Yonex to Victor transition

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Nicky_Boy02, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Nicky_Boy02

Nicky_Boy02 Regular Member

Space Explorer
    I have been eyeing on Victor MXJJS and TK8000 as well as TK6000 for a long time. I went to a near by badminton shop few days ago and asked if he's selling any these racket. All the while I am a Yonex user. I have been playing badminton for many years, hence many of us were of course introduced to Yonex racket. Basically, Yonex dominate the badminton world I would say. Now I'm thinking of giving victor a try, but when I asked the shop owner about victor racket, he said: people who are used to Yonex racket will find it weird to use Victor racket. What he mean was Yonex user will not like Victor racket. Anyone who own both Yonex and Victor and switch them once in a while? On top of that, can anyone briefly describe the 3 listed racket as compare to VTZF (by the way, I'm a vtzf user, I have 2 vtzf and thats it).

2. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

All 3 rackets you listed above will be faster than the Vt-ZF. the JJS would feel similar in stiffness but not as head heavy. The TK8k will feel similar to Vt-80 and the TK6k will probably feel the most head heavy but will be more flexible.
    For similar stiffness, the JJS for sure.

Victor rackets have less dampening so it feels more lively as opposed to Yonex which is dampened more and has a duller feeling upon impact.

3. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    The tk8000 felt similiar to the vt80 somehow it has a flexier shaft comapred to the vt80. would recommend you to go for a 4u jjs.(personally prefered a 4u vtzf then all those mentioned above)

4. atypical

atypical Regular Member

Systems Analyst
    I always get a strange boost of confidence when I hold my Victors (MX80 & Legend 2). None whatsoever when I hold my Yonex-s (Arc11 & Cab50).How they play is a different story of course, but my current go-to racquet is the Legend 2.

I prefer Victor.

5. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

It's personal preference of course. Some people like the muted, dampened ride of Lexus whereas others like the lively road feel of a BMW!

6. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

I am a long time Yonex user who for the last few years as been creeping over to Victor is very small steps. I own one 3U and one 4U MX-80. I have a blast with the 4U and absolutely hate the 3U. This is odd as my Yonex racquets are all 3U. My other Victor Racquet is the BS-LYD (4U) and it is what I have been using lately.

Neither Victor racquet give me the same umph on the smash or the same ability to control my opponents smash as the VT-80 does. However, drives with the Victor are pleasurable almost to the point of being sexual.

7. meteor

meteor Regular Member

Victor and Yonex are a mismatch when it comes to stiffness scales. Victor stiff is stiffer than yonex stiff. Compare mx70 with arc10 for instance... This may be a reason why some people who move to victor and aim for equivalent rackets end up disappointed :)

8. skyz82

skyz82 Regular Member

Marketing
    I'm also a yonex (cab 20 muscle sp, Ti Swing Power, arc10 n vt80pg) user who just got my first Victor racket, the brave sword LYD. Indeed victor rackets do feel more alive n fun when playing with it. Will be looking to own more victors in future! Hopefully my next one will be the Mx JJS :)

9. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

Another example I could give is : MX60 and NR500. Both are supposed to be medium in term of stiffness when in reality one is medium-stiff and the other is medium-flexible. Also the sound won't be the same, the filling inside Yonex rackets really changes the feeling and the sound.

To the original poster: it is a good time for heady heavy racket players to try Victor rackets since they have put out some nice models in that range with the TK and the Legend II

10. atypical

atypical Regular Member

Systems Analyst
    I'm enjoying my Legend II very much. My 4U version is head heavy yet reasonably quick on defense. Quite stiff, but maybe my MX80 has trained me well! Lol ....

Last Sunday, I tried my new carbonex 50. 3U4. Did everything really well. I use it for doubles. I like the control.

The victor is still a more enjoyable tool. The Cab50 is almost perfect, to me. But perfection can be boring! :D

11. lauleen

lauleen Regular Member

I'm in the same boat. Even though I don't own any of the VZTF, I've previously ever owned Yonex rackets. Last week my MXJJS arrived after deciding to try out Victor as well. Everything the guy's have said here on the forums was right, the sound when I first hit the shuttle was really weird and I'd never heard anything like it before. I'm still getting used to the racket, but I am enjoying it so far. I've got a session tonight and will try and get some more competitive games in. Was also considering getting TK8000 as well!

12. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional

from my personal experience and speaking generally between Yonex and Victor, the very very noticeable difference is the way it vibrates in your hand. While Yonex puts foam inside the racket to dampen the vibration, Victor has hollow frames which allows you to feel most if not all the vibration coming thru from a shot. just because one has foam doesn't make it stronger and one that's hollow doesn't make it weaker. i'm merely saying that the feel is very very different...to me :)

13. Hosssa

Hosssa Regular Member

I'm also moving to Victor rackets. For some reason, I just feel that my arc 5dx didn't give me the confidence that Victor gave me. I'm using BS LYD, can't wait to get the 2nd generation.

14. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

RKEP rackets have similar feeling to Victor rackets as well. Comparable to BS and MX series.

15. Mendell

Mendell Regular Member

Well, they come out of the same factory...

And how is the TK feeling? Do you feel the "catapult effect"? and how about the graphene? The new TK6000 in 4U could be very interesting (to me at least).

16. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

The TK8k has a lively feeling as well. It has a bit of a hold to it probably because of the flex. I have the Legend II as well which is a head heavier and stiffer Thruster and it's just as good.

17. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I've been using Yonex for 20+years and probably have one of the largest collection of Yonex racquets on the forum. Let's just say I like Yonex racquets. :)

I purchased my first non-Yonex racquet back in January - Victor BSLYD and was very impressed.

The feel of this is notably different from Yonex racquets. There is a lot more communication from the LYD probably because there is slightly more vibration. Some say that Yonex put a dampening material in their racquets that mutes the vibration but Victor doesn't.

It didn't take me long to get used to the LYD and no timing issues. It was as though I've been using it all along. The quality of the racquet has been good, although I did have to return my first one as there was a rattle in the handle. I've had the racquet for abotu 6mths now and I've recently noticed a small split in the paintwork beneath the "T" and at the cone.

I was expecting the cone paint to split and flake, due to the long shaft - like the ArcZS but did not expect the paint under the "T" to split. However, it does not affect play and the overall quality of the paintwork is good.

There has been some questions over the quality control of the weight class of Victor racquets - which I must say I've not experienced first hand so cannot comment. Yonex do not seem to have this problem in my experience.

The LYD has served me well, but I am beginning to wonder if I would suit a slightly more head light balance. I have to say the LYD is not my go to racquet, but it's not far off.

Anyway, without digressing onto reviewing the LYD, I'd like to say that Victor is not a new brand, it was popular in the UK when I started playing 25yrs or so ago. So the experience and knowledge of making racquets is certainly there. It's just that they haven't had the attention that the other brands have had until recent years.

In terms of strings, I would say the quality is on par with Yonex ones except that as Victor only has a small range, they may not appeal to all. Victor strings are made in Japan (iirc) and their VS850 is one of the best strings I have ever used.

Will I buy another Victor?

... I'm already looking for one!

Someone sell me their BS12 KRP! LOL

18. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    vs850 is made in japan, but i think i had a set of either 800 or 880 which was made in china...