Pure Physical Training..sort of

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ilostmybrain, Jun 25, 2013.

1. ilostmybrain

ilostmybrain Regular Member

Student
    Hey everyone!

During the summer, I won't have anytime to do any actual training except dropping in to play. So at the moment, I'm wondering if I would see any major improvements if I simply do pure physical training.

At the moment, I'm doing:

100 x 3 sets of single skips with 10 minutes straight of double skip practice
    15 x 3 sets of leg press
    15 x 3 sets of this..calf work out that I have no idea what it's called
    15 x 3 sets of curls
    15 x 3 sets of shoulder press
    15 x 3 sets of bench dips
    15 x 3 sets of wrist curls

I also..can't run for craps sake so I only stick with skipping and at the moment, is my work out good? I do the weight lifting once a week and do the skipping several times a week, about 2-3 times a week.

Suggestions on what else I need to do works too!

Thanks everyone!

2. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    I do the exercises outlined in the first few posts here, including the Rasmussen footwork drill:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...trength-(Guarantee-Improvement-after-1-month)

I also do a bit of core strength work using something called a fitness wheel. I am focussing solely on increasing leg strength, speed and flexibility this summer. Arm wise I do absolutely nothing apart from the work out they also get from the fitness wheel and swinging with the racket cover on which I am doing to re strengthen my shoulder which has been very sore in recent months and is slowly recovering.

I will admit to not sticking rigidly to the programme outlined in the post, but I am seeing benefits from doing it when I can, usually about three times a week skipping and the jump exercises.

3. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Surfing, blading, hit against the wall? ;)

4. smlorry

smlorry New Member

yes.usually about three times a week skipping and the jump exercises.[​IMG]

5. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

I'm in the same seat as the thread starter. Instead of running i bike a lot. That training program is decent but your core muscles are by far the most important in badminton, and you do nothing of those.

6. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

also you do a lot of stuff on the machines which is useless waste of time

do compound full body exercises (deadlift, squats to name the most important and best) instead of isolated exercises

7. lucius

lucius Regular Member

Assistant
    hi , I think you might want to add lunges and "horse stance like your badminton stance for endurance" to your training as well. I think your training should some how simulate with your badminton technique. Squat is also a exerecise that i found useful , but there are rumours about squat if BAD. If you are trying to learn to squat , just remember to prevent Knee collaspe. Running is also a important cardio exercise , sprint too is important.

8. ilostmybrain

ilostmybrain Regular Member

Student
    Update! I took a summer course so I didn't have enough time to do much cardio as I was only able to work out once a week at the local YMCA. After a bit more than a month of weight training, I've noticed a significant improvement in my speed and power (I am a doubles player after all). I also noticed that my shots were significantly improved, I can backhand clear easily now compared to before.

9. lordrogue

lordrogue Regular Member

It takes more than 4 sessions over 1 month for your body to start building muscle.

10. lucius

lucius Regular Member

Assistant
    Hm...Try to do some real running , it is better than the treadmill actually ~ As long as you see benefits , it is a good news.