller, but comfortable of course. ;)

18. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    I know the feeling Mark. I'm also quite sensitive to things like that, regardless of how small the 'difference' may be.

19. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

I like mine G4 plus 2 overgrip... I couldn't use a backhand clear if my life depended on it with a Z Speed G4 with 1 overgrip on top. Once I took the original grip off and replaced with 2 overgrips (Pacific to be precise).. Much better for me :D

I have a big hand too but I like the direct feel... Right on the wood YEAH 8) (Don't think dirty)

20. wongmb

wongmb Regular Member

My experience is once the grip gets too big, u actually lose power and pain starts developing in my shoulder.