User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    133
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Back Pain When Paying

    Hi,

    I am a reasonably fit 15 year old male, however I seem to have this occurring problem when playing badminton.

    Occasionally, usually after a bout of heavy smashing, I will notice a pain in my back. It is not usually very serious and it heals in a day or two but it can be quite distracting while I am playing. It is a problem I have had for quite some time now.

    I wonder if the kind members of BC could enlighten me to what is causing the problem.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    aberdeen
    Posts
    664
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Speak to a doctor and talk to a qualified coach. Also, everyone has pain when paying.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    821
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Are you bending over while or after smashing?
    Try keeping your chest up and back straight.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    594
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    your back could be too tight so when you finish the smash, you could be pulling on it too much or your back isn't strong enough so when you are smashing hard, your back can't cope.

    Take heed of the warning signs it's giving you. For the next month, do not smash hard!! Do back stretches and strengthen your core doing yoga or planks etc. Go on to youtube to get lots of videos on this.

    And then see how it goes after a month. But if you keep pushing it now without doing anything, your back will go on you very badly and your badminton game could be over for good!! Be very cautious.

    Its also very important that with every exercise you do, it feels good! When you get pain with anything, especially sharp pain, STOP!

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    came from the SAR
    Posts
    3,866
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Warm up. Stretch. Cool down.

    Proper techniques.

  6. #6
    Regular Member ChubbyCheshire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Crewe, UK
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Since hitting middle age, I find that I can get back pain after (not during) playing badminton. I make sure I sit properly after a game and also stretch my back by putting a cushion under my back for a short period when I go to bed - that seems to work

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    came from the SAR
    Posts
    3,866
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    should u rotate your back when you smash?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Burnaby, BC
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    strengthen your core and it should ease the stress on your back over time.
    planks and side planks will help

  9. #9
    Regular Member extremenanopowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SG. Go for NCAP-L2 certified coach.
    Posts
    11,744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Welcome to the league. Happens to everyone who have intense games.

    Part of enjoying a tough game.

    Just rest easy.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Afghanistan
    Posts
    82
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    of course u feel the pain when paying =)

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    719
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gingerphil79 View Post
    your back could be too tight so when you finish the smash, you could be pulling on it too much or your back isn't strong enough so when you are smashing hard, your back can't cope.

    Take heed of the warning signs it's giving you. For the next month, do not smash hard!! Do back stretches and strengthen your core doing yoga or planks etc. Go on to youtube to get lots of videos on this.

    And then see how it goes after a month. But if you keep pushing it now without doing anything, your back will go on you very badly and your badminton game could be over for good!! Be very cautious.

    Its also very important that with every exercise you do, it feels good! When you get pain with anything, especially sharp pain, STOP!
    I just created a thread about discomfort in my lower back after badminton. I usually start feeling a bit of discomfort towards the final 30-40 min. of play. I'm not sure what's causing it. The discomfort would bother me until I sit down in a chair with decent back support. Is this a sign that I'm doing something wrong or that I need to strengthen my back? It's not a sharp pain or anything, but I'm becoming concerned about it.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Heaven
    Posts
    719
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by extremenanopowe View Post
    Welcome to the league. Happens to everyone who have intense games.

    Part of enjoying a tough game.

    Just rest easy.
    Really or maybe it's something that's more common as we get older? It's only fairly recent that I've started to experiencing discomfort in my lower back. Is this a sign of something bad that's going to occur? I always thought it'll be my shoulders that will give me issues, but even after an intense session, it feels fine.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    287
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Me too, everytime when I reach for my wallet in my pants just before I buy a racket, I have back pains.

    But if the sales clerk told me you can have this racket for free, suddenly my back doesn't hurt much lol..


    In all seriousness, if your back hurts when smashing, when did you start having the pain?

    If you you had the pain since you started to play, then it might be a deeper issue, consult a doctor. If you recently having pain after a tough session, then rest a bit and do not play badminton for a while, and see if it gets better as you might have pull a muscle or hurt your back.. Also make sure you do stretching excercises before playing.

    If after rest and still does not heal, consult a doctor


    I have back pains after a session that involves too much back hand clears in the past. Then after getting trained for proper technique, most of my pains are gone. Technique is really important when preventing injuries expecially when playing a repetitive motion racket sport like badminton

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    594
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider View Post
    I just created a thread about discomfort in my lower back after badminton. I usually start feeling a bit of discomfort towards the final 30-40 min. of play. I'm not sure what's causing it. The discomfort would bother me until I sit down in a chair with decent back support. Is this a sign that I'm doing something wrong or that I need to strengthen my back? It's not a sharp pain or anything, but I'm becoming concerned about it.
    When you sit with a arch support, you are essentially taking the pressure off your spine and putting it into the correct position it should be in.

    I suggest you do more back stretches like childs pose, sideways bend and especially upward dog. Type these into youtube.

    Also there seems to be a problem with your core muscles getting tired and hence weak near the end of the session which could be putting your posture out therefore giving you pain. This is why sitting with good posture fixes that. Start doing planks and other core work to strengthen the back and abdominals. It is important that all exercises, whether stretches or strengthening all feel GOOD. Any pain, stop immediately and avoid the exercise for 4/5 days and try it again.

    Stretches should be done every day twice. Strengthening should be done 3 times a week with rest day inbetween to help with recovery.

  15. #15
    Regular Member extremenanopowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    SG. Go for NCAP-L2 certified coach.
    Posts
    11,744
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    lol... I like the pocket thingy..

    Yes, age plays a factor. Happens even when I was coaching and picking up shuttles. Just use a cheap back massager after the game to relax. Only about $80sgd.

    I also torture my opponents by punching to their backhand regularly. Part of a strategy.

    The strengthening tips above sure helps. If you can do it regularly.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •