Behind the back serve

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by McBarney, Dec 5, 2003.

1. McBarney

McBarney New Member

Hi, I know this might sound like a silly question but I just want to get a definitive answer.

Sometimes, to make the game more fun and light hearted, I through the shuttle cock using my left hand behind my back and up just over my right shoulder. Then I hit it using my racket which is in my right hand to my opponent during a serve. The racket handle is always above the head and it is a fast fluid motion, also at no point does the shuttle hit my body.

People who take the game too seriously say it's a illegal serve, I assume it is but can you tell me exactly why please??

2. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

It doesn't sound illegal to me.

Are you serving forehand or backhand? (not that it makes a difference to my answer)

When I saw the thread title I thought it was going to be a serve where the racquet goes behind the back... :)

3. McBarney

McBarney New Member

The serve ends up being forehand.

I also do another serve where I throw the racquet in the air where is does a 360 degree spin whilst also throwing the shuttle behind my back then catch the racquet (sometimes by the handle) and hit the shuttle for a very impressive serve.

I know this is illegal but it looks goods!!

4. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

The first server sounds okay (not-illegal), although I'm not 100% certain as I do not not any other details. I would assume both feet are planted, rackethead is below waist, contact is below waist, etc. It seems to me that if all rules are followed, you can make the serve look as cool/silly/fun/ you name it kind of serve; the question would be, is there an advantage to it?

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    next time ask them why they think it is illegal. you should study and memorize the rule book before hand and be prepared to defend any claims. to me, it does sounds legal.

6. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I was going to say that it's moot to offer an answer as obviously this is something that you will never use in a formal or semi-formal setting other than to fool around.

A serve is legal when at the point of impact, you are hitting the base of the shuttle first and below your waist (i.e. bottom rib), your racquet head is clearly below your hand and it is one continuous forward movement of the racquet to meet the shuttle.

Both feet (parts of) has to be in contact with the floor and stationary.

Using these "techniques" in a formal setting will probably get you
    a) distraction warning
    b) reserve as receiver not ready to receive your serve and probably
    c) illegal serve as most likely your feet will incur some movement.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    With very limited information being provided, I can't say whether it's good or not, however, I wonder what's the point for even bother to argue about whether it's legal or not:

1. If that's in serious play or tourny, such "show time" serves will give the server big disadvantage (lack of accuracy, high chance being called "fault", etc), so, regardless legal or not, I am sure u won't really use it.

2. If just for very relax play, why even care? If just playing with newbies, and want to draw some laugh, who cares it's in the rule book or not in the first place?

So, my point is: no need to really "study" this one in detail. Use it for fun, to bring up some entertainment. Make sure use the proper ones in serious play.

8. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    I use a perfectly legal behind the back serve that totally catches people by surprise. I just hold the shuttle up towards my left side and holding my racket in my right hand swing it round my back to hit the shuttle as it drops.

I can do this perfectly well for either a long singles serve and a short doubles serve. Again it is nothing more than a thing to lighten up games but there are people who say it is illegal. The racket head is below the lowest part of my hand, in fact it is probably the lowest hit serve anywhere. It is one continuous motion and the shuttle is struck on the base. And no I do not move my feet.

The funny thing is it is usually the people who are totally taken by surprise and are just left standing there because they have not reacted and are wondering why a shuttle is flying over their head and they haven't noticed it.

probably just a case of sour grapes, sometimes I just love this game :p :p :p

9. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    One could always argue that they are not ready to receive. If they attempt to intercept the serve, then they cannot argue not being ready but if they just stand that with racquet down, they have a case. In most cases, in formal setting, I would suspect that you can only execute it once (surprise element).

10. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Quite right, but I can do it twice!!

The first one is the long or high serve to the back and if I choose to do it again it will always be short to the front when they think they are ready and are moving back and it just drops nicely over the net and lands just in.

I find this one more amusing than the first going over people heads as they are struck dumb!!

11. bottleneck

bottleneck Regular Member

sales
    I guess it's illegal because a shuttle has to visible at all times during serve. Or maybe I just don't understand how you're doing it.

12. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Sorry, the shuttle has to be visable? Is that in the laws of badminton??

Even if there is a law about the shuttle being visable at all times - it is, instead of holding it out on the right side because I am right handed I hold it usually in the middle and then quickly drop it to my left hand side so the racket coming round my back hits it.

It is not an Illegal serve

13. mongoose

mongoose Regular Member

Hehe!
    This reminds me of a service I did during a fun mixed doubles game about two weeks ago.
    As usual, my partner (happened to be my girlfriend) stood close to the front T directly in front of me.
    And just for laughs, I crouched down and served the shuttle between her legs.
    Both the receiver and my partner were startled!
    But we all had a good laugh after that. :D
    Btw... was that serve legal? :p

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the receiver needs to have clear sight of the birdie, if your partner blocks the view, then it will be illegal... otherwise, i don't see any rules against it.

15. Winex West Can

Hi Tech
    What Kwun said and also you need to considered whether you are serving above your waist (as you are already crouching down) which would be low to the ground.

In situations like this (fun and social settings), I wouldn't worry about the legality of the serve, etc. I mean, come on, if you are playing socially and for fun, the whole idea is to have fun and not have someone spouting the IBF laws and what not!

16. Dill

Dill Regular Member

The serve is hit about 2 foot from the ground, I might have a large stomach but my waist is still much higher than the point of impact.

Even in comprtition it is still legal, people are afraid of the unknown and euexpected (and of course losing!!)

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i think it would be. Both your racket and the shuttle are visible to your opponent. With one forward motion, i dont see anything illegal here as long as the contact was made below your waistline. Crouching tiger and hidden dragon style:)

#17 cooler, Dec 7, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2003
  18. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    In order for the serve to be legal, you have to "present" yourself when you are ready serve. The shuttle must be in view as well when you serve it, so tossing it behind your back may be considered illegal. It's like playing mixed doubles and having your partner screen the receiver so they can't see the shuttle. So as long as the shuttle is always within view, then it will be legal.

19. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Which law says the shuttle must be in view ?

20. Pointfore.Ca

Pointfore.Ca Regular Member

Equipment Reseller
    Good point. It doesn't actually say in the laws that the shuttle has to be in view, but it does say that the partner cannot obstruct the view. I guess if you're allowed to hide the shuttle from view then you might as well.