Wilfredlgf

Discussion in 'Introduction' started by wilfredlgf, Dec 10, 2003.

1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Dear All, Wilfred here.

Origin
    I'm from East Malaysia actually, stayed here to look for a job after I got my degree.

Occupation
    An IT administrator at a private school, with a myriad of other portfolios to handle.

Badminton Skill Level
    Much better than the past 14 years as a player, technically. Average level, and hovers around that region.

Game Category
    Specifically MD.

History
    I have a brother who is very much into badminton when he was in secondary school - him and his partner were the best at the school (and perhaps among schools in the whole of district). I went occassionally to the court to see them play against a couple of their teachers, as well as adults and that introduced me to this game called badminton.

I watched Thomas Cup ties, AE, SEA Games etc on the television a lot during those days, so you can say that the our family is really into badminton although they don't play. We'd even have dinner early so that we won't miss any of the ties in Thomas Cup. We'd have a China team at one corner, a Malaysia team at the other and an Indonesia camp at the other.

I got my first racquet, the Blacken from Yonex and I used it to play with the kids from the neighbourhood with plastic shuttles, often climbing down the drain and up to collect those that fell.

My second racquet came when I was 13 when my brother bought me the Carbonex-13 for RM 135, quite hefty during those days as he wanted to encourage me to play seriously and well. Learnt a lot from my fellow classmate, and improving tremendously in all technical aspects of the game. It was also the year when TC was held in KL and I was swept by the euphoria.

Then, the mistake.

Had a one year break when I was 14 to play tennis. Had not been able to recapture my form ever since. Returned to baddy at 15, then off again for the next seven years.

BF/BC/BR

Played a couple of games with a group of students and a colleague earlier this year and suddenly, the passion returned. I went searching the net for articles of jump smashes as well as footwork, looking at photos to learn and I chanced upon BF when.

Had a look as a guest member for a while and decided to join after thinking that I could really improve more by asking questions and perhaps giving opinions as well.

And thanks to BF, I am playing better than I ever was, technically much better and definitely tactically superior than before. I had been 'coaching' a couple of students here and they too had been improving leaps and bounds, all from the guides that I put into experiment from BF.

They even call me the Yonex King at the office now! :D

Future
    I hope to learn footwork properly and maybe garner enough guts to join any small local tourneys just for the fun of it.

Nickname
    It's so obvious it's my name, no? ;)
    I have wanted to use 'redknight' at first as it is my primary handle for all internet stuff, but decided not to, scared of being 'cheesy'.
    But after a while, I noticed that some BF/BC members have even more bizzare names! Oh well...

Hobbies
    Quite a book/paperworm, I am. Hard to sit down and not read something. Otherwise, I'd be doing something with the PC or sleep.

Well, there you have it.

#1 wilfredlgf, Dec 10, 2003
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2003
  2. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Apologies for being away from BF/BC for far too long. :)

Been caught up too much with Liverpool's unexpected roller coaster of success and lows this season that I completely forgotten about the badminton calendar for good. The only time when I'd probably return properly would be during the World Championships which would also mean the end of the English football season.

To be honest, I do wish that badminton had the same kind of adrenaline pumping excitement of football, together with the same roller coaster of events all year long. Perhaps that's too much to ask since it is by tournament instead of by league, in which to mention, Liverpool and archrival the Bluesh... noses, are in contention for the final place of the Champions League for next season. And speaking about Champion's League - we defied the odds by getting past Olympiacos, Leverkusen and Juventus to set up a date with the Russian machine.

Whoever wins the WC this year won't have a bearing on who would end up #1 in the world rankings, thus, in my own opinion, sort of caused my attention to divert totally to football.

Heck, I still love badminton though. Had trouble amusing myself on Friday nights when badminton is cancelled for the week, feeling the need to smash some shuttle to the ground. I play it like I take Coca Cola, not addicted but must have some periodically or I'll go bonkers.

Been loggin into BF/BC and noticed that there had been no change to the kind of threads and questions asked:

- What sort of racquet is for me?
    - MP77 vs Ti-10, which is better?
    - What string is best for power?
    - BG 66 or BG 85?

Well, no offense to those who asked these questions, but a search could reveal that many of they had been asked before, many times.

Thus, many would notice that I'd pop by Chit-Chat more often than in the technique or equipment forum of late, simply to do an update on Liverpool's fate in 2005 "I'm Sorry...", joined in occassionally by some of the British members of BC/BF such as Dill and dvajah.

Still, I'd still blame it on Liverpool's extraordinary season so far - commanding respect from Europe's finest while eating humble pie back home to the likes of Manchester City and Birmingham. New manager, new players, new strategy, new playing style. New hope.

It's been 15 years since we became champions of England, so pardon me for the excitement but of course, years of false dawns made us sceptical and cautious but this year's roller coaster had been most welcomed to last year's mediocrity.

But the good old days will be back soon with the end of the season coming along, so cheers to all here on BC/BF.

Keep doing well and best of luck to kwun and company; at least one less poster will eventually mean less of a load on the site, however little it is! :D

ps - Kwun, the link button doesn't work under Firefox.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    sorry for the later welcome but welcome to BC :)
    Must be that after the transfer from the old BC, some posters wif older nickname got eventually deleted due to inactivity

4. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    He must be posting at the rate of 1.01 replies a minute to reach 1,455 in 24 hours. Not something the mods would be happy about, I suppose.

5. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Welcome to BadmintonForum, Wilfred! :D

Hey, uh, MP77 or Cab20, which is better? HA-HA, just kidding, lame, yeah, I know.

-dave

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Belated welcome wilfredgf :) So you are a Sabahan or Sarawakian?

7. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Hi Wilfredlgf. May liverpool thrash that poor excuse for a football club!!!

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

What happened...

(resurrecting an old Intro. thread here, hoping our wilfredlgf won't mind)...:D
    ..to your thread between the time you made your 1st post and your 2nd post , Wilfredlgf???.:confused::confused:..Like there's a big silence..I thought there would be dozens upon dozens of replies welcoming you already?!:confused:.....Were the members in awestruck after reading your bio, that they couldn't write a reply??....:confused: :p
    Btw, here's my long overdue welcome to you!!:p....In hope this'll jump start more posts/replies.....:D ;)

#8 ctjcad, Jan 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  9. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    hey hey wilfred! dont need to welcome you since you are already in dude! hahaha. sorry, that's the surfer in me talking. how's the waves in BC so far? :D

10. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Introduction: wilfredlgf

It's great to be at the Lounge now......to introduce oneself and to be re-introduced. :):):)

Perhaps 2008 will become the Great Year of Introduction@BC. :D:D:D

11. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    yeah, i am seeing a trend where old introduction threads are dug up, and new introduction threads getting a lot of hits and old member finally writing their introduction thread. :D Year 2008....Let's Get to Know Each Other Year

12. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Not at all surprising that - I was absent from BC much during the 2004/2005 thanks to Rafa and his red brigade's swashbuckling adventure around Europe.

And considering that I'm not one of the prolific posters on here, I garner a much smaller post count than a lot of new members within that period, so sort of lost my 'presence' which used to be more when the user count were still quite small.

(I know the arguments against post-count but it let's not go there - it became a major forum-wide issue in 2006 and I was one of the noise makers... :p)

The Introduction forum was only just ... introduced back then when this thread came to be and wasn't as popular a section as it is right now.

And when I came back in 2005 (as above), I don't recognise more than half of the active group of people, meaning that they don't know me either. If anything, I appear cynical and non-serious about badminton - a real departure from my old persona - probably due to how the place has changed or influence from the jokers in the UK (a British-based forum that I am also a member of).

Ah well, no big deal that. T'was nice thinking back of the good old days - BF, not BC, was 'old skool'. ;)

13. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    Hello Wilfred! 2005 was a vintage year for the Reds. It's interesting reading your history. Reading this made me laugh :

Been loggin into BF/BC and noticed that there had been no change to the kind of threads and questions asked:

- What sort of racquet is for me?
    - MP77 vs Ti-10, which is better?
    - What string is best for power?
    - BG 66 or BG 85?

14. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Liverpool to win the Champions League.

15. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    That's our consolation for this season then.

16. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Winning big ears aint no consolation. Alex Ferguson will give his right leg for that European Cup.

17. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    hi wilfred.wish u all the best(this is lame too)
    but i mean it.
    so be happy with ur life.

n liverpool,last night draw lagi.hopeless.thats my only words.what else ??

18. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    You're starting to live up to your tag as a Man Utd supporter. Keep it up.

19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmmm...

..i was just skimming over the posts in and around the same time as yours, and yeah, i noticed not many responded to those either...Also, i noticed there were about 2 or 3 threads which have the same kind of format you used (eg. with the main subject description title in bold).
    Anyway, i was just wondering and thinking if perhaps a much more 'playful' content, for the 1st post, would work...such as this below (hope wilfredlgf won't mind)...or something similar:p :);)
    =========================================================
    yo yo yo. wazzup everyone. Wilfred is here.yo!*raises right hand*
    East Malaysia in da hooouse.yo.but now livin' in kl.ya know wat i'm sayin'.yeah
    i've got some skiiiilzz.computer skiiillz to be exact and many other talentz.ya know what i'm saying'.yeah
    been playin baddy.let me tell you all.it's a bad-azz game.not too bad, not to shabby either.ya hear wat i'm sayin'.yeah
    but oh, my favorite game is da Men's Doublez only.yeah yeah.love the teamwork.it doezn't get any fun than dat.ya dig?!
    you see,i was introduced by my brotha' who's a baddy freak.ya know wat i'm sayin' yeah yeah
    i luv & been watchin' all the tourney, including the Thomas Cup, AE, SEA.you name it,i've seen 'em.yeah yeah.*waves right hand*
    my family luvz baddy.sometimes we would have early dinner, man, and will sit in groups. some would cheer for da malaysians, da chinese or da indonesians.dat waz fuuuun!!yeah yeah.
    my first racket was a kick-azz Blacken from Yonex.it'z sweeet.*pauses*yeah!*shakes head*
    i'd be playin' with da rest of da kidz.sheesh for who knows how long.and we'd be collectin' shuttles that fell on the drain.yup we were crazy about baddy.simply crazy.yeah yeah
    then came my second racket.and it waz a Carbonex 13.
    Maaan, i just luv that racket.can't forget it.i waz playin' non-stop, man, and learned a lot and my game improved.ya know wat i'm sayin'
    *chuckles*then i stopped playin' baddy and took up tennis.wat a miztake dat was.*shakes head*
    my baddy form disappeared for a year and never got it back.gone juz like dat.i returned to baddy but quit again.this time for a looong, long time.*shakes head*
    as for how i found this kool forum, well, as i was playin' with my friendz, i went online and searched for articlez on jump smashes, footwok' and picz.
    and lo and behold, i found this forum.maaaan, it was da bomb!woooooh-weeee!*raises right hand*
    i waz soo excited, i signed up right away and started posting questionz after questionz.maaan, can't forget how excited i waz.yeah!
    and if it wazn't for BF, maaaan, i don't think i woulda improved a lot.
    this place rockz & i learned a lot from this forum.ya know what i'm sayin' man.*waves right hand*
    and to my surprise, i'm even called the Yonex King at my office!!*laughs*could you beleee' dat??yeah!*raises right hand*
    well,as for the future,i'd just like to improve my footwork and play in a small tourney.ya know wat i'm sayin'.yeah
    oh, by da way, as for my nickname,i wanted to use 'redknight' but maaaan it's so cheezy.how cheezy can you get than "Hi my name is 'redknight'".ya must be jokin'.*shakes head*
    but i figured since there's a bunch of BFerz who are using weird nick-namez as well, ah well, i guezz i juz use 'wilfredlgf'.wat da heck...
    oh, as for my hobby, i juz enjoy readin'.i mean, y'all gotta give me somethin' to read y'all if i'm sittin down.ya dig?!
    and if i'm not readin', i juz like to sleeeep or play on my pee-cee.yeah
    well, there you have it y'all.
    peace y'all *2 thumps on the chest* *flashes a peace sign* out!yeah*walks out strutting*
    ==========================================================

#19 ctjcad, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  20. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    haha like Wilfred says, you're becoming a true manc now!

ctjcad - I was watching the Ali G film on tv on Friday...you do a good impression of Baddie G!

#20 crosscourt, Jan 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2008