1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryH View Post
    completely agreed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Omg, thanks for sharing this video. No wonder at times I felt that my smashes are sliced.
    If never change the grip also tend to hit the metal easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of players that watch international players play (lee chong wei, lin dan etc...) try to copy their wrist action turning movement (which is advanced level play) for smashes, and then end up slices all their shots.

You need to have the correct grip first and practice hitting straight shots so that 99% of your shots hit the sweet spot of your racquet before you learn more advanced shots of pronating your wrist to deceive your opponent. That way you'll actually be slicing your shots on purpose, and not because you are mis-hitting your shots!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of players that watch international players play (lee chong wei, lin dan etc...) try to copy their wrist action turning movement (which is advanced level play) for smashes, and then end up slices all their shots.

You need to have the correct grip first and practice hitting straight shots so that 99% of your shots hit the sweet spot of your racquet before you learn more advanced shots of pronating your wrist to deceive your opponent. That way you'll actually be slicing your shots on purpose, and not because you are mis-hitting your shots!
    Thank You guys for input. I thought all coaches taught players how to pronate their wrists when hitting shots, as it is the most powerful way to hit shots. I personally have never had a coach, and as a result I don't really grasp pronation and how to execute it. I've watched the thejym's video but i still do not understand it! Can someone fill me in?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nevermind, I understand pronation now, and know its full potential after practicing it a couple times. The rotation of the forearm is extremely powerful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My grip right now is sort of in between generic V-grip and this grip we're discussing here. I am trying this grip, since it seems like pro-pictures are all showing it and LJB promotes it as well. Current my smashes are not my strongest suit, but it's not a game breaker either.

I haven't tried this with a shuttle, but my question is about the follow through. the new positions of my thumb and index finger makes it difficult to stablize the racket at the end of the swing. My other 3 fingers are doing most if not all the stablizing work now. Is this expected?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my experience, sometimes if you rotate your grip away from the basic v-grip towards a more panhandled grip, you tend to turn your body less to smash and you use more arm/wrist. When I do this, I also find it difficult to hold the racket after the smash

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2