Would LD and LCW enjoy the success they have if this had happened.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by latecomer, Jun 25, 2013.

1. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    The parents of the following athletics decided badminton is the path to fame and financial security for their children.
    1. Bruce LEE
    2. Tiger WOOD
    3. Roger FEDERER
    4. Michael JORDAN.

Assuming they are all playing in the same era and all receiving more or less professional training starting at young age. Rank them if you like. Add some more names if you wish. I personal think 1,2 and 3 would beat LCW and LD at least some of the time Including Michael just because he is an exceptional athletic. The purpose of me starting something like this is we can't be too serious all the time.

2. nooooooooooo

nooooooooooo Regular Member

LOL all I can think about is Bruce Lee with his trademark high pitch scream before every jump smash

3. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    The bird might be in your face before he landed.

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Summer holidays, eh? :D

5. visor

visor Regular Member

well... bruce lee did try out ping pong with his nunchuks... ;) ;) ;)

[video=youtube;SncapPrTusA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SncapPrTusA[/video]

6. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    In that case, I wouldn't want to be his double partner.

7. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

I doubt it, elite talent in one sport is not really transferable from one sport to another. Also, isn't it a bit insulting to LCW, Lin Dan, and badminton in general to imply that athletes from any other sport would dominate badminton if it was more financially lucrative to do so? Turning your logic around implies that Lin Dan's parents decided that since their kid wasn't good enough for basket ball, tennis or base ball they settled for steering him towards badminton.

Having said all that I recognize your post is more in the spirit of fun so in that spirit. Seriously? You think Tiger Woods (2) would beat LCW and LD??? A golfer? People that are too out of shape to carry their own bags?

8. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    If you care to check the background of Tiger Wood, you wouldn't consider him out of shape. I am not trying to say badminton players are inferior to the other athletics. My idea is badminton is a beautiful sport and I would think in my mind what would happen if the best athletics all play badminton. I watched 2012 Olympic between LD and LCW, I felt I was lucky being able to witness an exciting match. Then I always fancy myself a badminton match between LD and Roger Federer or LCW against Bruce Lee. Of course, BL and RF have to change sport. The 4 above mention persons are only of my own opinion, nothing else. Or put it more into perspective, I am also wondering what a perfect world if all the past best badminton players and the current players could playing each other at their peak. Let face it, LD and LCW are at least two level above the rest for the last few years. They can beat the other MS at will if they want to. Just stop a moment and think, forget about your nationality, when was the last memorable MS match you see after the London Olympic. Try using your imagination, imagine your favorite athletic or yourself or anybody having the formal training playing LD and LCW.

#8 latecomer, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  9. thunder.tw

More than care, I've followed his career since his college days, and if you think that one his best day his cardiovascular fitness was anything but a shadow of that required to play elite basketball, football, tennis, soccer or any other active sport you're nuts. On his best day he would be sucking wind by the 5th rally against LCW or LD.

I'll tell you what would happen, LCW and LD would still be battling for Olympic Gold and basket ball, tennis, and Kung-Fu would be a little less exciting (golf is already boring). What do you see Tiger Woods bringing to the table that current professional badminton players don't. For that matter what do you see any elite athlete from another sport bringing to the game that doesn't already exist?

And what? What would Roger Federer do that LCW can't. What do you think Bruce Lee could do in badminton that Lin Dan can't? Your fantasy is based on the crazy logic that talent is transferable from one activity to another. If Slash was forced by his parents to play the cello he still wouldn't be as good as Yo Yo Mah and if Yo Yo Mah was given an electric guitar for his 4th birth day we'd all be asking "what the hell is a Yo Yo Mah?".

The only threat to LD or LCW from badminton being more lucrative would come from some currently unknown Chinese, Malayasian, or Korean that was super talented in badminton but decided to become an accountant, lawyer or businessman instead.

#9 thunder.tw, Jun 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  10. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    If you really want to bring in players from other sports, you need only to go to squash. That's more like for like than the other sports, and squash players probably need to be (generally) physically even fitter than badminton players. Of course, they'd need to practise a lot more plyometrics and overhead racquet skills...

11. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Thunder.tw, are you a golfer? How do you rate golf, easy, medium, some what difficult, difficult very difficult or very very difficult. Please rate badminton same as above.

12. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Cobalt, I don,t have any knowledge about squash, I can't comment on whether squash players are fitter than badminton players. Beside, I have no intention of bringing players from other sports, and also I have no intention of saying other athletics are better than badminton players. What would you think if the best squash player playing badminton, will he stand a chance against LD and LCW?

13. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

its a very unrealistic imagination here..but i still wanna answer to OP my thoughts

i dont know anything about bruce lee, but from the minimal knowledge about him i would think that he has the right mind to focus on training and push himself so he would have been a good athlete in any sports..dont know about his nature given "racket - talents"

roger federer if he would have started with badminton as a child would almost certainly be a worldclass badminton player. he has a good size for badminton, tennis has a very hard competition worldwide - him beeing the guy coming out of all the good tennis players with most talent..fantastic eye-movement coordination and his ability to hard work day in day out hard working would have made him a fantastic badminton player

michael jordan: tough to say..obviously also a very hard worker...deadly competitive mentality..super athletic guy..but how about his talent to handle rackets? we cannot know about that..from his mentality to push himself every day and be motivated to beat everyone he certainly would have got it to make it to the top but he might lack of the talent that federer has so big (feeling for racket and eye-ball coordination)
    my english sucks im sorry, i hope you get my points

tiger woods: how in the world do you put him in this category...thats ridicolous
    there is just no indication at all to make any kind of judgement...we simply cannot know a bit if he would have been successfull in other sports since golf is hardly a sport...

14. thunder.tw

I used to golf but strictly as a casual activity. In terms of difficulty I would rate it as easy to medium. I would rate mastering it very highly difficult but, that goes for any activity doesn't it? But, in terms of fitness level required or energy expended I rate golf extremely low. Consider this as a recreational golfer you can spend most of the time out on the course with a beer in your hand. Try that in any other sporting activity you can imagine.

15. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Tiger Woods probably the most likely.
    This is a guy who has had the determination and mentality to rise to the top of his sport and dominate(at least before the one or two affairs:D). This in a sport that is probably the most competitive and hardest to win consistently(due to it being the easiest to have bad scores).
    If this guy had been introduced to Badminton at a young age and had available the same coaches, conditions etc. I have know doubt this guy could have become a champion in any sport.

16. visor

visor Regular Member

I would have loved to see Tiger Woods take on "Little Dragon" Bruce Lee in either badminton or tennis... :D

Tiger vs Dragon... hmmm, wonder who'll win? ;)

#16 visor, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  17. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Held on Mr han's Island? Tiger would love his pre competition treats:D

18. bowi12

bowi12 Regular Member

student
    I've read somewhere that Federer has played some badminton when he was young. I bet he would crush a lot of people here.

19. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Badminton has to be Bruce. Tennis, I go for Tiger cause he has longer reach.

20. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Golf is easy to medium? Let do an experiment, find any person with reasonable hand and eye coordination giving him or her a golf club and a racket asking that person hit the bird and a golf ball. The condition is this person never play golf and badminton before. What will be the result? I believe everyone that plays golf and badminton knows.