Basketball shoes for badminton?

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by Altu_21, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Altu_21

Altu_21 New Member

Hi im going into my 2nd year playing university varsity badminton. During my highschool and my first year of badminton I have always used basketball shoes too play badminton because my main sport was basketball. I mainly play doubles but would like to start playing competitive singles as my main event. My teammates have told me to buy badminton shoes but I really don't want too spend the money cause im scared I might not like badminton shoes. I know a lot of volleyball players that play on the national level transitioning from indoor court shoes too basketball shoes cause it helps the impact and they have also say that basketball shoes material are lighter on the feet. I just want too take my game to the next level. I play high level badminton against top players in Canada. Just wanted you guy too tell me how badminton shoes will help my game out more then basketball shoes. cheers.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    #2 Cheung, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  3. visor

visor Regular Member

If you're a heavy player ie. over 200 lbs, then the Nike Kobe 7's are basketball shoes considered good for badminton. They're very supportive and cushioned, and are even lighter than most badminton shoes.

4. Voldemont

Voldemont Regular Member

This topic has been discussed a few times in the past. In short, yes it is worthed to invest on badminton specific shoes to play badminton. Basketball shoes are OK to play with but higher off the ground.
    BTW, kobe8 trumps kobe7 in almost all aspect, weight, court feel, fit. I don't recommend kobe7 especially for badminton.

5. akbkstar

akbkstar New Member

right,They're very supportive and cushioned, and are even lighter than most badminton shoes.[​IMG]

6. Chan1011

Chan1011 Regular Member

Basketball shoes typically don't give you the support required for lateral court movements. The movements in badminton and basketball differ greatly and the shoes are build to accommodate and support your movements.

Of course badminton shoes will take some time to get used to, as you might feel support in certain areas to be different, and your previous habits may become exaggerated.

For me I have tried different types of court shoes (tennis/volleyball) to play badminton, and even though they are court shoes, compared to badminton I can definitely tell a significant difference. Badminton shoes usually have a lower center of gravity, but still provide enough cushion to support the jumping and hopping. Your response and movements are more accurate with badminton shoes.

In the end, like any sport, proper and safe experiences come from proper technique and equipment. One will not work without the other.

Enjoy :)

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Good pointing that out. Indeed, because Kobe "x" is good doesn't mean the next one is good as well. From what I read the VI, which Maklike I believe has, is relatively good for badminton purposes but the VII is quite different from it. Don't know if I read about the VIII but I might recall reading it was closer to the VI again [​IMG]

#7 demolidor, Jul 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

As far as this topic is concerned though, badminton shoes on closeout sale don't have to cost all that much. Never seen a volleyball player wearing basketball shoes either ... especially a national level and higher (probably because they are sponsored by then but still :p).

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Of course one day later I stumble upon a pic of some russian premier league vb team and 3 women are wearing Kobe VI :D. Certainly a first for me ... (not quite sure from what year the pic is).