Which is more suitable for me?Yonex Rackets

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by kerryl, Dec 7, 2003.

1. kerryl

kerryl Regular Member

I've considered on Yonex MP99, MP 77, AT500 and etc.
    I've played for about 1 year and love the game very much.
    As a beginner, I did not have a good swing skill that can not burst great power,
    I am more like a net player, sometimes smash.
    at500 4u might be a good choice?
    Many guys say mp99 is a good rackets, but really easy to be broken :(
    at500 is a new product and might not cost so much after several months,
    I am a stu., so the cost should be in consideration
    so which should I choose?
    could u give me an idea?
    I have read all the reviews on such rackets, and I hope I have given u an adequate descripiton on myself.
    ps:I am not a native English-speaker, so hope u wouldn't mind if I made mistakes in my post, thx.

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hey Kerryl,

If you're a beginner and price is definitely your top criteria for your next purchase, you shouldn't even be thinking about those top of the line racquets you listed in your post.

It's not worthwhile to invest in an expensive high performance racquet when you don't have the skills to take advantage of it. Typically, most (if not all) top of the line racquets are very light and fragile... requiring skill to hit consistently and lots of care to avoid damage (clashes with partners or hitting the floor).

You should choose something cheap and flexible... MP 22 or Carbonex 8400 will do fine for now. When you play alot longer and better, then consider moving on to a higher end. Afterall, not many people would stick to the same racquet they started with these days given the changing racquet technology and ever increasing selections.

Top priority is to play better first, then find the racquet that suits your playing style.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Kerry,

I agree with crappy75's point of view. As u are still trying to improve ur game (especially swing), I don't think those top models fit for ur need at this moment:

1. The ones u listed are stiff, which is harder for the beginner to swing properly (fast, in a sense), which means can't utlize their potential.

2. Pricy. If you are still learning, due to lack of experience and technique, u might easily hit the racket with floor, body or in a clash. All of such might easily damage ur big investment.

Personally, I would suggest to start with a relatively cheaper all graphite racket, and once ur game is more established (more consistent), then, it's the time to upgrade. By then, if the 1st racket is still "alive", u can still use it as a backup or training racket.

Come cross my own list, I will recommand Yonex Cab8200 light, if u r a Yonex believer. There are also tons of other reputable manufactures (Winex, SOTX, BlakcKnight, Yangyang, Wilson, etc), u might consider their low-mid range models as well.

4. kerryl

kerryl Regular Member

Thx LazzyBudy and cappy75:
    Thx for ur advice, maybe a nice raquect would give me more confidence:)
    so what I would still want to ask is:
    1.As I adopt ur advice, which to choose? cab8200?I prefer an ISO head, and a longer one would be much better, as I am not high:). mp22? yeah, I know they r not so expensive as a Yonex one, but some guys told me that at such a mid-level cost, choose a yonex is not a right choice. Maybe sotx? I could only buy yonex, sotx and wilson here, yet not so many models for wilson. It's really an ugly painting on the sotxs', maybe 8080+is a suitable one:) stilll an oval and not a longer one.
    2.If, I mean if I win my award, and I could afford myself a top racket, so which one of the list could fit me? It maybe a new year gift for me, u know I really love it very much. So I will be very appreciate if u could give me some idea. the rackets on my list:at500, mp77, mp99, or to describe the problem simply, which is easy to conquor, easy for a beginner to use:)
    thx again!

5. sansan88

sansan88 Regular Member

engineer
    If you are not too tall and still a beginner, use regular length racket because long ones are more difficult to master. Especially difficult for defense against body smashes (because your arm is too short). My suggestion will be MP-55, isometric and stable racket, not too expensive. Besides it is quite heavy (90g) and will train your wrist muscles.

6. kerryl

kerryl Regular Member

Will that 1cm do so much influnce?I am just wondering.
    But as the Yonex do on the ISO head, it might be a trend of the racket's development. Anyway, it's not so important.
    But u said it's a heavy one, dont' think I should choose a more light one?
    A 3u model would fit me better?
    It seemed that few people use mp55

7. Saiful

Saiful Regular Member

Travel Agency Manager
    Agree with sansan88. when i started playing badminton some time early this year, i bought yonex carbonex 8100 light as my first racquet. After a while playing with this racquet i upgrade to Yonex MP 55. You should try MP 55 or maybe Carbonex 20. The main thing here is not the racquet. But enjoy the game unless if ur are serios to enter tournement you might thinking of investing on a pair of good shoe.

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    P. R. C = People's Republic of China?

If yeah, which city? I thought SOTX should be pretty popular there, as they'be been very active to sponse many events (at least, in Beijing).

Anyway, if u look for a relatively cheaper ISO racket, maybe Woven 6. Using it, light, balanced, mid-flex to mid-stiff shaft, but regular length. Also, 8080+ is a very good buy for it's $$$, using that as well, seems a little bit more powerful than Woven 6, but tend to be a little bit heavier.

