Smash Grip

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by J_Noodles, Jul 5, 2013.

1. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Hey everyone,

While playing doubles today, I felt that I was changing my grip slightly away from basic grip a little when smashing (almost unconsciously changing the grip). I found that the slight change helped me hit smashes when I could get a good contact point in front of me, but for clears and drops, I wouldn't need to change from basic grip. Should I stick with the basic grip for smashing, or should I just stick with this grip change?

2. visor

visor Regular Member

As long as it gets you to use proper forearm pronation and hit the bird powerfully, accurately, and repeatedly to where you intend, that's all that matters. :)

3. dontmakeme

dontmakeme Regular Member

student
    You don't have to change your grip for your smash. You can control your pronation and arm swing such that you can smash without using a modified grip.

4. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Please dont tell us what the change was :)

5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    As visor said, as long as the quality is not hindered in any way, then its fine! Good luck!

6. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Thanks guys, I will just go with this change, it seems that my grip only changes when the shuttle is directly in front of me for the smash, if I try to smash when the shuttle is above me, instead of in front, my grip doesn't change, but the smash is much slower.

7. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Also, I have another question if you guys don't mind answering (doesn't have to do w/ smash). When you are the server in doubles, should you always attempt to intercept the opponents return of serve?

8. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Yes... but only if you think you can get to it to make a good attacking shot. This will hopefully force the receiver to run out of options (especially psychologically ;)) and so he has no choice but to lift to your partner at the back who will hopefully know to pound it down. :)

9. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    You should be careful of trying to intercept so much that you forget to cover the net. If they play the net, then kill it. If you can intercept a push or drive as well, then great. By the way - you only really need to cover the push/drive to the same side you are serving from i.e. the one that goes straight through where you are standing. This allows your partner to push forwards in the court, and cover the other side.

Good luck.

10. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    i believe that in general, if it's a grip that help you enhance your game, you can change. i think either someone told me or i saw it on youtube that when you smash, the web part between your thumb and index finger "should" be on the small bevel while you're gripping it. meaning if you hold your hand out your racket head is neither vertical or horizontal, but diagonal. i've tried and and have been using that grip for smashing because it seems to be the most effect for me. but when i clear, i tend to switch it back to the basic forehand grip.

11. bowi12

bowi12 Regular Member

student
    There will always be variations of the grip, depending on the situation. There is nothing wrong with that.

12. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Image0004.jpg

I managed to get a picture of the grip I use for smashing/clearing. Is the correct grip to use?

13. skinny86

skinny86 Regular Member

Make sure your grip doesn't hinder you in flicking your wrist downwards while smashing. A good final flick will bring the shuttle at a very good sharp angle.

14. amleto

amleto Regular Member

do not do this! you will injure yourself if you repeatedly use wrist flexion!

15. skinny86

skinny86 Regular Member

hmm, agree.. Maybe not always unless you need a good angle. I think what's important is the way the racket is handled to have a perpendicular 90 degree angle to the shuttle. That will give maximum power transfer and a good smash.
    Previously I never noticed my wrong handling, my racket head was slightly slanted during smash and caused many slice smashes. Those smashes are weak.

16. Aurora_

Aurora_ Regular Member

I varies my grip during the game. On a good day I rotate my grip inward (i.e. counter-clockwise for right-hander) when I manage to generate more power. On other days, I rotate it slightly to compensate for better accuracy (less power).

17. PerryH

PerryH Regular Member

Analyst
  18. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
  19. skinny86

skinny86 Regular Member

Omg, thanks for sharing this video. No wonder at times I felt that my smashes are sliced.
    If never change the grip also tend to hit the metal easily.

20. PerryH

PerryH Regular Member

Analyst
    A lot of players that watch international players play (lee chong wei, lin dan etc...) try to copy their wrist action turning movement (which is advanced level play) for smashes, and then end up slices all their shots.

You need to have the correct grip first and practice hitting straight shots so that 99% of your shots hit the sweet spot of your racquet before you learn more advanced shots of pronating your wrist to deceive your opponent. That way you'll actually be slicing your shots on purpose, and not because you are mis-hitting your shots!