Noise from spectators

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by jen_legendary, Jul 4, 2013.

1. jen_legendary

jen_legendary Regular Member

In tennis, I believe the fans have to be completely silent while the ball is in play. The umpire would have to ask them to if the players are ready to play and there's still noises. Even when there's some amazing rallies the fans still have to hold their breath until the point is over to applause. I wonder why there's no such rule in badminton. Don't players need to be focus too when the shuttle is in play? Wouldn't they be distracted when people making some 'feeling-exciting' noise when they're about to have a smash?

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Part of being a professional is coping with things like fatigue, injury, opponents' tactics and stadium conditions (for example: drift, lights, and noisy fans).

Different places have different fans. Watching broadcasts of matches from Japan, Denmark, China and Indonesia you get a sense of how quiet and how loud things can be. Surely some players are disturbed by distracting sounds.... but other players say they love it when the fans are involved. They derive energy from the 'feeling-exciting' noises.;)

For me -- a fan far from any international badminton stadium -- I am extremely grateful for the variety of atmospheres from around the world brought to my living room by the magic of the internet. :)

3. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

I don't mind the clapping and cheering but hate those African plactic horns that pretty much ruined the 2010 FIFA World Cup for me.
    They seem quite popular in the Indian Open and Indonesia Open.

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  5. jen_legendary

jen_legendary Regular Member

Thanks guys for the answers! I also think the exciting atmosphere is a part of any sports, it'd be really dumb to play in an empty stadium. The tennis crowds are also very cheerful, it's just that they have to be quiet when the ball is in play. I think you can't make that happen in badminton anyway 'cause there'd still be other courts playing and the fans cheering for them as well ;)

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Definitely, you are missing something.. Indonesian open(not india open) is the only one which i have seen with heavy noises.... But that too, we can't make rules to stop those happening. Its with the part of their life it seems.. They became so much attached to badminton that they are floating in the air ....Nothing wrong i guess..

7. phili

phili Regular Member

A rule like this would make no sense in badminton because oftentimes there are multiple matches at the same time and place.

8. markuswair

markuswair Regular Member

Student
    Yep! Totally true! T

9. SSSSNT

SSSSNT Regular Member

Isn't it strange that in Tennis and (somewhat) Badminton, it is pretty much accepted that they have to be quiet when the ball is in play. In Boxing, MMA, Football, Baseball, Basketball, etc absolutely no one is quiet and those sports need just as much concentration if not more than Badminton and Tennis. I guess it's just tradition.

10. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    my guess is that golf and tennis were/are(?) seen as a gentleman's game, so making noises might be "frowned upon".

11. yuki onitsura

yuki onitsura Regular Member

High school English teacher
    Perhaps another big reason is that tennis players very often rely on the sound of the ball being struck to judge the pace and amount of spin being put on it.