Lining AP62+ vs Zymax 62 vs Zymax 65

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by SSSSNT, Jul 1, 2013.

1. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

As my I hurt using VS850 @ 28 lbs, I would like to try thinner string at lower tension and have some questions:

1. Why is Zymax 65 endorsed as "higher repulsion" than Zymax 62? Isn't thinner = better repulsion?

2. What are the main differences between Lining AP62+ and Zymax 62? Which is better for repulsion?

3. Do these thin strings play well at 22 lbs? How about 20 lbs?

Thanks!

2. Jacob mm

Jacob mm Regular Member

School
    Hi

1. You have to remember that repulsion and power isnt the same thing.
    Thicker strings often have more power, where as thinner strings have more repulsion.
    The differcnce is how long the shuttle lays in the stringbed, on thick strings the shuttle lays a little longer giving it more "power".
    On thin strings the shuttle lays shorter time, wich means more "rapid" power.
    Thats why ZM65 is marked as highest power string out there, it has got the mix from both worlds.

3. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Also, I heard Zymax 62 and AP62+ is the same string under different brand? :eek:

Can anyone confirm this?

4. Jacob mm

Jacob mm Regular Member

School
    Yes. We suspect that, but the roughness is a little different ;) The AP62+ is a little more slippery so theoretically it should have more repulsion.

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

In answer to one of your questions, Z62 is quite fine at 22lb, if that is the tension you are used to. It has more 'pop' than most strings at that tension.

6. quixilver

quixilver Regular Member

ZM62 = AP62 while the AP62+ is a new version of AP62 with an extra thin layer of coating to increase its "extra-low durability" and most likely this coated string feels more slippery.
    Logically speaking, slippery strings are more durable than the rough ones as they will have less friction during play time.

AP62/ZM62/AP62+ are definitely more repulsive than ZM65 under the same tension since they are thinner but the problem is, the recommended tension of those .62mm strings is < 25 lbs. If you play above the recommended tension, be prepared to bring some spare rackets and some $$ to spend for restringing after the session :)

7. phaaam

phaaam Regular Member

For plastics, I would suggest thicker strings i.e. ZM65 even ZM67. However, for feather I think ZM62 or AP62 would fair better. But as others have/will say, ZM62 is prone to breakage. I would stick with ZM65 to be honest.

For me, I need high tension to play well with feather (opposite for plastics). Which means my string has to be durable at least at 25 lbs. Ideally, 27-28 lbs. would be better meaning ZM65 is my pick over anything thinner.

8. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    I've been using AP62 for over a month now, and that's 3 times a week on average of 2 hours each. I had it strung at 27.5lbs and it's yet to giveaway even after many monumental mishits. I've got Zymax 65s handy as replacement, and I'm going all out with smashes to expedite the process of replacing the strings. :) AP62 feels like it holds tension really well. I love the power and sound when you smash and drive hitting the sweet spot. I'll be stringing the Zymax 65s at similar tension to get a fair comparison, so stay tuned.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

^ If you haven't tried zm62, you should. Also like to know how it compares to ap62.

And for fair comparison, you should string zm65 1 lb higher compared to ap62.

#9 visor, Jul 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  10. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

My ZM62 on APP has been okay for the past 10+ hours of play without breaking on plastic.
    So I really suppose it it hit or miss on durability or that I'm just super lucky.

11. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    I found AP62 at 27.5lbs a little bit too stiff for my liking. So I suppose I should try Zymax at 28lbs. Zymax 65 is designed to handle upto 30lbs.

12. Porky

Porky Regular Member

Zymax string (whether 62 or 65) is definitely better than AP62+ for me personally....it's durability also wins hands down. Too bad, my regular stringer dun have this string and I've gotta string it in JB....hehe :p

13. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    AP 62 on my Pro Ace racket looks pretty frayed, and I'm getting rather excited that I'd soon get to try the ZyMax 65. :) I've decided on 28lbs.

14. pathan

pathan Regular Member

musician
    Just as I guessed, the AP62 gave away. I managed to have the last few points of my game for the day with the ZyMax 65, strung at 28lbs. It's unbelievably responsive. The repulsion is unlike any other. I may have found my second favorite badminton string. I don't think I'll ever use BG66 again, as long as I can get hold of Zymax 65. BG66 Ultimax is of course a different story. It has it's own sort of repulsion and control.

15. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Regular Member

Student
    I have a Karakal BN60 strung at 28Lbs. It plays well, repulsion is much better though power is reduced slightly. It will be a goof move if you don't bother about restringing and paying more,

16. kiko_n

kiko_n Regular Member

trader

is this the karakal string you using?

Attached Files: