Apacs Lethal 70 vs. Yonex VT5

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by badboy50, Jul 11, 2013.

1. badboy50

badboy50 Regular Member

Hello everyone,

I've been out of badminton action for more than 17 yrs, but recently (3 months) making a come back. I'm from NY and there are not many clubs or shops here for badminton, well this is not the most popular sports here. I've been playing with my friends old aged Carlton and Yonex rackets, but I want to buy one for my self around low $100. I'm somewhat of a power player, mostly play double and few singles here there. Tried the local shop but they only carry yonex, cheap models I didn't feel comfortable but more pricier VT80 felt right to me. So, I've doing lot of research and reading reviews to help me through this. With the budget in hand I'm focusing on these two (Apacs Lethal 70 / Yonex VT5). Which of these two will be light in hand but will deliver power without hurting the shoulder? Sorry, I know this is pretty long but please help me. Also, beside these two rackets anyone else with other suggestion?

Thank you guys.

2. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    try vt7 at least, because it's 4u so it's a tad bit lighter, better maneuverability. but still head heavy enough to get some power to smash. just my personal opinion. :)

3. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

I second the VT7 suggestion. It's light and packs a punch. Some Sportscheck actually carry the 7 and the 9. Not sure if the ones in your area do but the Waterloo one had a few of each. Otherwise your local badminton stores should have them as well.

4. fnaibaf

fnaibaf Regular Member

yonexracketchart_622_mar2013.jpg
    Based on the chart, I think VT5/9 is closer to the VT80 and if that's what feels right to you, just get the one closest to it. Gotta believe in how right the racquet feels to you.

5. GaryC

GaryC Regular Member

IT Analyst
    Well you can probably find a Lethal 70 that feels a little lighter but generally it's a head heavy racket. It's your standard 3U racket with a BP of 290 +- 5 so ya... if you find one on the lower range it'll be more manoeuvrable. It'll probably have a stiffer shaft then the VT5 and the VT80 even.

6. badboy50

badboy50 Regular Member

Wow, this is crazy... My local shops don't carry vt7, vt5 not to mention L70. There is no way I can feel than buy, only option is to get it online. So, I am just gonna have to rely on the reviews and specs from the manufacturers. I've playing with this ideas to tackle the stiffness and head heavy issue. Tell me if I'm wrong or I understand theses issues at all. For stiffer shaft, using less tension to create the power but sacrifice a little control. And for the head heavy, using over grip and some tape to draw some what of an even balance to counter the maneuvering issue but still has the power. What do you guys think?

7. badboy50

badboy50 Regular Member

Sorry, but I don't understand that chart. If head heavy gives power than top end voltrics should be on the power (+x ) axis. I know I'm missing something here.

8. dsmbooster

dsmbooster Regular Member

financial analyst
    I think the best racquet is the one fit you most. each player has own combination of numbers on the racquet. for me I chose aerodynamic head shape for easy maneuverability compare to box shape, and the shaft should be stiff(3.5-4/5), 3u provide enough power for smash, balance point 290. changing head heaviness by lead tape or adding lead to the handle is ok but not as good as the right combination of the racquet. increase weight on the racquet will slow you down a bit, and may wear you out. I tried both with lead on top of the head with one racquet and lead, or weight on the handle with other racquets, but later I found my combination, and stick with this no matter which brand. I tried Lethal 70, really stiff shaft and head heavy, it's really a powerful racquet, but i"m over 40, don't have enough power to use L70.
    If the store doesn't have many models to choose, and you're comfortable with VT80, you may find reviews of other brand racquets have similar characteristics as VT80. I find Apacs high end like Tantrum, Lethal, Visible hollow....are really stable racquets.

9. SyamzariVoltric

SyamzariVoltric Regular Member

Optometrist
    I'm using VT5 as my backup racquet. . for me, vt80 is a bit headheavy and stiffer compare to vt5, but overall - almost the same. . if you prefer cost lower than $100, you should try vt5. . max. tension for vt5 - 26lbs. . that's it disadvantages . . compare to apacs lethal - you can stringing at 28lbs. . but, in my opinions, better you try vt5 first,, . . for sure, Yonex is still the best. . :)

10. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    it doesn't work that way.. I don't know about the stiff racket + tension relation, but IMO, the power you gain from lowering your tension might NOT be as much as having less stiff racket (believe me, having lower tension when you have too stiff racket won't help you much from getting sore hand and shoulder + chance of getting injury)

for head heavy case, no, using bigger grip might give you impression of having better maneuver, however it is not because the grip countering the head heavy head (and make it even balance), but because the bigger the handle, the easier for you to grip it, hence it feels easier to move with
    however, when you actually swing it, you will still feel the head heaviness

IMO go for lethal 70, many people said it is pretty good.