9. kerryl

kerryl Regular Member

To LazyBuddy:
    It's China of course.:)
    The sotx is really very popular here, though I am not in Beijing.
    I am in Wuhan, captial of Hubei province in the middle of China.
    Do u think sotx is a nice racket?
    Some guys say it's easy to be broken:(
    And with a bad-looking painting...
    Maybe I should consider it more...
    I heard that woven 6 is almost like mp99, yet with only 2/3 price of the latter one.

10. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

i dunno if the length of the racket is really an issue. It seems to me that if you start off with a long racket, it should be the same as starting off with a regular; takes time to get used to both.

but on topic, kerryl, what you've suggested are quite "high level" rackets. Like mentioned above, perhaps try other rackets of "lower calibur" instead. Try out a few and see which ones you like.

11. kerryl

kerryl Regular Member

What kind of rackets do ur "lower calibur" mean?
    u mean the lower level ones ?
    The racket I use now is a brand of Victor, cost me about less than $30:)
    a 100% carbon rackets.
    So u mean I should try more such rackets?

12. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    It's really fun to look for a new racquet. And yes, you will feel more confident using a new racquet. However that feeling is very brief and changes all the time.... just like winning and losing. Don't tell me that you're gonna buy a new racquet every time you need a confidence boost:p?

Believe me, the feeling of confidence coming from your improvement in skill will be so much more stronger and longer lasting than the one coming from using a new racquet. I think that it's better if you invest the money that you put aside for a new racquet into training... or even a good pair of shoes. That will help you in the long run than a new racquet.

At this time, you really don't need a new racquet unless it's broken. "Low calibre" racquets Yonexfanatic were refering to are lower end or "lower level" racquets that's cheap and relatively playable for beginners. If you really want to get a new racquet... just make sure that the racquet you're going to buy is very flexible and light. In general, more expensive racquets tend to get stiffer as the price range goes up, so it's best to avoid them for now.

#12 cappy75, Dec 9, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2003
  13. Supersmash

Supersmash Regular Member

Teacher
    But all sotx racquets have 180 days warranty term. I have a Woven-7, and have used it about for 1 year. It is still my favorite one in my bag. To the color, I like most of SOTX Woven series and 8080+.

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I don't think Woven 6 is very close compare to MP99, not saying better or worse, just different.

1. Woven 6 is definitely more flex --> easier to generate power, if u don't have a strong arm.

2. Woven 6 is regular length, while mp99 is long. This 1 cm does make a lot of difference. As of the 1cm will change the swing angle, which greatly effect the "location" (hitting spot) of the sweet spot in rallies.

3. SOTX rackets are not very easily to be broken. I used 8080+ for about 5 months, and Woven 6 for about 1. The 8080+ suffered several clashes, but still holding well. According to spec, both racket could hold at least 26lb+. Therefore, I think tension around 20-24 should be very safe. If ur tension climb higher, then, the risk will be greatly increased.

4. Go with SOTX authorized dealers or shop online www.bbesports.com (I think this is the ONLY authorzied on-line dealer for SOTX in PRC). I think SOTX carries up to 400 days warranty for manufacture defect.

15. kerryl

kerryl Regular Member

LazyBuddy:
    Yes we have 400 days warranty.
    The website u give me is correct, it's the biggest and the best online e-commerce website for badminton. It seemed that u know badminton in China very much, that I even guess u r a Chinese or u have come to China:), at least u should have some Chinese badminton friends.;)
    As now I refer to the woven series, I consider on woven-6 and woven-4a, and 8080+
    to me it's not so expensive as Yonex's high end.
    So I could bought new shoes, maybe Yonex ones. We have wood floor, which is slippery, so I wonder if the shoes will do as well as on plastic floor ;)

16. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

when i said "lower calibur," i meant a racket that isn't viewed to be the most expensive, top of the line (basically "lower leve" like cappy75 said).

Believe me, you'll be surprised to see what you'll find if you explore for the right racket. Although I use yonex, there were times when I went to a few stores and picked up some cheaper rackets. To my surprise, they acutally felt alright.

Keep looking and hopefully you'll find something that suits you.

17. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Good guess. Originally, I did came from China, and lucky enough, still able to read a little bit. :D We have SOTX dealers in North America as well, but the # of choices are nowhere close compare with BBESports.

Tell u the truth, I used all 8080+, Woven 4A (just several hrs) and Woven 6. Here are some reviews by me and several others on 8080+ and Woven 4A, hope will help u a little bit: http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10620&highlight=sotx+8080

As a quick reference, I will say Woven 4A is long (1cm), ISO head, and tend to be a little bit heavier than the other 2. If u like to play single and tend to smash a lot (require some arm/wrist/shoulder strength, though), then, 4A is definitely a good buy. Woven 6 and 8080+ is more "defensive minded", and more all around.

For the shoes, a good pair of badminton shoes should be much more important than racket. It's not only help your performance, but also has the benefit of prevent injury (more grip, better ankle support, etc) as well. Lucky for u, Yonex shoes in china are really cheap, compare to where I live. ;)