11. badboy50

badboy50 Regular Member

Thank you gents for all your help. I've found this online store "badminton avenue.com" with great price and free shipping. Also, they offer paid in full 6 months with zero interest option which is a plus. IS THIS STORE LEGIT (BADMITON AVENUE.COM)?

Decided to go with the 2013 vt 7, the older vt same as vt5 did get great reviews. Here is my configs:

2013 Yonex Voltric 7 Badminton Racket
    * Flex: Medium
    * Frame Composition: H.M. Graphite
    * Shaft Composition: Carbon
    * Weight: 4U (80-84.9g)
    * Grip Size: G4 (10mm longer grip shaft)
    * Bag: Full Racket Size
    String: BG 80 white / 23lbs

Total price = $138.50

Gentlemen your thoughts on this please.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also, looking at this post on ebay. If the bidding bet similar to vt7 wins me this vt80, will most definitely take it. But first need to make sure if the vt80 is genuine. So, once again I must ask for your expertise on this. Here are some pics that seller has provided on the post.
    Note== seller has 100% positive feedback.

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      24.6 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      26.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      31.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      19.5 KB
      Views:
  12. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    as far as I remember, badmintonavenue.com is genuine seller

and the picture of VT80 is also legit. the cone code and shaft serial is within reasonable range (it is very hard to find fake US code (in fact I've never seen one))

P,S: Vt7 is a good choice. it has good spec for people who stars playing again (medium shaft)
    I like Lethal 70 because Lethal 70 is high end apacs model and being hailed as one of (if not the best) apacs racket (not even Lethal 90 surpass this racket)

#12 Avenger, Jul 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  13. badboy50

badboy50 Regular Member

Hello Avenger,

thanks for quick reply. I was leaning toward the L70 from the beginning but without much feedback and reviews I was going with the VT7. But seems to me you actually like the L70 over VT7. I can get the L70 from Badminton express for $102.99 with bg80 / 23 lbs tension.

Do you think bg80 / 23 lbs tension is a good start? Also, feedback on the store itself is most welcome.

All right boys give me the go ahead on this and I'm clicking buy on the L70 :D. Thank you again.

14. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    hi, sorry for late reply.

yeah no one because it is kinda hard to find apacs racket and what people know is big brands like yonex, victor etc (even then many people don't know lower or mid end of victor, lining etc, they only know yonex)

yeah go ahead, it is a good choice, but just wants to make sure. can you handle a stiff racket? because your choice before (VT7) is medium shaft. L70 has stiff shaft

yeah, BG80 with 23lbs is a good start. that is my current tension. if you are not sure, then go for 22lbs.
    I am not really good about string choices, but IMO, I would go something higher end like BG66UM at 23lbs. however BG80 at 23lbs is also more than fine.

to be honest, I've never heard of badmintonexpress.com so I don't really know about their service. and also I doubt there will be fake apacs.

15. badboy50

badboy50 Regular Member

They seem to be legit, have a physical store and badminton club out in cali. I'll call them tomorrow and speak with them (weekend here, store closed :crying:) to inquiry a little further. Maybe will ask them to string the racket at 23x26 lbs (suggested at apacs webste). Now, what the hell is main x cross tension? :confused: I'll be out the whole day so you lads take care. Will keep you guys posted with L70........

16. GaryC

GaryC Regular Member

IT Analyst
    Nothing wrong with the L70, just in your opening post it stated you wanted something light in hand.
    If you can handle the stiffness the L70 can't be beat, I own one and sold my VT80 afterwards.

17. taz4000

taz4000 Regular Member

Freelancer
    I have had both of these rackets they are completely different from each other, VT7 is a great racket if you haven't played in a long time even balance and light easy to use and it will be easy on your arm.

The Lethal 70 is chunky and head heavy if you want a Apacs get a Lethal 6 cheap and great racket great for both singles and doubles.

18. badboy50

badboy50 Regular Member

Update on the L70....

Hello guys, I've been very busy lately. Anyways, I placed an order (badminton express) for L70 few days back. Transaction was completed but never gotten any confirmation from them so tried to reach then by phone but didn't get any response back. Finally, I got them on phone today but I was sad to hear that they are out off L70 and can not get them any time soon :eek:. I was promised a refund very soon, but I wanted the L70.
    Anyways, badminton express seemed to be very legit, will keep you guys posted.

19. badboy50

badboy50 Regular Member

thank for your feedback on them, I've read several reviews (Lethal 6)where they talked about the vibration of the racket. Do you own or played with one lethal 6 to confirm those claims?
    Thank you..